Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

In Mears for the weekend

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Mega Hertz

In Mears for the weekend

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:53 pm

We're at the dune buggies! What's good out here to listen to? Idk what is on 94.1 but it has good classics! Also some oldies were on 106.3 and some good rock was on 89.9.

What are your suggestions for good stuff?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

cckadlec

Re: In Mears for the weekend

Post by cckadlec » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:47 pm

You could check out my pages for radio in that area (though the actual page for Silver Lake Dunes won't be online for another week or two yet though all the content is done). There are audio bandscans from both locations that are 1+ hour each with all the usual stations.

Hart: http://www.chriskadlec.com/radio/coasta ... -rest-area
Ludington: http://www.chriskadlec.com/radio/coasta ... -rest-area

94.1 is K-Rock. 106.3 is the new translator in Ludington, which moved to 92.7, but is still on both frequencies, annoyingly. No rock on 89.9 or anything of the sort, though if you were listening in the mid-afternoon Friday, the "Who Cooks For You" program on WORT Madison does play some good rock tunes and isn't hard to hear at the dunes. If your frequency was wrong, 88.9 instead is Hey Radio, which is a Christian rock station in Muskegon with some heavy tunes, but it's not common at Silver Lake.

Personally, I listen to 101 WIXX, 99.1 The Mix, 95 WIIL Rock. But if the stuff you heard on K-Rock was your type, 94.1 is pretty reliable. 100.5 plays oldies and is local, from Hart, though IBOC from V100.7 can wallop it at the dunes and elsewhere. For rock, 105.7 WAPL is good, or else FM 102.1 or 102.9 The Hog. Just my two cents anyway. Conditions are pretty horrid for radio at the moment due to this very wet system all day today, so what is usual there may be less so right now.

PS: This should be in the West Michigan category instead of Northern Michigan, but I digress :razz

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:04 am

I largely agree with Chris's suggestions.

105.7 WAPL (Classic Rock - Appleton), 102.1 WLUM (Alternative - Milwaukee), and 102.9 WHQG (that one is a more difficult catch, usually) are all good options to check out.

You might also want to attempt to pick up 94.7 WZOR (Active Rock - Green Bay).

In terms of local classic rock stations, I have no strong preference between either 94.1 WWKR or 101.7 WMRR. WWKR plays a Contemporary Christian music countdown show on Sunday morning, which is odd.

If you want to hear a near replica of Ann Arbor's WQKL, you can attempt to pick up 94.5 WKLQ, although that will be a challenge where you are located.

With WLAV in Grand Rapids recently moving its tower to Allendale, you even stand a shot of picking them up.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:22 am

Thanks for that addition. I absolutely second The Razor as a great option. They are usually very easy to hear. The Drive is the norm on 96.9 in all of this area as opposed to LAV (but also not bad); it's extremely potent. And The Q on 94.5 does usually come in well as it's a shoreline station too, though can struggle vs. Milwaukee.

I, too, have always wondered about the Christian programming on 94.1, but I think they may use that to satisfy their allotment of local programming (or whatever you want to call it) of 1 hour a week or something, how stations take an hour on a weekend, usually early Sunday morning like 6am, to play nonsense such as an interview with someone or whatever, way off-format usually. FCC requirement. Though I imagine 94.1 does it for their own reasons, which is funny since they share a tower with Smile FM where listeners can get plenty of the same.

Stations received at Silver Lake on a rather typical summer day:

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:06 am

Oh, yeah. I just realized where I was 😆

Thanks for the suggestions. As soon as we head to the dunes I'll flip around.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:42 pm

One station I failed to think of:
106.5 The Buzz out of Sheboygan, WI.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic