Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blarney Stone Broadcasting

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Colonel Flagg

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:10 pm

Let's not forget WJML Petoskey. Blarney had that facility under LMA as well.

"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:36 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:10 pm
Also, WHAK 960 is silent, owned by Mitten News, and was LMAed to Blarney Stone, with their Sports Format.
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:57 pm

Blarney Stone is selling WMQU to Relevant Radio.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... c&goBack=N
"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

tvbobn

Post by tvbobn » Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:19 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:57 pm
Blarney Stone is selling WMQU to Relevant Radio.

https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... c&goBack=N
Donating, not selling.
Frontier Airlines SUCKS! They're a bunch of thieves. Don't fly with them!

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:50 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:36 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:10 pm
Also, WHAK 960 is silent, owned by Mitten News, and was LMAed to Blarney Stone, with their Sports Format.
Mitten News, or whatever it's called, had quite a roster of hobbled facilities. I'd hate to see the electric bill for AM 1210 in Kingsley.
"Don't you knock when you enter a room?"

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:16 pm

From reading this be board some time ago,it sounded like 1100 WJML had made significant improvements at the transmitter site after Mitten News took over.They have been off the air for some months now due to lack of being profitable according to FCC filings I believe.

wJNL 1210AM meanwhile,recently reduced their power.Can't recall the details.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:31 pm

Profitability isn't relevant to stay dark and not lose the license? How long can they stay dark?
“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:44 pm

May of been a bit off in my above post,WJML is apparently silent due to financing reasons.

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:10 am

This is a nothing burger as to WMQU. Relevant aka Baraga has been programming the station for 7 years and a donation of the license after that period was part of the original LMA. Just a completion of an older deal.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:23 am

LOL @ WMQU's coverage area. How many listeners does that station have? Maybe a few hundred per week at the most?
Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:10 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:23 am
LOL @ WMQU's coverage area. How many listeners does that station have? Maybe a few hundred per week at the most?
If you look at applications of Michigan AM BC stations which have done upgrades in the last 20 years, which are on the FCC Website, you'll also see that radials crossing that area have only a small fraction of the conductivity shown on the FCC M-3 Map. That's also why so many AM stations in North Central Michigan left the air years ago when FM took off. What is now WMQU 1230 was originally WGRY 1590 Grayling. They changed so they could be full-time, basically full power, without a directional antenna. If they and others had held on to them though, many would have 250 watt FM translators as well as FM stations.

Pick a County in Michigan from this link. You'll see what the soil types are. The lacustrine ones, and some moraines, are good conductivity, glacial ice contact, sand and gravel and stones are not.

https://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/resources/quaternary-geology

-Author Unknown

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:34 pm

The paperwork has caught up to reality. FCC filings of Silent STA forms were made today by Mitten News, signed by Mr. Yob with his signature title being "Sole Member". 5 total:
* WYPV 94.5 FM Mackinaw City
* WWMN 106.3 FM Thompsonville
* WHAK 960 AM Rogers City
* WJNL 1210 AM Kingsley
* W266CS 101.1 FM Traverse City, the translator from WJNL

The attached Exhibit for each reads almost identical. From WWMN's filing (link: https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/datae ... 7&goBack=N ):

"WWMN (FCC Fac. ID 10809) went off the air on March 31, 2023, due to financial constraints and Licensee’s ongoing attempts to assign the WWMN license to another entity. Accordingly, Licensee respectfully requests this Special Temporary Authority to remain silent until either its financial difficulties have been resolved or a suitable assignee has been identified."

Upthread WJML 1110 AM Petoskey was mentioned. The extension of its Silent STA occurred in Feb., with the attachment then reading, "WJML (FCC Fac. ID 63483) went off the air on June 21, 2022 due to financing issues and Licensee’s ongoing attempts to assign the license to another entity...."

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic