Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

101.9 wldr

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TC Talks

Re: 101.9 wldr

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:27 pm
Given up on that, working on a weekly fax newsletter column on digital marketing. But to get back to the subject, would love to know which TC or Northern Michigan podcasts have 100,000 listeners...
Here's a clue... https://www.northernexpress.com/news/fe ... g-midlife/

She is only one of them. Remember her from when she was a failing Northern Broadcasting radio host? Maybe it wasn't the person but the medium. She was recently featured in the Wall Street Journal.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Mickey Lolich

Post by Mickey Lolich » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:44 pm

Wow. Reading that Mary Rogers article makes it sound like podcasting is a waste of time, especially as a business.
And what is radio TK?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Mary is absolutely making money but it's true that most don't make a dime.

My point is satellite and "consultant playlist" radio has competition that often offers more compelling listening, and it's super easy to listen to in the car and office.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

moldyoldie

Post by moldyoldie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:46 am

TC Talks wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm

She is only one of them. Remember her from when she was a failing Northern Broadcasting radio host? Maybe it wasn't the person but the medium. She was recently featured in the Wall Street Journal.
Fascinating reading, TC, thanks for posting. I congratulate her.

"The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make one's mind a pleasant place in which to spend one's leisure."
- Sydney J. Harris

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:06 pm

TC Talks A Whole Lot But Sometimes Talks Around The Subject wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:35 pm
Radio Sucks but I think I am changing my name soon wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:27 pm
Given up on that, working on a weekly fax newsletter column on digital marketing. But to get back to the subject, would love to know which TC or Northern Michigan podcasts have 100,000 listeners...

Glad to see her doing well. She was not treated very well in the "Let's Make The Peak a Female Based Station" fiasco from a few years ago.

The podcast business model is a mishmash. With almost a million choices and no real method of tracking results, advertisers shy away from podcasts except for PI (per incident) ads - "Use the code word TC TALKS IS A DOUCHE for a 10% discount" allow the advertiser to credit the right podcast. And there is no easy way to deliver a "daily" podcast. If I don't listen to "The Daily" from NYT every day, my phone wants to play me the oldest one I skipped instead of the newest (maybe I'm doing something wrong, podcasts must not like flip phones.).

But even Ms. Rogers admits the podcast isn't a great revenue source. "Where I really make money is, I offer listeners a one-hour midlife coaching call.” The podcast is more of an ad for her services which is not a bad thing.

Lots of claims bandied about in this article. "In September 2019, the show ranked No. 266 of all U.S. podcasts in the United States" with no source quoted - the typical high journalistic standards we've come to expect from the Express. While anything Nielsen publishes is inherently flawed, radio actually can show you how many people heard a particular spot. An over the air schedule of commercials (run on all stations over a 28 day period) in Traverse City can reach about 175,000 to 200,000 distinct listeners. Where's the data that shows how many a podcast can reach? And even Mary says that only 5% of her audience is local. Can't sell any Williams Chevys to people in New Zealand...

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:31 pm

An over the air schedule of commercials (run on all stations over a 28 day period) in Traverse City can reach about 175,000 to 200,000 distinct listeners. Where's the data that shows how many a podcast can reach? And even Mary says that only 5% of her audience is local
And here's my response: Great news for the 4 new car dealer groups in Traverse City. Radio can't deliver results as well for the other 99.3% of business owners. Why? Listeners are going elsewhere with the exception of a few stations. WLDR is an example of those stations that have no value, even with Finster.

I'm not saying that the top performers can't do well. I'm saying that outside 6 or 7 stations, everything else is useless when it comes to ROI.

TV is still viable, and social media driven marketing has proven itself, radio (and print) are in decline both replaced by digital options.

As for tracking podcasts? Much more reliable than a sample size of 300 people using diaries. EVERY listener is counted and comes with a demographic profile. Mary can utilize ad-sense to generate revenue from advertisers seeking very specific locations and demographics. Radio can't do that.

― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 pm

Remember that the figures reflect the entire Traverse City Petoskey Cadillac market counties, not just Traverse City or Grand Traverse County. This is a H*** area for even the biggest facilities to cover. Most of the bigger stations have satellites which simulcast them. Most still fall short of full coverage.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

northradiotruth

Post by northradiotruth » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 am

If I had to guess TC Talks profile I would guess his career in radio ended badly. He is lashing out the only way he can by constantly posting "Radio is dying, You are all going to lose your jobs" . Please stop with that nonsense. Radio, like every other medium, is facing more competition which means stations have to get leaner and better. Last I checked Radio still employs dozens and dozens of people all over Northern Michigan. As bad as they are, why would Blarney Stone Broadcasting continue to try to expand in this market if they didn't think they could make money? I don't think any stations are feeling competition from Mary's podcast. And you also think newspapers are dying, here is a shortlist of the papers still operating in Northern Michigan alone: Traverse City Record-Eagle, Petoskey News review, Cadillac News, Gaylord Herald Times, Cheboygan Tribune, Charlevoix Courier, Alpena News, Sault Evening news, St Ignace news......

I have been out of radio for 15 years. I look at the landscape and absolutely do not think it's dying. While trying to sound like the voice of reason, you just sound like a bitter old man.

northradiotruth

Post by northradiotruth » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:36 am

:hat

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 am

Actually, radio is now just a sideline for this man, northradiotruth. He now considers himself more of a missionary, in the narrow sense that he defines it, but not bound by any traditional beliefs of his professed religion. I'm sure that his past associates consider him something along the line of "The Great Bloviator".

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 pm
Remember that the figures reflect the entire Traverse City Petoskey Cadillac market counties, not just Traverse City or Grand Traverse County. This is a H*** area for even the biggest facilities to cover. Most of the bigger stations have satellites which simulcast them. Most still fall short of full coverage.
WTCM/WBCM 103.5/93.5 is the only commercial station that comes close to full coverage IMHO. Rock 105/95.5 is probably next (their signal is a little iffy in the Cadillac area). Most other commercial stations can't be received on a regular basis in Cadillac and especially Manistee (the only TC market stations that put a listenable signal over the entirety of Manistee County are WTCM (both AM and FM), Rock 95.5, 98.1 the Bear, Z93, and ESPN 105.5)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:13 am

I have been out of radio for 15 years. I look at the landscape and absolutely do not think it's dying. While trying to sound like the voice of reason, you just sound like a bitter old man.
So, a 40%+ decline in revenue for terrestrial radio over the past 15 years doesn't qualify as "dying" ?

Traverse City has persevered as a radio market more admirably than larger nearby markets in part because Traverse City dodged the iFarts and Cumuluses of the world.

Far too much debt was placed on M&A activities.

The slashing of jobs in the industry has absolutely nothing to do with making stations "better." Leaner? Yes. Investment in product is being sacrificed all in the name of debt service.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 am
Actually, radio is now just a sideline for this man, northradiotruth. He now considers himself more of a missionary, in the narrow sense that he defines it, but not bound by any traditional beliefs of his professed religion. I'm sure that his past associates consider him something along the line of "The Great Bloviator".
What's this babbling about?

Fortunately, I got out of the industry with a decent pile of money around 2004. But I was smart enough to see the writing on the wall when Cumulus AM/FM and Citadel started buying up my client's properties.

Have you ever seen me take shots at well run independent broadcasters? I don't. I am a fan of Mike Chires, and lauded MidWest for shedding the few losers they had on staff a while ago but commend the operation. I can even stomach MacGarb, because they run a good business. Even our NPR stations are healthy.

But, Northern has been for sale for years and are doing things as barebones as possible, Blaney Stone is underfunded and no one should be defending Fort Bend.

Just so we are clear.

― Noam Chomsky

NMCSpeaks

Post by NMCSpeaks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:06 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am
Ben Zonia wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 am
What's this babbling about?

Fortunately, I got out of the industry with a decent pile of money around 2004. But I was smart enough to see the writing on the wall when Cumulus AM/FM and Citadel started buying up my client's properties.

Have you ever seen me take shots at well run independent broadcasters? I don't. I am a fan of Mike Chires, and lauded MidWest for shedding the few losers they had on staff a while ago but commend the operation. I can even stomach MacGarb, because they run a good business. Even our NPR stations are healthy.

But, Northern has been for sale for years and are doing things as barebones as possible, Blaney Stone is underfunded and no one should be defending Fort Bend.

Just so we are clear.
“Just so we are clear,” eh?

We know that for years you have always promoted Midwest, and particularly WTCM.

Being consistent is very important if you want to be looked upon as being a self implied authority on the subject of radio.

It would also help if you would refrain from talking shit about the radio industry itself. Oh, and other people and broadcasting stations, and the companies that represent them.

I subscribe to the fact that I choose to positively promote the broadcast industry through education.
And I am promoting it here today.

To be an authority on this subject, you should promote service to the industry while it continues to evolve. And above all, be non-bloviating.

Just so we are clear.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Well good for you!

I think the industry is dying in general. As someone who's only been here since October I'm curious about your knowledge of the history of this board.

I will never be supportive of a neglent or unkind business. As has been stated accurately, radio revenues are in decline by over 40% in the past decade. Commercial radio has lost its way largely. They have forgotten that their product is their listeners, and advertisers don't have a value in reaching those listeners via radio.

That's life, that's business.

Wtcm in fact has had some losers working for them. They also ran some hate-filled programming in my opinion. but I have also seen them take steps to become a community resource rather than a political patsy.

So we are clear...

― Noam Chomsky

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic