Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TC Talks

Re: Look at all the FCC silent notifications in N. Michigan...

Post by TC Talks » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm

since16 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:57 am
TC Talks wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:29 pm

Existing operators are struggling.
Are you sure about that?
The only one who isn't is maxed out of stations, but I believe he too isn't rolling in Beji'$

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:12 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:08 pm

I have no idea who would want 1110, 1210, or 960, or what could be done with any of those. A lot of people don't know, WJML-FM came first. The daytime AM on 1110 was added later.
The place where I first heard WJML 1110 in late 1966 was just a couple of miles from where Ed McKenzie and Don McComb lived in their later years. Wish I had known them like you did.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat May 06, 2023 8:49 am

Are you sure about that?
The majority in Northern MI certainly are. Station values have plummeted for a reason.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat May 06, 2023 3:23 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:49 am
Are you sure about that?
The majority in Northern MI certainly are. Station values have plummeted for a reason.
Midwestern and MacGarb will never get the value of what their properties were worth 20 years ago. They will probably dissolve in a similar fashion to Northern Broadcasting when the respective families are done operating.

What would you speculate the 50kW WLDR would fetch today (dark, with no real estate, crumby tower lease and with no revenue for years)?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat May 06, 2023 8:47 pm

WLDR is 100 kW. WCCW-FM is 50 kW.

The WLDR facility looks like up compared to many stations, as long as a company isn't maxed out under 73.3555, and you could iron out the tower situation. Maybe go to a 12 Bay antenna to cut power consumption.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Sun May 07, 2023 12:18 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 3:23 pm
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:49 am
Are you sure about that?
Midwestern and MacGarb will never get the value of what their properties were worth 20 years ago. They will probably dissolve in a similar fashion to Northern Broadcasting when the respective families are done operating.

What would you speculate the 50kW WLDR would fetch today (dark, with no real estate, crumby tower lease and with no revenue for years)?
Didn't Roy pay an exorbitant amount for WLDR (something like $2 million) in the early 2000s?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 pm

3.2 mil I recall

― Noam Chomsky

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 07, 2023 3:34 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:47 pm
WLDR is 100 kW. WCCW-FM is 50 kW.

The WLDR facility looks like up compared to many stations, as long as a company isn't maxed out under 73.3555, and you could iron out the tower situation. Maybe go to a 12 Bay antenna to cut power consumption.
Again, who would do that? The station has no business value. It's the license, some older equipment and an expensive tower lease. You'd never see payoff.

― Noam Chomsky

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Sun May 07, 2023 4:20 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm
since16 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Are you sure about that?
The only one who isn't is maxed out of stations, but I believe he too isn't rolling in Beji'$

Dear Talks a.k.a. “Bugsy”,

With all the negativity you are “spewing” on this board, I feel compelled to ask you… Are you okay?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 07, 2023 5:26 pm

NMCSpeaks wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:20 pm
TC Talks wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm
since16 wrote:
TC Talks wrote:

Are you sure about that?
Dear Talks a.k.a. “Bugsy”,
With all the negativity you are “spewing” on this board, I feel compelled to ask you… Are you okay?
Just fine, and you?

I don't get the bugsy reference but is there anything in particular that brought you out from your rock today?

If I recall (and I don't pay too close attention) you seem to only appear when there is a discussion about failing broadcasters in the area.

― Noam Chomsky

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sun May 07, 2023 5:59 pm

Did you drive the bus without a windshield again?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 07, 2023 7:19 pm

audiophile wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:59 pm
Audiophile what are you babbling about?

To my point above; in 2003 commerical stations were selling 12 to 18 times ebitda. Today, based on what I read in the trades, stations sale prices are barely 4 times. Compound that with the fact that profit and revenue are both down since social media has captured many traditional ad dollars, making ebitda lower. WLDR has no revenue, and just went dark. It's virtually useles.

So what do you and one of our whack-a-moles have in common?

― Noam Chomsky

since16

Post by since16 » Sun May 07, 2023 7:34 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:19 pm
audiophile wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:59 pm
Audiophile what are you babbling about?

To my point above; in 2003 commerical stations were selling 12 to 18 times ebitda. Today, based on what I read in the trades, stations sale prices are barely 4 times. Compound that with the fact that profit and revenue are both down since social media has captured many traditional ad dollars, making ebitda lower. WLDR has no revenue, and just went dark. It's virtually useles.

So what do you and one of our whack-a-moles have in common?
TC, I think you are generalizing all stations and that is not the case. So let me set some of the record straight. In our particular case we are closing in on the final $50k that will put us in a spot where we match the highest revenue of our station in the past 22 years and we are just in Q2 so we'll probably reach that mark.

Next, the perception is that dollars are going to digital, but the advertisers are seeing just as much as all of the rest of us that it is not as effective and we have seen a lot of advertisers either come back to radio or compliment the two mediums and that is not just a trickle effect, but in leaps and bounds. (it takes stations to do it the right way of course).

Next, who says that stations want to sell and get out. Hell, we are jumping in, with both feet and enjoying every moment of it. In fact, we are putting on another station here soon. Why, because we're paying our bills, we're building a small little empire and we are not seeing any negatives or slowdown and I guess that's just our perspective from actually inside the walls of the radio station where it's not perception, but reality.

Just my two cents.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun May 07, 2023 7:42 pm

That news is excellent, but is it an anomaly that you are enjoying? You are lucky.

There are three operators who run business like a business. Mac Gar is generationally established in Petoskey, and Midwestern is part of the fabric of the business community in Traverse City. The owners of Black Diamond have decades of success with sales.

But is there a succession plan at any of these groups? I am confident the values are lower as I stated.

Where does this leave anyone else?

― Noam Chomsky

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Wed May 10, 2023 6:29 am

It's sad that the Tigers don't even have a terrestrial radio station in Traverse City.....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic