Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blarney Stone Petitions FCC to cancel WLDR license

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
EdWalker

Blarney Stone Petitions FCC to cancel WLDR license

Post by EdWalker » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Filed today. Blarney Stone says station has been dark for more than a year:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=1

TC Talks

Re: Blarney Stone Petitions FCC to cancel WLDR license

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:12 pm

The next chapter in tales of our least favorite broadcasters...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:55 pm

That's not a good idea. It will be off the air for years, if it ever comes back on.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:06 pm

Kinda reminds me of a Dateline I saw. A girl broke up with her boyfriend, and the boyfriend murdered her. His rationale was that if he couldn't have her, nobody could.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Mark Elliott

Post by Mark Elliott » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 pm

I don't see how this makes sense UNLESS they can leverage an agreement to drop the challenge in exchange for getting the station license at a discount. If the FCC revokes, it's a long hard battle to gain it back, and a lot of people will apply.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:05 pm

If it goes to auction, a whole pile of money will go to the auction, which makes it much more expensive to buy, probably well above market value.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Can we file Petitions To Deny cancellation of the license?

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:17 am

From the legal doctrine of unclean hands this might backfire on the Coynes. The Coynes operated an illegal booster from the same tower.

IIRC this whole LMA battle started because Coynes stopped paying Henderson. If that is the case the Coynes are in default and Henderson had every right to stop the LMA. If the LMA included a tower lease back to Henderson then the Coynes are still the ones in default.

As much as it pains me to say this, Henderson will likely own the Coynes after this development. Not well thought out.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

EdWalker

Post by EdWalker » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:25 am

Mark Elliott wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 pm
I don't see how this makes sense UNLESS they can leverage an agreement to drop the challenge in exchange for getting the station license at a discount. If the FCC revokes, it's a long hard battle to gain it back, and a lot of people will apply.
Once the evidence has been presented by a station has been dark for more than a year, the commission will likely turn to the station licensee to prove otherwise. And without any STAs issued to operate from a different site during that year off, thats going to be a difficult proposition.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:55 am

Why stop at wldr? It seems there are a few more stations that have experienced the same treatment.
As much as it pains me to say this, Henderson will likely own the Coynes after this development. Not well thought out.
Roy hasn't had much luck with lawsuits. No one really wins in these long drawn out civil situations. I suspect this is an attempt to leverage a settlement, but given both parties I can't imagine either will be capable of finding a number.

It makes it more fun to be a spectator though.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 am

If the license ends up getting cancelled, I think at least one station will apply to move to 101.9.

I wonder if we could see something like what happened with another operator (Cochise Broadcasting) that had multiple stations silent for long periods of time. As part of a deal, Cochise voluntarily turned in some licenses while donating others to noncommercial entities or minority-owned groups: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1181 ... nt-decree/

Link to the consent decree (it's reference 2 on this page): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTWY

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:47 am

This would be very contentious if the license is cancelled. Estimates of the frequency remaining off the air range from 5 to 10 years. Look at the fact that there were SIX APPLICANTS for CLASS A 104.5. Look at how long that took to resolve. Look how long 95.9 was off after its license was cancelled. There would be all kinds of challenges to hold it up if it was "awarded". Awarded and soon bought out by bigger fish.

I count no fewer than seven full power noncommercial FM stations and six noncommercial translators in the more immediate Traverse City area. We don't need more on the commercial band, where stations are not allowed in the reserved NCE-FM band.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&latd=4 ... nd=85.6123

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:56 pm

Roy didn't stop the FCC from pulling 95.9

― Noam Chomsky

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:45 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:29 am
If the license ends up getting cancelled, I think at least one station will apply to move to 101.9.

I wonder if we could see something like what happened with another operator (Cochise Broadcasting) that had multiple stations silent for long periods of time. As part of a deal, Cochise voluntarily turned in some licenses while donating others to noncommercial entities or minority-owned groups: https://radioinsight.com/headlines/1181 ... nt-decree/

Link to the consent decree (it's reference 2 on this page): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTWY
If WLDR's license is cancelled, an existing station can't simply "move" to 101.9. The vacant channel will remain on the books, and end up in a future auction.

As to Ted Tucker, and Cochise, a lot of those stations exist only on paper. Take your compass, head west, and try to find a couple of them. Remember, in National Lampoons Vacation, where Clark Griswold crashed the station wagon, and went to find a service station? That's right about where you'll be standing on some of those coordinates. :lol

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:03 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:17 am
From the legal doctrine of unclean hands this might backfire on the Coynes. The Coynes operated an illegal booster from the same tower.

IIRC this whole LMA battle started because Coynes stopped paying Henderson. If that is the case the Coynes are in default and Henderson had every right to stop the LMA. If the LMA included a tower lease back to Henderson then the Coynes are still the ones in default.

I agree with audiophile here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic