All accepted registrations through December 9 at 7:00p ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48619

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Ratings are out!

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
ftballfan
Posts: 798
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Ratings are out!

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:34 pm

New ratings just released: https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb335

Just 56% of listeners go to subscribing stations! I would guess Trish's stations would combine for around 13-15% of listeners and other non-subscribers/out of market stations combine for around 5-10%, so that would mean 20-25% of radio listening in the overall Traverse City market is SiriusXM or internet radio (and that figure is probably closer to 30-40% in some of the outlying counties).

580's share is impressive for an AM without a translator!



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5349
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:54 pm

Look at that! Rock 105/95.5 and KLT are tied! :)

Another disaster of a book for 101.9 WLDR.


Jackie Green is single-handedly ruining WLAV!

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2456
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by TC Talks » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:21 pm

I really think the methodology in a small market is crap, but the signals per person are ridiculous in the market with all the noncontributing Jesus signals clogging the adjacent freqs.

WNMC never appears in the book but traditionally pulls about half a share below ICA news radio.

You have it backwards: Traverse City is a very personal audio town. Everyone rocks their own playlist. The outlying people are much more likely to be listening to the radio. I seriously don't hear any stations in town except WTCM am/fm, IPR, WNMC and WCCW. Every once in a while Z93.


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

EdWalker
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by EdWalker » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:51 pm

There are really too many signals in nearly every market.



Radio Sucks
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by Radio Sucks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:51 am

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:34 pm
New ratings just released: https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb335

Just 56% of listeners go to subscribing stations! I would guess Trish's stations would combine for around 13-15% of listeners and other non-subscribers/out of market stations combine for around 5-10%, so that would mean 20-25% of radio listening in the overall Traverse City market is SiriusXM or internet radio (and that figure is probably closer to 30-40% in some of the outlying counties).

580's share is impressive for an AM without a translator!
Sorry Skippy. Sirius listening is not tabulated in the totals..
Inside Radio wrote:Listening to SiriusXM Radio isn’t quantified by Nielsen in the form of a syndicated measurement service like thousands of local radio stations are.



Radio Sucks
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by Radio Sucks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 am

And the defender of all that is public radio wrote:WNMC never appears in the book but traditionally pulls about half a share below ICA news radio.
Even tried the Radio Ratings Consortium books? I thought they showed up there. Is Interlochen subscribing to the full book now? I think they changed the rules for public stations recently.



User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2456
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by TC Talks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Radio Sucks wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:56 am
And the defender of all that is public radio wrote:WNMC never appears in the book but traditionally pulls about half a share below ICA news radio.
Even tried the Radio Ratings Consortium books? I thought they showed up there. Is Interlochen subscribing to the full book now? I think they changed the rules for public stations recently.
We would use RRC (Radio Research Consortium) when we bought time in Traverse City, I don't have a subscription any longer. I can't speak for wnmc, I predict they could care less about ratings.

If Nielsen is using PPM then I can guarantee it will not be an accurate reflection. RRC uses Nielsen raw data to tabulate.


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

Radio Sucks
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by Radio Sucks » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm

There's no meters outside the top 50 markets. TC/Petoskey/Cadillac is a diary market, with 2 - 12 week periods of diaries processed into a report every 6 months. So this report represents diary collection from Fall 2018 and Spring 2019, combined into one report. I haven't seen any actual numbers, but the squirrels tell me that MGB may have done a little better than the OP gave them credit for.



ftballfan
Posts: 798
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by ftballfan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:26 pm

IMHO, the Traverse City market is three or four separate markets joined by a few signals (WTCM/WBCM, WKLT/WKLZ, WGFM/WGFE, WKHQ, WJZQ): The Traverse City five-county area; Petoskey/Cheboygan/Gaylord; Cadillac/Houghton Lake (HL not in the market, but WUPS is a subscriber); Manistee/Ludington (Ludington not in the market and Manistee is only in it because of WTCM-FM, Z93, IPR, and the two Glen Arbor sticks)

IPR News would probably be doing even better if they were on 101.9 instead of 91.5



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5349
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Sounds like KHQ may have seen a nice gain?

I bet Lite 96 fared well, too, given the weak performances of The Fox FM, WCCW-FM, etc.

96.7 The Bull can be a wild card depending on where diaries get distributed.

101.9 fucked up when it dumped country. Classic country centered on the 90s and early 2000s (with select cuts from the 80s, too) would be the way to go.


Jackie Green is single-handedly ruining WLAV!

EdWalker
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:51 pm

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by EdWalker » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:37 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:34 pm
New ratings just released: https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb335

Just 56% of listeners go to subscribing stations! I would guess Trish's stations would combine for around 13-15% of listeners and other non-subscribers/out of market stations combine for around 5-10%, so that would mean 20-25% of radio listening in the overall Traverse City market is SiriusXM or internet radio (and that figure is probably closer to 30-40% in some of the outlying counties).

580's share is impressive for an AM without a translator!
In markets like TC, the broadcasters usually attempt to define a large geo area to boost the population count, yet the sample size is still so small that the margin of error is very large. As a broadcaster though, they are still a thrill to look at.

Wonder how much national business justifies the cost. Local retailers just want the cash register to ring.



User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5349
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:32 am

Not sure I accept the "margin of error is very large" argument. Many stations in the region produce consistent ratings year after year. We'd see much more volatility among the top stations in particular if sampling technique were a major issue.

Since adding 95.5, Rock 105/95.5 is consistently between a 5 and 6 share. WTCM-FM is almost always between a 10 and 12 share. KLT is usually around a 6 share. Lite 96 is usually between a 4 and 5 share. Ditto Big Country 102.9. The Fox FM, Bob FM, and The Bear are usually in the 2's. Z93 is usually between a 2.5 and a 3.5. ESPN & 101.9 are usually in the 1's.

106 KHQ and WCCW-FM seem to move around the most. In KHQ's case, stationality & music category shifts in recent years have contributed to that.


Jackie Green is single-handedly ruining WLAV!

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2456
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:19 am

The problem any new station will run into is this rolling average ratings methodology. If I launched a new station tomorrow it would take nearly two years for the ratings to catch up.

As for 101.9 there is no chance in hell they would ever see any Revenue from a country station. Lite has absolutely no presence in Traverse City, wldr was a light format for years.

You have to remember the most buys have nothing to do with ratings. We get very few national buys, everything is local direct sales. Perception is more important that numbers in a questionable survey.

But the big picture still remains that from a perception standpoint there are only about five stations people listen to. Most people don't even think about radio at all. It would be a fun exercise to go into 50 cars and see where the presets are. In my opinion that would be a more accurate survey than diaries.


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 5349
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:51 am

As for 101.9 there is no chance in hell they would ever see any Revenue from a country station.
You think sticking with AC that draws no ratings is better?!?! You've gotta be kidding. The fact no one is doing Classic Country in Northern MI (other than the translator in Cheboygan - which seems to be doing very well) is absurd.

Aren't you one of the people who said Active Rock would never work in Northern MI years ago? Aren't you one of the people who said Soft AC / EZ would perform well?
Most people don't even think about radio at all. It would be a fun exercise to go into 50 cars and see where the presets are. In my opinion that would be a more accurate survey than diaries.
Definitely would be an interesting exercise. I don't disagree.


Jackie Green is single-handedly ruining WLAV!

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2456
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Ratings are out!

Post by TC Talks » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 am

No one bought or will buy a country station other than WTCM. It's almost as if you want to position your business with a loser.

I agree that there are 3 markets in our survey area. Like Ann Arbor to Detroit. TC is the Detroit, Petoskey is the Ann Arbor. In the TC market, WTCM is the country station but we have no Lite station.

Again, ratings dont matter to anyone other than two groups.


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic