Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

7&4 Meteorologist job post

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
organman95

7&4 Meteorologist job post

Post by organman95 » Thu May 20, 2021 7:07 am

Just saw a post on LinkedIn pop up from Pat Livingston (posted a week ago). Looking for a weekend meteorologist/multimedia journalist. Is Taylor Nimmo leaving 7&4? Blake?

kager

Re: 7&4 Meteorologist job post

Post by kager » Thu May 20, 2021 8:51 am

More jobs in sales and news production in the below Careers link as well:

https://edyy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcm ... iusUnit=MI

Maybe just looking to flesh out their spring crop of just-outta-college cheap help?

I'm guessing that more station people will be taking vacations this year, and they need fills. Since finding qualified staff for what they are likely willing to pay (even Subway's signs show new starts @ $18/hr :eek ), maybe 1st-round candidate draftees took a pass on them.

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu May 20, 2021 9:09 am

$18 /hr? Hell, I'll work at Subway lol

whitebalance

Post by whitebalance » Sat May 22, 2021 7:57 am

Decent starter market, but to stay there years is just trashing an idea of a career over just a job where a view of the bay is part of your pay.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 pm

Ms. Nimmo is the most talented of the bunch of meteorologists at 7&4. She has a personality and good delivery. If she leaves, though... she will be breaking up the Band. Nimmo, May, and Ingle are the three most talented journalists in Northern Michigan...... They all will be making big bucks soon.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri May 28, 2021 1:03 am

I still haven't forgiven them for letting Hannah Cumler go and replacing her with a blonde woman who I just refer to as "hips." I am not sure what her actual name is.

kager

Post by kager » Fri May 28, 2021 7:48 am

As long as the anchors, well, they have to use this "conversational" (we'll call it) style in their delivery, see, 'cuz of lucky special magic reasons,? Well, until the misguided person(s) responsible for this and jerky teleprompter reading is gone (and talking heads are able to exorcise the habit), it's unwatchable.
BirdieKingBobo wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 7:23 pm
Ms. Nimmo is the most talented of the bunch of meteorologists at 7&4. She has a personality and good delivery. If she leaves, though... she will be breaking up the Band. Nimmo, May, and Ingle are the three most talented journalists in Northern Michigan...... They all will be making big bucks soon.
It's always nice to have buds. Best wishes to yours.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:53 am

Taylor Nimmo left earlier in the summer.

Blake Hansen left a couple of weeks ago after >4.5 years at the stations.

A posting for a weekend weather / reporter person is still on their web site.

Ship seems to be sinking.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:12 am

I've been here 20+ years, and if talent leaving for bigger markets is the sign of a sinking ship, why is the station still floating?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

BirdieKingBobo

Post by BirdieKingBobo » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:44 am

The next one to leave will be Miya Ingle. She is extremely talented. She just needs to get a little better with her anchoring duties and she will be gone.

Wonder what happened with Blake? Mark and him seemed to have a Abbott and Costello routine in the morning.... and What happened to Lourin? Was she booted?

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:12 am

Didn't know Blake left... but its been a few weeks since I've paid attention to much of anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lourin was let go, under financial issues. When there is a long-time, well-rounded broadcaster like Mark, there isn't need for two anchors I'm the morning. Just a separate meteorologist to help take some of the load off.

As for a "sinking ship," 7&4 has always had its ups and downs. I think the biggest problem is ownership turnover, based on stories I've read on here about past ownership.

kager

Post by kager » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm

People leaving for better pay and / or bigger markets is one thing, but that is pure assumption.

Here's another:

For someone to stay and work their arse off for better than 4 years in one place like Hansen did kinda indicated he had put down roots here. Something probably broke the camel's back. I wish him well on whatever his next chapter involves...

Still others are leaving the industry altogether, and - from what I've read recently - in growing numbers.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:58 am

kager wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:37 pm
For someone to stay and work their arse off for better than 4 years in one place like Hansen did kinda indicated he had put down roots here. Something probably broke the camel's back. I wish him well on whatever his next chapter involves...

Still others are leaving the industry altogether, and - from what I've read recently - in growing numbers.
Probably a 'waiting out' the time of the non-compete clause to join 9&10. Or as you mentioned, perhaps leaving the industry. Blake is a damn good meteorologist. It would be a shame for the market to lose him entirely.

jmeltonwx

Post by jmeltonwx » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:33 pm

Blake ended up at WZZM in Grand Rapids, per his Twitter.

kager

Post by kager » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:50 pm

Another Buzzer here had speculated a Hansen move to WILX; glad to hear GR, as at least I'll be there from time to time to watch.

I wish him well, but hope WZZM is better on-air than on-line. The 'ZZM web site is about the most incoherent collection of 0's and 1's I've ever seen attached to a broadcast operation.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic