Acceptable registrations in the queue through November 16, 2022 at 6:45p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

93.5 WRQN playlist

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
User avatar
Riff Raff
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 am
Location: Temperance Michigan

93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by Riff Raff » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:09 am

Seriously, how many songs do they have on there playlist rotation? It's got to be less then 50.

This has to be the most repetitive station I have ever heard my life. Yet they get high ratings, so hell what do I know? I guess many people like hearing Steve Miller Band The Joker, Bob Marley Jamming, and some Michael child molester Jackson song. I had to take this station off my car presets, as it's the same old crap all the time. |I



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:16 pm

It's been repetitive for a few years now. All the worn 70's and 80's hits. The only time it gets deeper is the 70's at 7, the 80's at 8, Tom Kent's ultimate party on Saturday nights, AT40 70's and 80's on Sunday mornings and Backtrax USA the 80's on Sunday nights. I think they now do a number 1 hit of the day every day at noon. At least you have Denny Schaffer, Timm Morrison and Becky Shock so that helps.



User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by Colonel Flagg » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:28 pm

Just from casual listening, I would guess that WRQN is using the same consultant as WOMC. To my ears, both stations sound a little bit too "white" music wise. I like WRQN's selection of weekend syndicated shows. That's all good stuff.

R.I.P, Bill Stewart. I always got a chuckle out of his on-air banter.


"I have no home. I am the wind."

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:47 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:28 pm
Just from casual listening, I would guess that WRQN is using the same consultant as WOMC. To my ears, both stations sound a little bit too "white" music wise. I like WRQN's selection of weekend syndicated shows. That's all good stuff.

R.I.P, Bill Stewart. I always got a chuckle out of his on-air banter.
I miss both Bill and Ron Sobczak. Both were great jocks.



JEDSBALLS
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by JEDSBALLS » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am

They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.



User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am

JEDSBALLS wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am
They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.
I understand WHY they are doing that, but I still don't agree with it. Here in Detroit, WOMC is doing the same thing, with a short list of Classic Rock songs, that really don't belong there... Scorpions, GNR, etc.

WRQN would be wise to look back at what they played at their peak in the '90's, but other than radio geeks, and record collectors, and Colonel Flagg, who hangs on to old hit lists and surveys?


"I have no home. I am the wind."

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am
JEDSBALLS wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am
They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.
I understand WHY they are doing that, but I still don't agree with it. Here in Detroit, WOMC is doing the same thing, with a short list of Classic Rock songs, that really don't belong there... Scorpions, GNR, etc.

WRQN would be wise to look back at what they played at their peak in the '90's, but other than radio geeks, and record collectors, and Colonel Flagg, who hangs on to old hit lists and surveys?
Are you talking about when 93.5 was 93Q?



User avatar
Colonel Flagg
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am
JEDSBALLS wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am
They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.
I understand WHY they are doing that, but I still don't agree with it. Here in Detroit, WOMC is doing the same thing, with a short list of Classic Rock songs, that really don't belong there... Scorpions, GNR, etc.

WRQN would be wise to look back at what they played at their peak in the '90's, but other than radio geeks, and record collectors, and Colonel Flagg, who hangs on to old hit lists and surveys?
Are you talking about when 93.5 was 93Q?
Yes, exactly. I think it would make more sense to pull hits from that era, then to split the difference between WXKR and WIOT. When WRQN and WXKR are both playing "Paradise City" at the same time (I've heard this) you are only competing against yourself. There are a lot of big songs, especially from roughly 1988-1995 that seem to be missing from the warmed-over Classic Hits format. One example, where are all of the Miami Sound Machine songs? I would leave the classic rock on XKR and use RQN as more of a Classic CHR. Not everyone in Toledo is a chain smoking, Pepsi guzzling factory worker. The old 93Q was very active in promoting concerts. There's no reason why that can't be done today.

Just some thoughts, from an old PD. :smokin


"I have no home. I am the wind."

radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:47 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am
JEDSBALLS wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am
They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.
I understand WHY they are doing that, but I still don't agree with it. Here in Detroit, WOMC is doing the same thing, with a short list of Classic Rock songs, that really don't belong there... Scorpions, GNR, etc.

WRQN would be wise to look back at what they played at their peak in the '90's, but other than radio geeks, and record collectors, and Colonel Flagg, who hangs on to old hit lists and surveys?
Are you talking about when 93.5 was 93Q?
Yes, exactly. I think it would make more sense to pull hits from that era, then to split the difference between WXKR and WIOT. When WRQN and WXKR are both playing "Paradise City" at the same time (I've heard this) you are only competing against yourself. There are a lot of big songs, especially from roughly 1988-1995 that seem to be missing from the warmed-over Classic Hits format. One example, where are all of the Miami Sound Machine songs? I would leave the classic rock on XKR and use RQN as more of a Classic CHR. Not everyone in Toledo is a chain smoking, Pepsi guzzling factory worker. The old 93Q was very active in promoting concerts. There's no reason why that can't be done today.

Just some thoughts, from an old PD. :smokin
I agree. I've heard "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Livin on A Prayer", "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Paradise City" on both. WRQN should have all the pop and soul hits from the 70's and 80's and XKR should just play the rock hits. MW stated a while back that WRQN added more rock to stop people from tuning into a competitor. I bet most of the at work audience that RQN has doesn't want to hear screaming vocals. Not to mention, Timm Morrison's smooth voice followed by Brian Johnson or Joe Elliott's screaming vocals sound weird.



armchair pd
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:46 pm
Location: B.F.E.

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by armchair pd » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:40 pm

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:47 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am
JEDSBALLS wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am
They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.
I understand WHY they are doing that, but I still don't agree with it. Here in Detroit, WOMC is doing the same thing, with a short list of Classic Rock songs, that really don't belong there... Scorpions, GNR, etc.

WRQN would be wise to look back at what they played at their peak in the '90's, but other than radio geeks, and record collectors, and Colonel Flagg, who hangs on to old hit lists and surveys?
Are you talking about when 93.5 was 93Q?
Yes, exactly. I think it would make more sense to pull hits from that era, then to split the difference between WXKR and WIOT. When WRQN and WXKR are both playing "Paradise City" at the same time (I've heard this) you are only competing against yourself. There are a lot of big songs, especially from roughly 1988-1995 that seem to be missing from the warmed-over Classic Hits format. One example, where are all of the Miami Sound Machine songs? I would leave the classic rock on XKR and use RQN as more of a Classic CHR. Not everyone in Toledo is a chain smoking, Pepsi guzzling factory worker. The old 93Q was very active in promoting concerts. There's no reason why that can't be done today.

Just some thoughts, from an old PD. :smokin
I agree. I've heard "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Livin on A Prayer", "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Paradise City" on both. WRQN should have all the pop and soul hits from the 70's and 80's and XKR should just play the rock hits. MW stated a while back that WRQN added more rock to stop people from tuning into a competitor. I bet most of the at work audience that RQN has doesn't want to hear screaming vocals. Not to mention, Timm Morrison's smooth voice followed by Brian Johnson or Joe Elliott's screaming vocals sound weird.
Prince. Janet. MSM.
Would freshen up the station and give it some energy. Call it 93Q.
WOMC wants to be WCSX. As long as Roberts is there, they will never be a high energy classic hits pop station.



radioandtventhusiast
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:08 pm

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:12 pm

WRQN plays Prince quite a bit. They only seem to play Janet and the Miami Sound Machine during their all 80's hour every night at 8.



User avatar
AMFMTV
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: 93.5 WRQN playlist

Post by AMFMTV » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:38 pm

armchair pd wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:40 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:47 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:27 pm
radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:40 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:36 am
JEDSBALLS wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:25 am
They seem to be sharing a bit more "Classic Rock" with XKR.
I understand WHY they are doing that, but I still don't agree with it. Here in Detroit, WOMC is doing the same thing, with a short list of Classic Rock songs, that really don't belong there... Scorpions, GNR, etc.

WRQN would be wise to look back at what they played at their peak in the '90's, but other than radio geeks, and record collectors, and Colonel Flagg, who hangs on to old hit lists and surveys?
Are you talking about when 93.5 was 93Q?
Yes, exactly. I think it would make more sense to pull hits from that era, then to split the difference between WXKR and WIOT. When WRQN and WXKR are both playing "Paradise City" at the same time (I've heard this) you are only competing against yourself. There are a lot of big songs, especially from roughly 1988-1995 that seem to be missing from the warmed-over Classic Hits format. One example, where are all of the Miami Sound Machine songs? I would leave the classic rock on XKR and use RQN as more of a Classic CHR. Not everyone in Toledo is a chain smoking, Pepsi guzzling factory worker. The old 93Q was very active in promoting concerts. There's no reason why that can't be done today.

Just some thoughts, from an old PD. :smokin
I agree. I've heard "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Livin on A Prayer", "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Paradise City" on both. WRQN should have all the pop and soul hits from the 70's and 80's and XKR should just play the rock hits. MW stated a while back that WRQN added more rock to stop people from tuning into a competitor. I bet most of the at work audience that RQN has doesn't want to hear screaming vocals. Not to mention, Timm Morrison's smooth voice followed by Brian Johnson or Joe Elliott's screaming vocals sound weird.
Prince. Janet. MSM.
Would freshen up the station and give it some energy. Call it 93Q.
WOMC wants to be WCSX. As long as Roberts is there, they will never be a high energy classic hits pop station.
I doubt Tim Roberts has a lot of say in the playlist. WOMC in the ballpark of Audacy sister stations WCBS-FM, KEARTH, KOOL/Phoenix, etc. Tim is a country guy, that's his bread 'n butter. I'm sure he's more dialed into WYCD than WOMC.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic