Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The Fox soon WCMU

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TC Talks

The Fox soon WCMU

Post by TC Talks » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:18 pm

To confirm much speculation...
Trustees also approved the acquisition of public broadcasting radio station WFCX-FM. The station, located in Traverse City, Michigan, is being sold by Northern Michigan Radio Inc. Acquisition of the station will expand WCMU's reach to all of the Grand Traverse and north central Michigan regions.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

northradiotruth

Re: The Fox soon WCMU

Post by northradiotruth » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:19 pm

Only one signal was bought by CMU , 94.3. I heard the other two signals (92.5 and 100.5) are going dark.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:40 pm

northradiotruth wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:19 pm
Only one signal was bought by CMU , 94.3. I heard the other two signals (92.5 and 100.5) are going dark.
I suspect a lot of those signals may no dark until deals are in place, now KLT and portions of the staff are going to Midwestern. Without a payroll to meet, you might has well apply for STA's and shut them down -- save yourself the power bills, as the remaining signal have no revenue to work with. Go dark until all the deals cross the finish line at the FCC... weeks or months... from now.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Of course, WFDX 92.5's coverage area is largely duplicative with that of 91.7 WCML-FM, so obviously there was no reason at all for Central Michigan University to purchase WFDX.

94.3 WFCX is a good purchase for them. Fills in a decent chunk of a coverage hole that exists when comparing CMU Public Radio coverage to CMU Public Television coverage.

48125er

Post by 48125er » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 am

Maybe 92.5 will become a repeater of Bob FM if MacDonald buys it

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:08 am

I suspect that the reason hat they can't unload 92.5 easily is that they sold the tower and had their tower rent raised higher than is sustainable, and there are downsides to relocating, like WLAV, being jammed in by other stations, making meaningful relocation difficult. This seems to be an increasing problem that needs to be addressed by relaxing certain FCC rules to make relocation easier.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:05 am

CK-722 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:08 am
I suspect that the reason hat they can't unload 92.5 easily is that they sold the tower and had their tower rent raised higher than is sustainable, and there are downsides to relocating, like WLAV, being jammed in by other stations, making meaningful relocation difficult. This seems to be an increasing problem that needs to be addressed by relaxing certain FCC rules to make relocation easier.
Exactly, roughly $18k in tower rent, and another $25-30k likely in power bills. Relocation relaxation will never occur, as you'd have frequencies stepping all over each other; worse than you have now. So many stations have been shoe-horned into markets acros the country, plus translators have been popping up to salvage AM stations (not to mention LPFMs). AM licenses need to go away, along with the translators associated with them. If the formats on them are financially viable, they need to migrate over to full FM licenses. Let the clusters figure it out which formats stay and which disappear.

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am

I think 92.5 is outside of the market (it is licensed to Atlanta in Montmorency County), so Midwestern or MacDonald-Garber could buy it

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:17 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am
I think 92.5 is outside of the market (it is licensed to Atlanta in Montmorency County), so Midwestern or MacDonald-Garber could buy it
If that were true, there would never have been the need for Baraga to buy the spinoff (106.7) from Blarney Stone's original deal with NBI. Boy, that seems like eons ago (well, at least three LMAs ago). :wink:

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:19 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:10 am
It's a junk station. 92.5 WAIR tried to make a go in the North 30+ years ago and it failed. It needs a translator to reach Petoskey.

I tuned into Rich's show this morning. He was doing his show like he has everyday, no hint that someday soon the station will vaporize. They are still promoting station events that will never happen. That is talent.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:55 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:19 pm
I tuned into Rich's show this morning. He was doing his show like he has everyday, no hint that someday soon the station will vaporize. They are still promoting station events that will never happen. That is talent.
Or delusion. Or self medication. Or the need to create some decent aircheck material. What happened to the chick?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:40 pm

She was also there

― Noam Chomsky

bmw

Post by bmw » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:47 am

Does anybody know the time frame on when 92.5 will go silent? I'm in the southeast fringe of their signal coverage, and I'm going to miss the station. Musically I like their format, even though their playlist is a little too tight. Nothing else quite like it on the radio in these parts.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Other than having to relocate if WFDX finds it impossible to come to an agreement with the new tower owners, I don't see a problem. It's not a situation nearly as daunting as WLAV's, I have discovered. If they have been booted off, there could be an STA until better options are explored.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

BigFreq

Post by BigFreq » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:02 am

CK-722 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:11 pm
Other than having to relocate if WFDX finds it impossible to come to an agreement with the new tower owners, I don't see a problem. It's not a situation nearly as daunting as WLAV's, I have discovered. If they have been booted off, there could be an STA until better options are explored.
Not sure where that tower moving notion would come from CK? I don't think anyone has been booted off anywhere; other than whatever might eventually happen in the case of Coyne v Henderson and WLDR. Good luck to anyone attempting to move stations around anywhere these days; spacing is clearly an issue in metro and coastal areas. And in the part of Northern Michigan we are talking about, tower sites are rather scarce; especially those than can accommodate multiple stations in an area where FDX is operating from. If it could have been moved east toward Alpena, it would have already been done for obvious competitive reasons. Same thing with a westward move, where things are pretty crowded across the spectrum. I would anticipate whomever buys FDX will likely be saddled with the tower rental agreement NBI agreed to when they sold the tower. And why would the tower company re-negotiate something they don't need to do? They wouldn't. I suppose a new owner could buy property somewhere nearby and erect their own tower... but that's essentially adding money and property taxes to an already losing proposition. The only broadcasters these days who can toss away money without fear of never seeing it again might be non-comms, as it's money from the masses picking up the tab.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic