Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Surprise format change in Alpena

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
lurker

Re: Surprise format change in Alpena

Post by lurker » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:26 am

Hit social media yesterday. https://www.facebook.com/thebird1057

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:41 pm

Oldies, eh? I hadn't even thought they might try to duplicate the WCCW-FM format in Alpena, especially since there are multiple Classic Hits choices in the market (Wave, Hits FM, the Mac FM translator on 98.1). But those listeners who miss the way 99.9 The Wave used to sound should welcome this change.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:36 am

This choice makes sense given how many old geezers live up north.

I believe one of the major syndicators (Westwood One?) offers a satellite format called "Good Time Oldies." I suspect that will serve as the programming source for most if not all dayparts.

I would expect a playlist similar to 101.3 in Grand Rapids for those of you familiar with that station; music from the 60s and 70s will comprise the backbone of the playlist.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:19 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:36 am
This choice makes sense given how many old geezers live up north.

I believe one of the major syndicators (Westwood One?) offers a satellite format called "Good Time Oldies." I suspect that will serve as the programming source for most if not all dayparts.

I would expect a playlist similar to 101.3 in Grand Rapids for those of you familiar with that station; music from the 60s and 70s will comprise the backbone of the playlist.
According to RadioInsight, it's going to be locally or at least regionally staffed. Brian Hale is the PD, Michael Knight is doing mornings and WCCW-FM's Rich Nadeau will track afternoons from TC. Other dayparts will probably be automated.
I recall Good Time Oldies on 101.5 WMJZ in Gaylord when the brand was distributed by JRN, before 101.5 switched to The Eagle. 97.7 WCHY in Cheboygan features a very similar format from Local Radio Networks called Super Hits.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:29 am

Nice to see some air talent based in Northern MI featured!

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:44 pm

Assuming I heard right,Jack O'Malley will soon be working for Midwestern's Alpena cluster.If true,not sure if it would be an on or off air position.Either way,I would have to imagine he would be working remotely from the Traverse City area.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic