Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

106.7 on the air?

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan

Re: 106.7 on the air?

Post by ftballfan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:03 am

I heard the techno 106.7 in Manistee on Friday.

Harris Heller is a YouTuber:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AlphaGamingHouse (gaming channel)
https://www.youtube.com/c/StreamBeatsbyHarrisHeller (music channel)

I'm surprised nobody has done a stunt with only music by YouTubers, such as Jake Paul, KSI, and Ricegum

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:41 pm

The ID now says "This is WSRT Gaylord and WFDX Atlanta" and sure enough, 92.5 is playing the same lo-fi music as 106.7.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:49 am

Nelson wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:41 pm
The ID now says "This is WSRT Gaylord and WFDX Atlanta" and sure enough, 92.5 is playing the same lo-fi music as 106.7.
I heard 92.5 earlier this week in Manistee

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:00 am

I picked up 92.5 down here in Tawas pretty well so they're on at full power. From a technical standpoint, the music sounds EXCELLENT. Literally sounded like I was listening to a CD in a high-end CD player.

Interesting music mix. Great for a short listen but without variety I would probably tire of it pretty quickly. Nevertheless, never heard anything like it before on the FM dial.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:16 am

Now they've added W252DA Petoskey to their IDs. I tuned to 98.3 but didn't get anything but interference from 98.5. I'm close enough I thought I'd be able to get that frequency, but either they're not actually on the air at 98.3 or I'm too far away.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:56 pm

As one of the recurring actors said on Dark Shadows circa 1967, upon entering a poorly lit cottage near Collinwood, "This place must be lighted with a five watt bulb." And apparently, Dale Bickel gave them an STA for 5 watts. Breaker, breaker! Happy Holidays!

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/c ... r_id=96757

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:38 pm

My sources tell me that they are receiving a consistent signal for W252DA of about 2.8 microvolts, 17 miles away over a line of sight path to the top 1/2 portion of the tower. Not sure where the STA antenna is mounted on the tower.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:55 am

Here's an 18-minute clip of the station I recorded yesterday before the snow arrived.

As for the content, it's essentially StreamBeats Radio, without using the actual name. Every song is created by Harris Heller (a lot of Shazam attempts will show 8 or 9 previous Shazams on a song, which you'd think would be better after these stations playing the songs for so long now!). Back in the spring, he released lo-fi music that is royalty free, especially for creators on YouTube who have the constant issue of copyright strikes, which he has struggled with on his own channel. He released the music with two different producers to date and has 300 songs, meaning that while the station is essentially all lo-fi and all Harris Heller all the time - sounding nearly identical to the lo-fi hip-hop streaming channels on YouTube - they are actually running a large variety of different songs. Harris Heller talked about this project on his YouTube channel in March. (On a side note, those talking about "techno" may want to get their music formats in order as comparing lo-fi to techno is like comparing Tori Amos to Slipknot.)

I made several attempts at recording a good 20 minutes or so in Reed City before I began having issues with multiple oversized Ford F-150s that would park right beside my car and greatly weaken the signal immediately before the TOH ID, wasting 20+ minutes of recording and my day. (It happened with 3 identical F-150s of different colors before I went elsewhere!). Not to mention 106.7 Detroit was killing the signal in many places. I drove 185 miles round trip after work to make the recording(s) after hearing the signal the day before coming in easily in Lakeview but had no recorder with me that day. What can I say? I'm a lo-fi fan and it is cool to hear it on the radio like this on such H*** signals. Because WOOD's IBOC makes it quite impossible here in Fremont, I had to head northward. The signal showed up in White Cloud and then was listenable with Detroit and Toledo stations hanging in strong up to Cadillac. 92.5 was in well by the time I hit Reed City too, though I was so concentrated on getting a better 106.7 signal that I didn't even check 92.5 until much later. It wasn't a pretty day or an easy day - it's like I got 90% of what I wanted four or five times before something f*cked up and ruined it - but I got what I had wanted in the end, so those who can't hear the content can get a sample now.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:31 pm

What type of audio compressor are you using between receiver and recorder?

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 pm

This is NOT the format. Otherwise, why would it be on 92.5 also? They're just preserving the licenses by not being silent..

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:59 pm

Reminds me of the ill-fated "Chill" music format that Emmis briefly programmed on the now defunct CD-101.9 in New York City before the station was LMA'd to Merlin Media.

MotorCityRadioFreak

Post by MotorCityRadioFreak » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:54 pm

Definitely reminds me of XM 53, chill house.

They/them, non-binary and proud.

Remember that “2000 Mules” was concocted by a circus of elephants.
The right needs to stop worry about what’s between people’s legs. Instead, they should focus on what’s between their ears.
Audacity sucks.

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:13 am

CK-722 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 pm
This is NOT the format. Otherwise, why would it be on 92.5 also? They're just preserving the licenses by not being silent..
Oh no, I'm just saying that "techno" music and lo-fi are drastically different, unless they actually were airing techno music before the lo-fi, then that's different. I admire their choice of music they're playing to keep their license(s) active, especially airing it across all three stations. I mean, that's a lot better than what Roy does with his signals to keep them active (lying that they're actually on the air).

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:19 am

audiophile wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:31 pm
What type of audio compressor are you using between receiver and recorder?
I'm just using a Grundig G8 portable radio connected to a recorder. It switches to stereo at 10dB, which is still rather early for it to switch from mono to stereo, so you can hear that static sound (if you could call it that) when the signal isn't particularly strong enough for stereo. I purposely aimed to record it in stereo, which was why I was unhappy when these trucks were blocking me and causing it to switch to mono right before the ID. The signal was much better in Reed City, but I took what I could get.

But I noticed that 106.7's signal behaved oddly in this respect on my radio. Even when I had plenty of signal strength on the meter for stereo, it would switch it to mono despite the stereo light still being on. Sure, it happens, but for a 100kw signal, especially where I was, I wasn't expecting that. It's like no matter where I was in the coverage area - technically I was always outside it actually - it was never a great signal, even 65 miles out. I don't know if it's just... winter (conditions were a bit different on this day)... or if it's their signal instead.

bmw

Post by bmw » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:23 am

Despite there being a large number of songs in the playlist, the problem is that they all sound the same to me - same beats, same tempo, and same instrumentation in just about every song, each with just slight variations on the previous. A purely instrumental format like this COULD be interesting if the musical selection was expanded to include some smooth jazz and maybe some stuff that sounds more like actual hip-hop/rap (and yes, I'm well aware that this won't be the permanent format on these stations).

Also - scanning the dial AFTER listening to 92.5's very clean-sounding signal is a reminder of just HOW HORRIBLY OVERLY-COMPRESSED just about every other station on the FM dial is these days. The couple of exceptions in my neck of the woods are 107.7 WHSB and 100.7 Thunder Rock (102.1 WLEW doesn't sound too bad either, though they use moderate compression).

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic