Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Storm Armageddon?...Not according to the voice trackers.

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
northradiotruth

Storm Armageddon?...Not according to the voice trackers.

Post by northradiotruth » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:15 pm

Saturday I drove through the worst storm I'd ever seen in Northern Michigan. While flipping through several stations I was embarrassed by what I heard. Voice tracking is the enemy of two of radio's strengths; Localization and immediacy. When the storms were developing I heard nothing from the DJ's who had obviously prerecorded their shows. Meanwhile, my phone was blowing up with warnings from 9&10 and other weather sites. Then the storm hit causing destruction all over the place. Every 15 minutes you might hear the national weather service warning but then they’d get back to the DJ’s oblivious, talking about celebrity birthdays and other crap they are grabbing off a prep sheet. One station had a weather forcast in the middle of all of it calling for “a chance of rain”. Don’t these stations have any contingency plans in case stuff happens over the weekend? What a joke. Radio may be dying but much of the wounds are self-inflicted.

audiophile

Re: Storm Armageddon?...Not according to the voice trackers.

Post by audiophile » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:08 pm

You are just listening to the wrong stations. I know stations that made probably 15 announcements between 4-6pm on Saturday.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:56 pm

I know that IPR and WNMC (collectively grabbing 18% of the audience locally) are no longer live due to COVID, bit should return to live radio in a while.

I know of no other local station that is live on the weekend. Does WUPS still have Joe Charlevoix weather breaks?

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:22 am

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:56 pm

I know of no other local station that is live on the weekend. Does WUPS still have Joe Charlevoix weather breaks?
I believe Joe Charlevoix is doing weather breaks for Eagle 101.5 in Gaylord and Manistee for the past year, after Black Diamond made some budget cuts.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:52 am

What about Gail Force? LOL

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Musicrewired

Post by Musicrewired » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:01 am

I saw that same thing happen probably 15 years ago, which shows that it's never been much of a priority. There was a tornado warning out, according to the EAS cutting in eventually, the sirens were going off, and it obviously looked bad out, but a nearby station was VT, as it was a weekend, and you'd never know listening to them that anything was happening.

I once worked at one of the EAS primary stations during a weather outbreak, and along with the assistance of our AM station, I probably ran 6 to 8 warnings in an hour's time. That was a far cry from the down-the-line stations, who were probably tired of getting the alerts. VT wasn't as prevalent then, so there were probably actual people working - that, as well as it was on a weekday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic