All accepted registrations through July 14 at 7:30a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Toledo radio - Napoleon tornado coverage??

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Toledo radio - Napoleon tornado coverage??

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Any Toledo radio stations simulcasting TV coverage of the massive wedge tornado near Napoleon? Or is everyone asleep at the wheel?

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Toledo radio - Napoleon tornado coverage??

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that! Hats off to both of 'em.

MEMO TO 89-EX: FIX YOUR SHITTY SOUNDING AUDIO!! WE CAN HARDLY HEAR THE FRIGGIN' STATION! Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:15 am

we were on lockdown at work for 2.5 hours, K-100 had WTVG simulcasting. My work is in Wood county, scary stuff for sure.

format this

Post by format this » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:55 am

EnbyCee wrote:Cumulus seems to be simulcasting WTVG on their major stations: not on 1470 or 100.7, but no one listens to those anyway. iheart seems to have WTOL's coverage on. Good job being on the ball from both for once. Stay safe everybody.
I feel horrible for all of you in NW Ohio. We had our fun last Saturday (Kzoo/GR).

I was following tonight's events from work and had the WTVG stream going until 7pm... WHEN THEY DUMPED IT! I switched to 24 and stayed there until everything cleared at 9:30.

Through all of this, I was unaware of the Windsor touchdown.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Note to WGN... bring back Steve Cochran ASAP.

EDIT: Steve Cochran IS BACK AT WGN!!!

Some Guy from Toledo

Post by Some Guy from Toledo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 am

EnbyCee wrote:Cumulus seems to be simulcasting WTVG on their major stations: not on 1470 or 100.7, but no one listens to those anyway. iheart seems to have WTOL's coverage on. Good job being on the ball from both for once. Stay safe everybody.
I think 92.5 had WTOL's.

windsor

Post by windsor » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:32 am

Great job by Jay and his colleagues at WTVG.They had alot better doppler and were following this storm more thorough than WTOL imo.Their doppler was hard to read and the graphic wasnt viewer friendly enough for me, I stayed with WTVG.

I know alot of us across the lake in Windsor and area were watching OTA.

Graduate of the Crankin Craig School of Broadcasting

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:10 pm

I rate the coverage WTVG tops, BUT surprisingly, WNWO was 2nd, and WTOL's big pixelated clustercluck was impossible to follow; WTVG obviously had the most up to date scans by having their own radar not being delayed by NWS.

If this had happened after 7pm or on a weekend- there would be voicetracked crap on every radio station in town - I'm glad it was still before 6pm where the station manager could actually tell their minions to run the WTVG or WTOL audio feeds on their stations.
My ONLY beef is that the stations don't ever run their original network programming on their HD-2 in such a situation.

2-1/2 years ago on a Sunday night, the last time we had a tornado in/near Lucas County, there was NOTHING local on the radio.

Deleted User 10525

Post by Deleted User 10525 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Yeah... I remember the night of june 5th or 6th I think it was 2010, when Lake High School here in Wood county was destroyed. Nothing on WSPD. That was by far one of the scariest storms I have ever been through. WSPD did have coverage after the November one in 2013.

Toledo Radio Died

Post by Toledo Radio Died » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Did 98.3 have coverage or was that tornado to far out of there range?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:58 pm

I watched a good bit of the WTVG coverage online. The stream would cut out for a few minutes at a time but then would rejoin live. They did an OK job...not great.

When they had the livestream from the storm chaser along US-6, they should've kept that video up continuously. GIGANTIC mistake to dump it, assuming the chaser was still streaming live. James Spann or Gary England would've never dumped that live video in a million years.

Cannot recall seeing a single measurement of gate-to-gate shear during WTVG's coverage, yet another shortcoming on their part.

I wish I would've checked out 24's coverage; I am embarrassed to admit that I completely forgot about them!

WTOL offered zero streaming video, from what I could tell. Looked hard for it on their web site and came up empty handed.

Radiofreewill

Post by Radiofreewill » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:44 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:WTOL offered zero streaming video, from what I could tell. Looked hard for it on their web site and came up empty handed.
It was still there; the link gets buried outside of regular broadcast times. Might want to bookmark this in case it's needed: http://www.wtol.com/story/21001117/live-stream-story

Since they use Livestream to handle their streaming nowadays, you can also access it from here: http://livestream.com/WTOL/live

Radiogoon wrote:
Steve Bauer wrote:Clinging to old technology is soooo sexy.
Damn skippy...real radios glow in the dark bizzatch.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic