Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Green Bay OTA TV reception from manistee

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
WC8KCY

Re: Green Bay OTA TV reception from manistee

Post by WC8KCY » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:09 am

The once-ubiquitous Channel Master stacked-conical VHF arrays can still be seen in Manistee. With the optional high-band stubs, aimed at Scray's Hill in Glenmore, WI these would have picked up 2 and 5 from Green Bay, and 13 (later 9) from Cadillac off the rear lobe of the bare stubs. I imagine that in the 1950s, at least some of these were installed oriented towards a WSW compromise position where WTMJ 4 came in without too-badly messing up the phasing of WWTV off the back lobe.

Until 5 swapped its ABC affiliation with Marinette's WMBV-TV in 1959, that would have gotten you full-time affiliates on all three networks without having to fuss with a rotator.
Last edited by WC8KCY on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Makitaman!

I had wondered if you'd chime in on this thread. Seems like it's been forever since you've posted!

I see your mention that one of the Green Bay stations you receive ~85% is WLUK Fox 11.1 (and its diginets) on RF12.

Did you notice that WLUK's move to RF18 has been all approved by the FCC, with the Construction Permit provided? Once that's completed, then all the Green Bay stations will be on UHF. Further, won't it render it tough to receive for you, what with WPBN NBC 7.1 having their DRT (digital replacement translator) on RF18 from the tower next to their studio building on M-72 West?

Also, if you're receiving WLUK that consistently now, that should mean that WXII Cozi 12 appropriately turned off their analog signal on RF12 last month when all low-power analogs had to cease per the FCC, correct? Have they been doing any testing of their digital RF30 yet?

Hi hunterw,

To your original question about possibilities to improve your Green Bay reception in Manistee so close to Lake Michigan, here are my thoughts if I were to be experimenting:

* Are there any obstructions (trees, neighboring houses/buildings, etc.) that your 10 foot antenna height encounters, such that having a taller mast would overcome them?

* You mention you have a Televes antenna with the integrated amp--those seem to be well regarded. But, if it's from 2018 or earlier, its LTE filtering might only start above what used to be TV RF51...versus how now the "repack" moved all TV signals to RF36 and lower. Yet with the integrated amp, there'd be no way to insert a new LTE filter that blocks above RF36 inline between the aerial and amp.

* If you're going to consider purchasing a different antenna, I'd suggest you wait a few more weeks for the new Televes models to come out. I have no specifics, but over in the thread for Minneapolis on the AVSForum website, the professional TV antenna installer that goes by handle @mattdp had a recent post about how Televes has redone the dimensions of the elements to be focused on RF36 and below, and definitely have the LTF filtering starting just above RF36. Someone here suggested the ChannelMaster CM-4228HD for you, but it and apparently all other TV antennas marketed in the US haven't yet been redesigned for the smaller frequency range in use now. Per what I've read on other sites, Antennas Direct did some redesigning in the late 2000s when the "digital transition" moved all signals to RF51 and below--but that the other antennas being marketed in the US are the same dimensions and designs from when UHF TV included RF83 and below.

That's my free advice--likely only worth what you paid for it.

Enjoy! ~~ Statmanmi
makitaman wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:15 pm
The answer to your first question…….WCWF RF15 is 24/7 here in Kingsley. They are directing a 700KW signal towards the east and being 475 feet above lake level with a Winegard HD 9095P at 35 feet it never drops out. RF 12, 14, 23 are around 85% and RF 36 is 50%

RF 22 is blocked by Harrietta and RF 25 is blocked by WWTV out of Traverse City (I sure miss WPNE since it moved to 25)

makitaman

Post by makitaman » Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Statmanmi,

Why did you screw up my whole day………I did not notice the WLUK to RF 18 switch. Now In addition to WFRV on 22 an WPNE on RF 25 I will miss WLUK on RF 18 which was my Antenna and TBD go to station. Also thanks to you I just checked and analog 12 is gone. Guess it is back to low resolution WMNN RF 17 for HD News, SD Antenna and SD MYNetwork.

No RF 30 yet……I see the CP is good for another year.

Keep up the good work.

Pearcga3

Post by Pearcga3 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:54 pm

I am a Manistee native and have a second home in Eastlake. Having given up on Charter years ago, getting Green Bay TV has been a multi-year obsession. I have had good luck with an 8-element bowtie with a backing screen that i bought on ebay years ago for not a lot of money. It is mounted on a pole that is no higher than the peak of the roof of my house. I have an ok, but not unobstructed, view of Manistee Lake. I have a second antenna on the same mast, one of those bulging black plastic ovals, that does almost as well even though I went for a basic model.

Reception is all over the place depending on atmospheric conditions. Some scans generate 40+ stations, others zero. I can get WBAY more often than not, occasionally 22 and 26 (the NBC stations). Haven't gotten WFRV (5) in a couple years, rarely get WLUK (11). Usually get a gaggle of PBS stations. Often get 14. The other evening I got two stations from the Wausau area!

What else is hard these days is getting 7 from Traverse City, even if I rotate my antenna. Even 9 from Cadillac is iffy.

My best friend lives near the fire station in Manistee and he hooked up an identical antenna to his chimney. He is mainly interested in the WBAY weather channel and he usually gets it.

Finally, the TV makes a real difference as I have tried antennas on several. No way of predicting this pre-purchase as nobody reviews reception performance on tv's that I know of.

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:33 pm

Thanks for sharing what you can receive in the area. I’m over by the brewery and can get wbay, wpne, wcwf, and wgba 90% of the time from gbay. (WLUK will prob come in better one they move to uhf). And Milwaukee 50-70% of the time WITI(strongest of them), WISN, WDJT, WPXE, and Super 18 cw. WTMJ is a rare find here. Wausau was booming in the other night. ABC, pbs and fox was booming from there. Also had Madison stations come in one time too.

Pearcga3 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:54 pm
I am a Manistee native and have a second home in Eastlake. Having given up on Charter years ago, getting Green Bay TV has been a multi-year obsession. I have had good luck with an 8-element bowtie with a backing screen that i bought on ebay years ago for not a lot of money. It is mounted on a pole that is no higher than the peak of the roof of my house. I have an ok, but not unobstructed, view of Manistee Lake. I have a second antenna on the same mast, one of those bulging black plastic ovals, that does almost as well even though I went for a basic model.

Reception is all over the place depending on atmospheric conditions. Some scans generate 40+ stations, others zero. I can get WBAY more often than not, occasionally 22 and 26 (the NBC stations). Haven't gotten WFRV (5) in a couple years, rarely get WLUK (11). Usually get a gaggle of PBS stations. Often get 14. The other evening I got two stations from the Wausau area!

What else is hard these days is getting 7 from Traverse City, even if I rotate my antenna. Even 9 from Cadillac is iffy.

My best friend lives near the fire station in Manistee and he hooked up an identical antenna to his chimney. He is mainly interested in the WBAY weather channel and he usually gets it.

Finally, the TV makes a real difference as I have tried antennas on several. No way of predicting this pre-purchase as nobody reviews reception performance on tv's that I know of.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:54 pm

makitaman wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:33 pm
Statmanmi,
Keep up the good work.
Hey MakitaMan!

I could hear the sarcasm in your reply to me a couple of weeks ago, when I tipped you off on some TV broadcast frequency changes, both upcoming and those that already happened.

Now I have a new station for you and others in the TC area to go fishing for.

Lowcountry 34 Media filed their License To Cover (L2C) with the FCC today for the low powered station on RF19 (identified as W19FB-D). Per the construction permit, it's a rather odd-shaped antenna broadcast pattern, which does not have a lobe in your direction. Google Street View and other quick searching I did identified the broadcast location to be 5925 Cedar Run Rd., which is the tower that Spectrum Charter (or whatever the local cable TV company is) has all their "headend" OTA receiving antennas on.

My curiosity is piqued as to what content is being transmitted. Or if they even just turned it on long enough to file the L2C, and may have in mind to take it silent (if they haven't already).

I bet Trip with his RabbitEars.info site would be similarly interested to know if RF19 is indeed on the air.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:41 am

Interesting channel I just scanned, right now I’m getting Minneapolis stations. Fox 9,and 45tv.

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Oh boy MakitaMan and All in the TC area!

Eric Wotila's Freelancer Broadcasting filed their FCC license to cover late this afternoon for DTV RF30 for WXII-LD MyNetworkTV/COZI/NewsNet from the tower on Hickory Hill just northeast from the Traverse City West High School.

Are you receiving it? How many subchannels, and what are they (12.1 through 12.what)? Curious minds wish to know.

Cheers! ~~ Statmanmi
makitaman wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:33 pm
Statmanmi,
No RF 30 yet……I see the CP is good for another year.

Keep up the good work.

makitaman

Post by makitaman » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:22 pm

Newsy is up and looking good on WACY 32-6 (RF-36) …….it is also on SES-3@103 degrees C-Band

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:01 pm

makitaman wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:22 pm
Newsy is up and looking good on WACY 32-6 (RF-36) …….it is also on SES-3@103 degrees C-Band
Was watching it earlier. Kinda wished they put on nbc 26 instead of my32 , 26 has a lot stronger signal. Also ion 55 has it from Milwaukee.
They switched up there logo a little.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:49 pm

Did you see this: https://www.northpine.com/blog/2021/10/ ... r-midwest/

ATSC 3.0 coming to Green Bay later this month

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:17 am

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:49 pm
Did you see this: https://www.northpine.com/blog/2021/10/ ... r-midwest/

ATSC 3.0 coming to Green Bay later this month
Thank you for sharing.

Now I have a question. :)

What atsc 3.0 tuner should I get?
Which one has the best sensitivity if there are any options.

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:15 am

Looks like WFRV FOX 11 moved to UHF channel 18. Seems like it’s still weaker then nbc26 and abc2. Abc2 is by far the strongest GB channel that can be received on this side of the lake.

hunterw

Post by hunterw » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:58 pm

https://www.northpine.com/blog/2022/08 ... y-all-uhf/

Well it looks like fox 11 finally moved to uhf channel 18 last weds

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic