Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WATZ cutting heads?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
FakeAndyStuart

Re: WATZ cutting heads?

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:53 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:57 pm
I look at what happened to Northern broadcasting and I don't have much hope that they're going to walk away feeling whole.
Nobody is walking away feeling "whole" - stick values are gone. There is money to be made in radio broadcasting, but not near as much as I was skimming off the top of billing at WIOT. I would buy either the Ross or Trish cluster right now.. for the dimes on the dollar that they would be appraised at.. and make a small fortune and then sell out to the God squad.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:54 pm

If God® wanted stations, they would have bought some of Northern's flame throwers. Love FM isn't interested in markets this small I believe. Smile and Promise are not significant enough.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:16 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:54 pm
If God® wanted stations, they would have bought some of Northern's flame throwers. Love FM isn't interested in markets this small I believe. Smile and Promise are not significant enough.
Tired of hearing these God squad stations above 91.9 FM. Wish the FCC wouldn’t have changed the rules to allow them to become so prolific on the regular band….

FakeAndyStuart

Post by FakeAndyStuart » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:34 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:54 pm
I don't know if I can agree, Sparky. There are a lot of players in this game right now, and a lot of free money floating around for 501c(3) entities wanting to evangelize the masses. The links below only talk about the two behemoths - Salem and EMF - but it also demonstrates that there is money to be made in the JesusFM business.

http://www.insideradio.com/while-you-we ... 3b60e.html
http://www.insideradio.com/loyal-listen ... 6f4e7.html

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 am

[/quote]

I look at what happened to Northern broadcasting and I don't have much hope that they're going to walk away feeling whole.
[/quote]

But you forget, Gokey entrusted the group in the hands of a poor operator under the auspices of an LMA leading to purchase. When that didn't materialize, he sold the tower sites out from under the deal, then eventually had to take the stations back, which is something no operator wants to do once they've walked away from the day-to-day operations. At that point, he had no option but to go into fire sale mode, even when it meant selling it off in pieces. It's highly unlikely any other operator in Northern Michigan (other than Roy Henderson) would opt for an LMA scenario without financing already in hand. Midwestern is also likely in good financial shape. If it's throwing off decent cash flow, there's likely no reason to sell; unless a suitor comes along with a fair price. Granted, no one is buying for the multiples they once were, but that group could still likely fetch 5-6x cash flow and that wouldn't necessarily include associated real estate, which they may hold separate from the radio group. Eventually, a suitor will come along with money already in hand, but until that day, there's no reason to jettison the group if it's running fine.

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:05 pm

NMCSpeaks wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:36 pm
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:33 pm
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:46 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:35 am
The economics of radio are different in small cities. No big debt loads, often older technology, no wasteful expenditures on things such as HD radio, much smaller sales staffs, etc.
Interesting take, MW. What you missed is the constant drum in the background of the rumor that WTCM et al is for sale. I have no inside info, but the gossip is that the family wants to cash out while it is still worth something. And cutting ANY expenses right now can make the 2022 numbers look.. is the right word "inviting"? ... to a potential new owner.

Does Townsquare still want into TC?
They NEVER wanted in to TC at any point. That ridiculous story was easily debunked :rollin
Colonel Flagg,
Then why the cuts by Midwestern to the “core” of this heritage station going back to the Les Biederman era? You apparently are a source of informed knowledge of Midwestern Broadcasting, as noted in your posts, both recent and beyond including debunked and ridiculous stories involving Midwestern.
Please share with us the implied relationship with Townsquare Media, or lack thereof, and Midwestern Broadcasting.
I recall that it was reported that Townsquare Media DID contact Midwestern Broadcasting some time ago about a sale inquiry and your debunking it is the first time I, and maybe others, have heard this.
Colonel Flagg,

Please answer my honest inquiry to you about what you factually asserted in your last post above.

I, and perhaps others, believe its important to know your basis of fact as to what really happened (or not)here involving Town Square Media and Midwestern Broadcasting, since your post indicates your first hand knowledge.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving ALL.

Milk

Post by Milk » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:55 pm

Funny how they can the heritage morning man at their station in Alpena, but, when TC has an evil snowstorm, they'll proudly give the PD/morning man at their underperforming CHR a stay at a hotel.

Broadcasting: where the lame get their asses kissed.

BayCityJohn2337

Post by BayCityJohn2337 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:23 pm

This does seem a little bit strange and out of character for the Biedermans stations, but there may be more to the story than we know. Biederman may be reevaluting his position in the market.

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:52 pm

Cutting the morning man from a station in Alpena , Michigan. The company must have saved Millions.

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:06 pm

Rethinking our move to the area. Without Deal Mart what good is WATZ?

Does this mean they will also cut Polka, Polka, Polka on Sunday Morning?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Dr. Sandi

Post by Dr. Sandi » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:51 am

Sholmes wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:06 pm
Rethinking our move to the area. Without Deal Mart what good is WATZ?

Does this mean they will also cut Polka, Polka, Polka on Sunday Morning?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Oh, too bad about losing polkas. I really got into that music doing a polka show back in the 70s. But then, I was in my 30s then and all of the very loyal and appreciative fans were 'old people.' I suppose the true polka fans stopped being old people some time back. <Sigh>

GenX lives at SuperCFL 94.5 HD4 Olympia - Streaming at http://supercfl.ddns.net:20110

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:21 pm

NMCSpeaks wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:05 pm
NMCSpeaks wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:
The economics of radio are different in small cities. No big debt loads, often older technology, no wasteful expenditures on things such as HD radio, much smaller sales staffs, etc.
Interesting take, MW. What you missed is the constant drum in the background of the rumor that WTCM et al is for sale. I have no inside info, but the gossip is that the family wants to cash out while it is still worth something. And cutting ANY expenses right now can make the 2022 numbers look.. is the right word "inviting"? ... to a potential new owner.

They NEVER wanted in to TC at any point. That ridiculous story was easily debunked :rollin
Colonel Flagg,
Then why the cuts by Midwestern to the “core” of this heritage station going back to the Les Biederman era? You apparently are a source of informed knowledge of Midwestern Broadcasting, as noted in your posts, both recent and beyond including debunked and ridiculous stories involving Midwestern.
Please share with us the implied relationship with Townsquare Media, or lack thereof, and Midwestern Broadcasting.
I recall that it was reported that Townsquare Media DID contact Midwestern Broadcasting some time ago about a sale inquiry and your debunking it is the first time I, and maybe others, have heard this.
Colonel Flagg,

Please answer my honest inquiry to you about what you factually asserted in your last post above.

I, and perhaps others, believe its important to know your basis of fact as to what really happened (or not)here involving Town Square Media and Midwestern Broadcasting, since your post indicates your first hand knowledge.

Hey Colonel Flagg—-

Are you avoiding to answer me about Midwestern Broadcasting and Biederman?
You seem to be on the inside.
I and others want your proof and what you know about Townsquare and Biederman.
Or are you just full of crap?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:40 pm

Meanwhile, Mary Thurston (the Cupcake Queen), who had been at WATZ, is moving back to 107.7 The Bay for middays. Just saw her post on Facebook.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:31 pm

NMCSpeaks wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:21 pm
NMCSpeaks wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:05 pm
NMCSpeaks wrote:
Colonel Flagg wrote:
FakeAndyStuart wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

Colonel Flagg,
Colonel Flagg,

Hey Colonel Flagg—-

Are you avoiding to answer me about Midwestern Broadcasting and Biederman?
You seem to be on the inside.
I and others want your proof and what you know about Townsquare and Biederman.
Or are you just full of crap?
Perhaps, like many others, it's simply that I don't give a shit about what goes on in Alpena, and was no longer interested in this thread.

As to Townsquare, yes, I asked someone high up in the company. The person I asked said Townsquare is more likely to be a seller than a buyer at this point, and he could not imagine why the company would be interested. That's all.

You seem very desperate. Lots of people visit up north. There's no reason to become hysterical.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:07 pm

Colonel Flagg-
I happen to know that Townsquare Media is NOT an apparent Seller.
It sure took you long enough time to respond.
Why not share what you know about what Midwestern Broadcasting said on this very subject, rather than diverting the subject towards Townsquare Media by way of affiliation?
You are full of shit (a word you like to say repeatedly ) or ‘er crap, I should say.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic