Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Traverse City - Petoskey Nielsen Audio #s

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Traverse City - Petoskey Nielsen Audio #s

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:47 pm

What a disaster for Z93! Their morning show sucks. Too old; too boring.

Nice rebound for Rock 105.

Star Country isn't doing great, but bear in mind the published numbers are a two period average. Looks like they've made a dent in both 102.9 and 103.5.

KLT is numero uno.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb335

ftballfan

Re: Traverse City - Petoskey Nielsen Audio #s

Post by ftballfan » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:02 pm

92.9 was also likely hurt by the market boundary changing to remove Cadillac and Manistee from the market (two areas where Z93 doesn't have to compete with KHQ)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:55 pm

Possibly, but 96.7 The Bull was unfazed.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:44 am

Z93 has always been a throwaway station for Midwest. It's just a way for the sales department to suggest that they reach women.

Interlochen would fall in right behind wtcm am if they were in the book.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:40 am

Gee, you weren't taking that angle in Z93's early days.

103.5 WTCM is probably #1 among women nearly every ratings cycle.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:32 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:40 am
Gee, you weren't taking that angle in Z93's early days.

103.5 WTCM is probably #1 among women nearly every ratings cycle.
I was optimistic when they tried AAA, which would have killed in Traverse City proper, but that opportunity closed with Smart Phones. They need the rural commuters to survive these days.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:36 pm

I'm talking about when they first went CHR. You predicted KHQ's ratings in the south half of the market would take a big hit.

I'm not sure the long defunct Breeze was ever a true AAA. They certainly played some AAA compatible artists for a time, but to me the station sounded a bit more Modern AC. The station didn't fit neatly into a format box at the time.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:09 pm

The reason women have moved to Country is that much of Rock and Hot AC has become lyrically and instrumentally atrocious.

The beginnings of AAA started over 50 years ago, when WTRX chaged from Top 40 to a modern artist MOR/AC, substituting such artists as early relatively unknown Melanie for such artists as Frank Sinatra. The same thing happened. Within a few years, the format had evolved to more modern version of MOR, which had started to be called AC. I wish that the Colonel here had found those dittoed "Tunetables" from that era, in house and record store copies, when he was mining old studios for memorabilia. That would show that it really isn't anything new, just a similar approach in a different era.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:04 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:09 pm
The reason women have moved to Country is that much of Rock and Hot AC has become lyrically and instrumentally atrocious.

The beginnings of AAA started over 50 years ago, when WTRX chaged from Top 40 to a modern artist MOR/AC, substituting such artists as early relatively unknown Melanie for such artists as Frank Sinatra. The same thing happened. Within a few years, the format had evolved to more modern version of MOR, which had started to be called AC. I wish that the Colonel here had found those dittoed "Tunetables" from that era, in house and record store copies, when he was mining old studios for memorabilia. That would show that it really isn't anything new, just a similar approach in a different era.
Don't think we're talking about the same format. AAA is a product of the freeform FM era in the'70s. It comes out of Prog Rock and Pop Folk with a bit of Americana thrown in. It actually replaced Mor on most FM stations

― Noam Chomsky

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:42 am

Formats are defined from the stations that choose the labels. Both WTTS in Indy and KCRW "Eclectic 24" call themselves "Adult Alternative" but the playlists are VERY different. WXRT in Chicago kinda splits the difference between these two. I don't remember the Breeze, but a well programmed stations featuring classic "softer" rock and current AAA classics would do really well in any market.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:44 am

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:04 am
Ben Zonia wrote:

Don't think we're talking about the same format. AAA is a product of the freeform FM era in the'70s. It comes out of Prog Rock and Pop Folk with a bit of Americana thrown in. It actually replaced Mor on most FM stations
The formats may be different, but the idea was the same. Nothing really new under the sun. You would have to have been there to understand.

Substituting relatively unknown artists for established ones.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:08 pm

I have no idea who was programming 92.9 when it was (supposedly) AAA, but it was an unmitigated disaster. Some of the segues, and new music selections were painful to listen to. It was obvious to any fan of the format that the air talent didn't understand it, or know how to properly execute it. Ross really should have hired someone like Cary Pall, who launched WMMO Orlando back in the '90's to consult, or even John Sebastian.

Frankly, with all of the older people up north, I would have stuck with Smooth Jazz. I would have pulled it right from Broadcast Architecture, instead of allowing the local yokels to program it. But then you run into the problem of knowing how to sell it...while all of your AE's have their car radios welded to WTCM.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:04 am
Ben Zonia wrote:

The also broke new California AOR/Free Form leaning artists and tracks like "8:05" by Moby Grape and "You Should Be From From Monterey" by Chip Taylor.

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 pm

Chip is Americana as the day is long.

KPIG/KFOG were classic free form stations. Both long gone now...

― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:40 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:27 pm
Chip is Americana as the day is long.

KPIG/KFOG were classic free form stations. Both long gone now...
Did you ever even hear the tracks I mentioned? It's not Taylor's "Wild Thing", "Angel Of The Morning", or "I Can't Let Go". It's San Francisco Folksy.

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic