Notice to all Buzzboard readers & posters: A requested server migration took place Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I did not re-point my DNS records to the new server until roughly 7:45p ET on Monday, November 12. As a result, any posts and new user registrations occurring between the nighttime hours of 11/10 and approximately 7:45p ET on Monday, 11/12 have been lost.

This was unavoidable, and the longer I waited to re-point to the new server, the greater the number of posts that would've been lost.

Please feel free to resubmit any threads / posts you created. They will NOT be lost this time! Many thanks for your patience these past couple of weeks while I've worked to migrate the Buzzboard to a more secure, more robust platform.

Check out the Buzzboard's newest forum - the Buzzboard Marketplace! Find it here: http://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31

Let's Play Pretend.....

A place to go for those of you who wish to discuss happenings in OH, IN, IL, WI, and Ontario. OSU sucks, by the way.
JGP1954

Let's Play Pretend.....

Post by JGP1954 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 pm

Hey Folks:

I've been out of radio for years, but I still have a nostalgic interest. I have heard that 1520AM (Rossford) is being spun off from its FM (Waseon). Now, let's play a game and be creative. What would some you broadcast veterans do with the programming and marketing with this facility? Don't be mean, just creative. It's not your money, just think about the possibilities. Is there a programming hole in the market? It's a challenge, but I'm sure you're up to it. WPAY's power is 500w. days/400W. nights. Plus, there's a FM repeater. I didn't even know there was a 1520AM in Toledo until a few days ago. I don't know anything about their signal, does it cover the entire Toledo market ? I have only a tangential knowledge of the Toledo market. But, I'm curious as hell about what creative types would do with this facility. Lastly... Blowing it up is not an option in this game. Try to think outside the box, if possible.

1027BrianFM

Re: Let's Play Pretend.....

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 pm

First off, I would fix the issue with The FM translator, so it sounded like it's supposed to. As for a format, I'd run Scott Shannon's True Oldies channel. Maybe go local mid days and afternoons, True Oldies the rest of the time. Maybe offer time to some brokered shows that are currently on 100.7fm on Sundays. Also, maybe air Smooth Jazz on Sundays as well part of the day. Maybe see if I could get the WTTO call letters.

The signal does cover the market and goes about as far north as Downriver Detroit and about as far south as Findlay Ohio. There was talk of emf selling 1520 earlier this year but the deal fell through, so i'm told.

Cumulus, please do Toledo a favor and Blow 106.5 The Ticket up.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:31 pm

How about a nice mix of death metal, Ragtime Rick and Norm Wamer.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm

LOL Z-rock did have a good share of AM affiliates back in the day, Hire Z-man and you got a a Toledo favorite.

WOHO

Post by WOHO » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:27 pm

I end-up having to watch Normy Wamer and his two buddies Saturday nights when WNWO has no 11pm newscast, and "entertaining" might be the word for it, while I'm waiting for SNL to start.

1520 has a 'cigar pattern' reaches those North South constraints quite well, but their plan to make it a 10KW back in 1970 fell-through, as they would have been T-towns most powerful AM station, but would have had a big NE null to stay away from Buffalo. Good idea snagging some heritage callsign such as WTTO, WOHO or WLQR.

EnbyCee

Post by EnbyCee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:18 am

When that sports show on 24 first started, someone on Twitter said they initially thought it was an eating contest from the appearance of the hosts.

Norm's a good guy.

deadend

Post by deadend » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:29 pm

Was Norm Wormer the guy known throughout the city as "Captain Sweatpants"?

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm

1520 has a booming signal in Erie, MI, but that signal hides a dirty secret - it has a strong, narrow lobe and receives a lot of interference at night (evident at Alexis and Secor). To its credit, it sounds good and had a transmitter plant built in this century.

The travesty is its FM translator. It obviously gets its signal directly over the air. Lightning crashes are easily heard anytime thunderstorms are around. Worse, when conditions are good, the audio is distorted and very low-fidelity (they need to replace their ham radio receiver with something that has a broader IF), and their translator is also where the signal receives audible co-channel interference at night.

1027BrianFM

Post by 1027BrianFM » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am

I had always wondered why Toledo never had a full power AM, meaning like 10k watt or something like that. At time, I guess there was no way they could have moved to a different spot on the dial? That's interesting WOHO. I remember reading that Pastor Pitts put a lot of money into the station before he sold it.

innate-in-you

Post by innate-in-you » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:06 pm

1027BrianFM wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:42 am
I had always wondered why Toledo never had a full power AM, meaning like 10k watt or something like that.
For decades (From General Order 40 to, I believe, the late eighties), 5,000 watts was the set limit on all regional channels.

If the FCC actually resets the protected contours from .5mV/m, to 2mV/m, as has been proposed, we could see Speedy, along with the stations on 1360 and 1380 around them, cranking up the juice.

I must add that I'm not impressed with WSPD's signal. It should be booming in Temperance, it's on good soil, without obstructions, but it's weaker than WJR.

My guess is that they need to replace their radials.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic