Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WCMU Transmitter Building Fire

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan

Re: WCMU Transmitter Building Fire

Post by ftballfan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:36 pm

Graham Wellington wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:24 pm
Maybe CMU should rent WFDX:

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2659 ... in-hawaii/
(scroll down)
It wouldn't be the first time a public radio station has rented one of Northern Broadcasting's former stations! A few years back, WIAA aired on 105.5 WSRJ for a few months after its transmitter went kaput (WIAA did remain on the air on 88.7 with a backup transmitter)

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:34 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:13 pm
WPHN 90.5 is back on the air with an STA. The signal seems weaker, but is still coming in adequately 35 miles away. Don't know the details of the STA, location, ERP, or HAAT.
The Engineering STA for WPHN 90.5 was filed today: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... c&goBack=N

From the attachment:

"Northern Christian Radio, Inc. (“Licensee”), licensee of broadcast station WPHN(FM), Gaylord, Michigan, FCC Facility ID 49536 (the “Station”) respectfully requests Engineering Special Temporary Authority (“STA”) to operate the Station at reduced power and from a temporary trailer placed at the original transmitter site to house the Station’s transmitter due to the total destruction by fire of the Station’s transmitter building and all of the equipment within (see attached photos) which occurred on February 28, 2024. Licensee proposes to operate the Station from the original tower with a Nautel 2.5 Transmitter power operating at 2.5 kilowatts TPO and an Effective Radiated Power (“ERP”) of 10,000 watts.

"Licensee has been advised that it could be 9-12 months before a new permanent tower will be erected at the site. The public interest will be served by allowing the station to operate to provide service to at least some listeners through grant of the requested STA while Licensee diligently works towards rebuilding its facilities and restoring full licensed operations."

Indeed the attachment has two photos, that show the remnants of the transmitter building and perimeter fence. No view of the temporary trailer.

Take care, Statmanmi

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:53 pm

Pretty crispy

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:15 am

I might humbly suggest the good folks at WCMU attend today’s Michigan Association of Broadcasters Engineering Conference in Lansing.

https://www.michiganmedia.com/michigan- ... onference/

Not sure if there is a specific session on how not to completely burn down your transmitter site… but there should be one.

HD74

Post by HD74 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:26 pm

There was such an event put on by Nautel.
You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:58 pm

Is CMU committed to putting WCML and WCML-FM back on the air soon? Seems like they could do what WPHN has, at least for the FM. It sounds like the antennas weren't damaged. Still haven't heard about the damage to the actual towers. It looks like the transmission lines were only damaged to where they were hanging off the horizontal support structure pictured.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:34 am

I think CMU is still trying to figure out how to hold a membership telethon to pay to replace batteries in the transmitter’s smoke detector.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:04 am

Yep. Typical up north fire. Nothing left but the footings.

Unfortunately, many retiring engineers are being replaced with glorified I.T guys. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but many of these new, so called "Engineers" are nothing more than glorified shipping clerks, who spend a lot of time sending emails reminding you to change your password.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:44 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:04 am
Yep. Typical up north fire. Nothing left but the footings.

Unfortunately, many retiring engineers are being replaced with glorified I.T guys. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but many of these new, so called "Engineers" are nothing more than glorified shipping clerks, who spend a lot of time sending emails reminding you to change your password.
When I visited the site almost 40 years ago, one of the CMU 24/7 42 hour shift engineers who was staying there told me that WPHN was operating from the tower now and that "those Christian guys sure know how to raise money". They also have a team of experts who were committed to getting it back on the air as soon as possible that are like the equivalent of an Amish "barn raising". CMU should borrow some ideas from them.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

rugratsonline

Post by rugratsonline » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:37 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:44 am
When I visited the site almost 40 years ago, one of the CMU 24/7 42 hour shift engineers who was staying there told me that WPHN was operating from the tower now and that "those Christian guys sure know how to raise money". They also have a team of experts who were committed to getting it back on the air as soon as possible that are like the equivalent of an Amish "barn raising". CMU should borrow some ideas from them.
Considering that many public broadcasting outlets are having their pledge periods this month, I imagine that CMU will be taking a big hit with the funding, as donors in northeastern Michigan are unable to hear them on the radio or, without cable, see them on TV. Probably won't be as big a deal for TV, as many have cable or satellite, but certainly would on the radio side if they have no signal in that region.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:55 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:44 am
Nothing matches exploiting Jesus for profit, especially in the deep woods.
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:19 pm

Is 89.9.WLJN in financial doo-doo?

Their web page shows only two on-air personalities, and I find it interesting that 105.5 (previously part of their now defunct Fuel FM brand) is now in the hands of a direct competitor.

WLJN lacks the geographic scale that Smile FM and Promise FM enjoy.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:19 pm
Is 89.9.WLJN in financial doo-doo?

Their web page shows only two on-air personalities, and I find it interesting that 105.5 (previously part of their now defunct Fuel FM brand) is now in the hands of a direct competitor.
I was told Promise FM is took over the entire operation months ago. Don't know much more, but a local engineer lost the contract.

More here https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =7&t=62924
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:32 am

Thanks for the info.

It's interesting that 89.9 is still being run as its own brand.
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:43 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:32 am
Thanks for the info.

It's interesting that 89.9 is still being run as its own brand.
89.9/107.9 have apparently shifted to a praise and worship format: https://www.promisefm.com/promiseblog/b ... -new-thing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic