Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WLDR-FM

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ADD in TC

Re: WLDR-FM

Post by ADD in TC » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:56 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 am
WOLW still has that null aimed right at the Northwestern Michigan College campus. They only send 2kW in the direction of Traverse City while Big Rapids, Cadillac, Ludington, and Manistee all get the full 50kW sent their way. With WNMC now on 90.7, I think WOLW could go 50kW nondirectional (or maybe even 100kW nondirectional as their HAAT is 213 meters).
FWIW,The owners of WOLW has,just today (12/6),filled paper work with the FCC to eliminate that null towards T.C.

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:34 pm

Not sure if WLDR is at reduced power as the singal seems to be fading out in the Fife Lake area during the last couple of weeks.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:03 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:34 pm
Not sure if WLDR is at reduced power as the singal seems to be fading out in the Fife Lake area during the last couple of weeks.
Roy went through all of that rigmarole to get his primary signal back, and now, WLDR can't even make full power. Why am I not surprised?

:rollin

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:42 am

WNMC was originally 150 watts on 90.9 from the Community College campus. One of the Biedermans was on the Board of Directors, and had to disassociate himself from the application for it to be granted. It's on the History Card. WOLW 91.1 had to protect WNMC on 90.9 and had to have a deep null. WNMC wanted to increase to 600 watts up on the ridge West of Traverse City, and to resolve interference issues, they moved to 90.7. That opened up the opportunity for WOLW to go nondirectional.

WLDR is on STA with 880 watts at 16.5 meters AGL.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 pm

The ironic thing is that Blarney Stone Broadcasting, who operated WLDR for a few months, is listed as the owner of the tower WLDR is licensed to broadcast from.

I wonder if that tower site has been sold for development as when the Google Street View car passed by it in December 2020, there has been development on both sides of the tower along the west side of Gray Road.

Side note: WLDR's former tower is the shortest of the big towers up on the ridge west of TC. There are five towers taller than it up there now.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:05 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:12 pm
The ironic thing is that Blarney Stone Broadcasting, who operated WLDR for a few months, is listed as the owner of the tower WLDR is licensed to broadcast from.

I wonder if that tower site has been sold for development as when the Google Street View car passed by it in December 2020, there has been development on both sides of the tower along the west side of Gray Road.

Side note: WLDR's former tower is the shortest of the big towers up on the ridge west of TC. There are five towers taller than it up there now.
The street to the South looks to have been there a while. The one to the North looks new. I suppose someone could want to develop it. You would think there would be a tower or tower site nearby they could go on though. There are plenty of subs that close to towers though.

400 feet is quite a substantial tower though. WLDR is 630 feet above average terrain, and 785 feet above average terrain to the East. It's a respectable facility. They don't need a taller tower. Longley Rice doesn't show any significant shadow areas.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:42 am
WNMC was originally 150 watts on 90.9 from the Community College campus. One of the Biedermans was on the Board of Directors, and had to disassociate himself from the application for it to be granted. It's on the History Card. WOLW 91.1 had to protect WNMC on 90.9 and had to have a deep null. WNMC wanted to increase to 600 watts up on the ridge West of Traverse City, and to resolve interference issues, they moved to 90.7. That opened up the opportunity for WOLW to go nondirectional.

WLDR is on STA with 880 watts at 16.5 meters AGL.
You're missing the point here.

Roy was able to get access to the licensed site, through some sort of legal shenanigans, in the drawn out litigation with Blarney Stone. So, WHY is WLDR back on STA with reduced power?

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:44 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:56 pm
ftballfan wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 am
WOLW still has that null aimed right at the Northwestern Michigan College campus. They only send 2kW in the direction of Traverse City while Big Rapids, Cadillac, Ludington, and Manistee all get the full 50kW sent their way. With WNMC now on 90.7, I think WOLW could go 50kW nondirectional (or maybe even 100kW nondirectional as their HAAT is 213 meters).
FWIW,The owners of WOLW has,just today (12/6),filled paper work with the FCC to eliminate that null towards T.C.
Colonel Flagg, it was ADD in TC who got the thread off track in the first place.

-Author Unknown

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Colonel Flagg, it was ADD in TC who got the thread off track in the first place.
I'm sorry if that's the case,I was just replying to a post of ftballfan from a long while ago.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:08 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:19 pm

I'm sorry if that's the case,I was just replying to a post of ftballfan from a long while ago.
Don't worry about The Colonel. Notice that he never made General. I like it when threads wander.

-Author Unknown

ADD in TC

Post by ADD in TC » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:46 pm

Just because I'm a little curious,this time I'm going to purposely go a bit of topic.

Why on Earth,did the Henderson family bid for the new 93.3 frequency in Onekama?And what are they going to do now that they have a CP for it?

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:07 pm

ADD in TC wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:46 pm
Just because I'm a little curious,this time I'm going to purposely go a bit of topic.

Why on Earth,did the Henderson family bid for the new 93.3 frequency in Onekama?And what are they going to do now that they have a CP for it?
Maybe to block WMOM from getting a better signal in Manistee County (since the new owners of that station also put in a bid for 93.3 Onekama, as well as I think Smile FM; the Mom did win the auction for 99.9 Custer, which might be able to actually move north 5-10 miles with 100.1 Bear Lake out of the way and the allocation moved to 100.7)

kager

Post by kager » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 pm

It never ceases to amaze:

1) How many people seem to truly give a sh*t about WLDR, and/or Roy Henderson's doings
2) See # 1

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred."

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:32 am

kager wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 pm
It never ceases to amaze:

1) How many people seem to truly give a sh*t about WLDR, and/or Roy Henderson's doings
2) See # 1
I can't stop staring at dumpster fires either. He's a special kind of stupid that never ceases to amuse.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:51 am

ADD in TC wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:46 pm

Watch an episode of "Hoarders" on A&E, if that show is still around. That's the only answer I have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic