Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Blarney Stone Petitions FCC to cancel WLDR license

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan

Re: Blarney Stone Petitions FCC to cancel WLDR license

Post by ftballfan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:08 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 am
ftballfan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 am
TC Talks wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 am
I guess the bigger picture: when the fight is all over, they will still be stuck with 100,000 watt station with no transmitter in a market where there are really only three players and all three are struggling financially at the moment.

What's the end game? There really isn't one. It's like fighting over a 1997 Cadillac Brougham. It was a really lovely station at one time but it's a piece of crap now due to neglect.

I don't know anyone under 30 who listens to radio.
Interlochen would likely consider moving IPR News to 101.9 if they had the opportunity to do so. 101.9, even if it were downgraded to Class C2, would put a decent signal into areas that 91.5 doesn't reach well (Cadillac, for example).
The last thing we need is another CMU or IPR affiliate.
If IPR were to somehow end up with 101.9, I think 91.5 would be spun off to a religious broadcaster

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am

It's time for the annual chat, isn't it?

A) Roy Henderson isn't selling
B) IPR isn't buying

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 am

So, Roy sold his palatial home on Lake Conroe, north of Houston, and now (presumably) lives in an apartment in Grand Rapids. I never thought I would see that happen.

Roy will hang on to these financially and technically hobbled radio stations until the very end.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 am

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 am
So, Roy sold his palatial home on Lake Conroe, north of Houston, and now (presumably) lives in an apartment in Grand Rapids. I never thought I would see that happen.

Roy will hang on to these financially and technically hobbled radio stations until the very end.
With him being in his 70s (most likely), it likely made perfect sense to downsize as it's a seller's market

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:22 am

You don't have to guess ages anymore. You can just look it up. I was surprised at how YOUNG Roy Henderson is. It just goes to show you how radio is dominated by the young, and their perceptions of what old is.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:06 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:06 am
Colonel Flagg wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 am

With him being in his 70s (most likely), it likely made perfect sense to downsize as it's a seller's market
Brilliant. I am so glad you were here to "school" me on what's really going on :rolleyes

Go and busy yourself with a bandscan or something.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

cckadlec

Post by cckadlec » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:56 am

EdWalker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:01 am
statmanmi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:21 pm

* Henderson and his team advising that although the programming ceased on 10/24/2019, the actual transmission did not, since electrical power remained intact. Electric bills are provided to document consumption of juice. And that 11/2/2020 was the resumption of programming, using the STA specifications from the studio tower.
Is this saying that there was a dead carrier on the air from 10/24/19 (when programming ceased) to 11/2/20 (when programming resumed, but from the studio tower under STA)???? There was a dead carrier for over year? Just asking....
Gosh, I step away from this for a month and all of this happens. It's like...

"Today... on "As The Dial Turns"!"

I can confirm that when I was in town doing my radio work at Sleeping Bear and Traverse City the last week of August last year, it was all WDEZ throughout all of Traverse City with nothing else heard, dead carrier or otherwise. Sadly, electrical power continued but that broadcast absolutely did not.

[ Radio and weather geeks, beware! Coastal tropo studies, the 3-hr. Seoul AM Radio Listening Guide, 6-hr. 500 Top-of-Hour IDs, and Chinese FM at www.chriskadlec.comTuner: Grundig G8 • Location: Fremont, Mich. ]

statmanmi

Post by statmanmi » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:46 pm

statmanmi wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:21 pm

Circling back to the initial topic in this thread...
Well, something got decided by the lawyers and those involved in August, as Blarney Stone/Mr. Coyne dropped this FCC matter via additional filing on 8/26:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.ex ... _num=24974

With this included Explanation:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Att ... &exhcnum=1

"...This withdrawal is filed pursuant to a Settlement Agreement between Blarney Stone Broadcasting and N. Content Marketing, LLC and Roy E. Henderson dated August 11, 2021. Upon review of added facts, Blarney Stone Broadcasting, Inc. withdraws the petition."

Now wouldn't it be great to know what the Settlement Agreement states? My FCC document search skills are getting better, but seeking court filings is a whole different avenue that I haven't pursued.

Maybe the agreement lets WLDR's transmission equipment return to use at the Gray Road tower?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perhaps related to this matter is the fact that Mr. Henderson's wife was the winning bidder in the recent FCC Auction 109 for two FM allotments in Michigan: A class C3 for Onekama and class A for Carney (in the U.P.).

Undoubtedly there are more episodes forthcoming in "As The Dial Turns!". (I very much like your suggested title for all this, cckadlec!)

Cheers ~~ Statmanmi

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:51 pm

The terms of the Settlement Agreement were confidential, I suspect.

I suspect there was court-ordered mediation and the two sides probably came to mutually agreeable terms.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:10 pm

What business does Henderson have buying more allotments? The boy just don't make sense...

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:56 am

A smart move to drop the matter with a settlement. The Class C1 facility is the second best in the whole market Traverse City Region, and the strongest commercial signal in Traverse City. It would have been a shame if the license had gone to auction. But please, get this back up to full power ASAP.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 am

It would have been a shame if the license had gone to auction.
I'm not so sure I agree.

Kennelly Heaviside

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:41 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 am
It would have been a shame if the license had gone to auction.
I'm not so sure I agree.
1) How long will radio still be around?

2) How many years would the 101.9 frequency be off the air if they yanked the licensed, auctioned it off years later, and further haggling over who won the auction, whether they're qualified, whether they have character issues, etc., etc.?

If so, 101.9 would almost be gone forever, effectively speaking, if not forever.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:19 pm

It's likely to be off the air during long bouts under existing ownership and will probably never be commercially successful again.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:59 pm

If it went to auction it might not return for a decade, between waiting for the next auction, and build-out time.
Last edited by audiophile on Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic