All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Toledo Radio... so MEH

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
Radio Sucks

Toledo Radio... so MEH

Post by Radio Sucks » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:33 am

No wonder Buzzboarder WOHO laments for the loss of 1470. Driving up to Ypsilanti to visit my girlfriend at Huron Valley (she was set up) got to hear some great radio.

XKR - and OF COURSE they were playing a Van Halen song.
93.5 - This three song set "Across the River" Bruce Hornsby, "Sail On Sailor" Beach Boys, followed by "Do You Love Me" The Contours. WTH?
ESPN Radio 106.5 is WTOD-FM now?
The River - Funny how "80's to Now" includes so many 70's songs...

Thank goodness for Spotify.

Colonel Flagg

Re: Toledo Radio... so MEH

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Toledo radio was actually pretty good, when I was there, some 30 odd years ago. WIOT, as a Burkhart-Abrams consulted AOR station, was not the "mullet" demo station it is today. Offices played 101.5 WLQR, or 105FM, 3WM. Seaway1230 had it's own news department. For the hits, there was 92-5 WMHE. All of these stations were a license to print money. Then, there's the story of the little FM in Bowling Green. WRQN went bankrupt more than once, had to operate from a trailer at the old transmitter site on Gypsy Lane for a time, among many other places, and seemed to be a jinxed frequency, but with respectable numbers...a nuisance to the competition. We know how that ended.

I suppose the lesson here is, you can still do good radio with the right strategy, and the right people. But it will never be 1985 again.

"Nobody can get the truth out of me because even I don't know what it is. I keep myself in a constant state of utter confusion."

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:59 pm

EnbyCee wrote:Even the public radio station is subpar. I was listening to WGTE airing national NPR coverage at work tonight and at 2 am, with the election still not officially decided they cut it off to go back to classical music. At least WSPD had Fox News Radio on.
Geez, I wonder how many angry phone calls they've received the following day? :rollin

Not that it matters to me, I'm sure all of that was automatic as f**k.
Colonel Flagg wrote:Toledo radio was actually pretty good, when I was there, some 30 odd years ago. WIOT, as a Burkhart-Abrams consulted AOR station, was not the "mullet" demo station it is today. Offices played 101.5 WLQR, or 105FM, 3WM. Seaway1230 had it's own news department. For the hits, there was 92-5 WMHE. All of these stations were a license to print money. Then, there's the story of the little FM in Bowling Green. WRQN went bankrupt more than once, had to operate from a trailer at the old transmitter site on Gypsy Lane for a time, among many other places, and seemed to be a jinxed frequency, but with respectable numbers...a nuisance to the competition. We know how that ended.

I suppose the lesson here is, you can still do good radio with the right strategy, and the right people. But it will never be 1985 again.
Nope.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:22 am

Col. Flagg- excellent summary of Toledo radio 1985- and we can't get it back;
I wish Lee Abrams was still the music man at XM radio, but the "merger" BS ruined that with freakin Mel Karmazin destroying most of the great DJ-driven decades channels that XM had- now it's just a shadow of great it used to be; CH6 is the only close to what Abrams had going from the 40's to the 90's channels.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:34 pm

Sadly I think were stuck with The Cloud and I-heard forever. I had been getting a preview of Sirus-XM for a couple months, I feel for what they want for it for a year its overrated. I'll pass.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Was in town 2 weeks ago, helping a family member with projects around the house. I had a chance to check out Toledo stations. You have 10 Religious, 6 Country, 3 Ghetto, 1 station that sounds like there talking out of a cup, 1 Classical, 1 crappy CHR, A half ass Hot AC, and 1 lonely Christmas channel :roll:. Beside WRQN, WXKR and WIOT there isn't anything to listen to. I finally had enough, So I Pull out an old box of cassettes I had left behind and started playing them. What a BIG relief that was! WOW!! How do you guys handle these horrible stations? Toledo is one of the top markets for satellite radio.... I can definitely see why.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic