Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WOUF GGGGGGone!

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
EdWalker

WOUF GGGGGGone!

Post by EdWalker » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:14 pm

ftballfan

Re: WOUF GGGGGGone!

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:23 pm

100.1 Bear Lake should've been deleted years ago

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:46 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:23 pm
100.1 Bear Lake should've been deleted years ago
Then why didn't you file the complaint?

Too busy sharing your infinite wisdom on radio message boards? :rollin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:25 am

Since the Channel constitutes the First Local Service to Bear Lake, it may be difficult to remove it. As ridiculous and capricious as the First Local Service concept is, all it takes is one Petition to Deny citing some esoteric case law to stop it. To get First Local Service, almost nonexistent Communities of License have been accepted, yet the FCC will deny equal or more substantial communities to be designated as such.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:44 am

Here's a list of the smallest communities in Michigan, all under 1000 population. A surprising number have allotments or stations in those communities. So there are at least almost two dozen small communities with radio or TV stations licensed to that community. And probably another dozen where transmitting towers are located.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Michigan3.html

I must say I am stunned that there are probably as many allotments and stations as there are in towns under 1000, and I bet at least a few more that are between 1000 and 2000, and a few more that aren't shown at all. There are probably more communities like these than there were allotments in different communities in the original Table Of Allotments.

No doubt that this is due to where allotments fit, and First Local Service. There are at least two small towns with at least two allotments or stations. Before auctions, people would often Petition for Rulemaking for allotments to unfamiliar communities so as not to attract a lot of competing applications.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:05 pm

Only the license was deleted, not the allotment, correct?

If my understanding is correct, won't there be an auction for the allotment at some point?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:15 pm

Didn't Roger Hoppe sell/give the station to Roy years ago? When I ran into him out West he told me all about it. He's as squirrelly as Roy if it's who I think it is...

I think his one time lady used to post here.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:54 pm

No, he sold it D&B broadcasting, then D&B sold to Roy about a year or so later.

Roger kept ownership of the nice tower on Taylor Road, until Roy didn't pay the tower rent.
Last edited by audiophile on Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:59 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:05 pm
Only the license was deleted, not the allotment, correct?

If my understanding is correct, won't there be an auction for the allotment at some point?
Correct. Down the line, an auction will be held. I think 100.7 might be able to move closer to TC, but if that were to happen, WIAA or WTCM-FM would have to change its COL to Bear Lake (if WIAA were to change its COL, one of the many TC-licensed stations would have to change its COL to Interlochen).

There have been a few examples in Michigan of stations changing COL without changing facilities to backfill for a community's only radio station moving out:
106.1 WJXQ was licensed to Jackson for years, but changed its COL to Charlotte after both then-92.7 WJZL (to 92.9 Grand Ledge) and 1390 WLCM (to Holt) moved to other COLs.
100.9 WQXC was originally licensed to Otsego, but changed its COL to Allegan after WZUU moved from 92.3 Allegan to 92.5 Mattawan

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:07 pm

audiophile wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:54 pm

Roger kept ownership of the nice tower on Taylor Road, until Roy didn't pay the tower rent.
That certainly is a nice tower site, isn't it? About 350 feet AAT at ground level as I recall. The powers that be in Benzie County were bound and determined that no new towers be built in Benzie County. So, as I recall, it was built about a few hundred feet into Manistee County. I'd laugh if the guy anchors were just a few feet outside Benzie County. Not the first time this was done, nor the last. As I recall, there was a dispute of some sort with Cook County, so WLS put their tower barely into Will County, IL. Their ground system and radials extend almost to the Cook County line.

I'm sure that the State of Michigan and the Cell Phone companies didn't have any problems getting their towers approved in Benzie County.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic