Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Rock Radio Is Dead (At Least For Me)

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
Deleted User 4520

Rock Radio Is Dead (At Least For Me)

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:05 pm

If any rock radio executives are seeing this, please take note. Rock radio is largely dead to me. The reason is simple. They play very little of what I like and I feel like they are missing the boat with the GenX demographic. Bands I grew up listening to just aren't played on rock radio in a regular rotation. While I understand the need to appeal to a wide audience, GenX is ignored. I know traditionally that metal is somewhat "underground" and never was really played much. Sure you'll hear Metallica once in a while but that is pretty much it...might even hear classic Judas Priest but nothing new by them. Metal is extremely popular but even given that it never got the respect it deserved on the air. Having said that, current rock radio is irrelevant to me. There might be a station or two out there that plays metal but it's really not the norm nor something that is widespread. Would be nice turning on the radio in my car and suddenly hear Ratt, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, etc...

TC Talks

Re: Rock Radio Is Dead (At Least For Me)

Post by TC Talks » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Rock Radio died in 1979. That's when the accountants took over.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 pm

Do what I did in 2003 to solve that problem - Get SiriusXM.

Liquid Metal (Channel 40) or Ozzy’s Boneyard (Channel 38) play those artists.

I just renewed my subscription last night for $5 per vehicle

Deleted User 4520

Post by Deleted User 4520 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:21 pm

This is another point, terrestrial radio can't or won't compete with subscription services like SiriusXM.
Realist wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 pm

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 am

Actually it was on Sunday night on June 21, 1981 when former rock station in Saginaw called WHNN said "WHNN, Bay City, Saginaw, is RECYCLING!!!" Then it switched to soft Adult Contemporary on Monday, June 22, 1981 at 12:15 AM!!

matt1

Post by matt1 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:46 am

WHNN played Pink Floyd's "On The Run" when there were NO DJ's talking back on Friday, June 19, 1981 till Sunday night, June 21, 1981!!!

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:42 pm

I do remember the rolling of "On The Run," to shortly thereafter hear songs like "Believe It Or Not," by Joey Scarbury. WTAC had already gone Country, so I listened to my 8-tracks to get by while painting fire hydrants on the Dow Chemical campus in Midland.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:26 pm

TheForce wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:21 pm
This is another point, terrestrial radio can't or won't compete with subscription services like SiriusXM.
Realist wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 pm

They neither can nor will compete for two reasons - RATINGS and CUME.

I’ve heard from radio programmers In the past that the average time listening to terrestrial radio is 20 minutes. They further state that the average listener can’t name the song played 3 songs ago. Because of this, you have a 3.5 - 4 hour rotation on current songs and a tight playlist of the best testing songs.

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:48 am

matt1 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:43 am
Actually it was on Sunday night on June 21, 1981 when former rock station in Saginaw called WHNN said "WHNN, Bay City, Saginaw, is RECYCLING!!!" Then it switched to soft Adult Contemporary on Monday, June 22, 1981 at 12:15 AM!!
THOSE BASTARDS!

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:04 pm

Deleted User 4520 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:05 pm
If any rock radio executives are seeing this, please take note. Rock radio is largely dead to me. The reason is simple. They play very little of what I like and I feel like they are missing the boat with the GenX demographic. Bands I grew up listening to just aren't played on rock radio in a regular rotation. While I understand the need to appeal to a wide audience, GenX is ignored. I know traditionally that metal is somewhat "underground" and never was really played much. Sure you'll hear Metallica once in a while but that is pretty much it...might even hear classic Judas Priest but nothing new by them. Metal is extremely popular but even given that it never got the respect it deserved on the air. Having said that, current rock radio is irrelevant to me. There might be a station or two out there that plays metal but it's really not the norm nor something that is widespread. Would be nice turning on the radio in my car and suddenly hear Ratt, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, etc...

Stream WIDL. You may enjoy it. We have a google app; search "WIDL". Also, you can listen at www.classicrocki92.com

n8fnr

Detroit Rock Radio Is Dead (mostly)

Post by n8fnr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm

What? You mean that you don't want to hear Turn the Page or Walk this Way just one more time? Shame on you! Why would you not want to listen to stations (WCSX and WOMC I am talking to you) that only play 400+- songs over and over again for decades. The real wonder here is that anyone still listens to these stations at all. How can anyone listen to the same stuff over and over? Hell, I don't have any local rock radio stations programmed in any of my radios. I listen to some online stations that play some classic rock but play a wide variety and not just the standard crap. The Radio Caroline Quality Album Channel is a great alternative; http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

Saturdays on WDET at 2:00 PM is Rob Reinhart’s Essential Music and he plays an interesting mix as does Modern Music at 4PM.

Zack

bobhuge

Re: Detroit Rock Radio Is Dead (mostly)

Post by bobhuge » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm

n8fnr wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:48 pm
What? You mean that you don't want to hear Turn the Page or Walk this Way just one more time? Shame on you! Why would you not want to listen to stations (WCSX and WOMC I am talking to you) that only play 400+- songs over and over again for decades. The real wonder here is that anyone still listens to these stations at all. How can anyone listen to the same stuff over and over? Hell, I don't have any local rock radio stations programmed in any of my radios. I listen to some online stations that play some classic rock but play a wide variety and not just the standard crap. The Radio Caroline Quality Album Channel is a great alternative; http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#home.html

Saturdays on WDET at 2:00 PM is Rob Reinhart’s Essential Music and he plays an interesting mix as does Modern Music at 4PM.

Zack
Stream WIDL. You may enjoy it. We have a google app; search "WIDL". Also, you can listen at www.classicrocki92.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic