All accepted registrations through September 8 at 11:45a ET have been activated. Thank you! -M.W.

Please note: Terms of Use have been amended effective June 9, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30571

All user accounts that have been inactive since January 1, 2017 have been expunged. If you are one of these users and wish to submit a new post, please re-register. Thank you.

Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Covers all of Northern Lower Michigan (from Ludington to Tawas northward), as well as the Straits Area and Soo Region.
TVC_DX5678
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by TVC_DX5678 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:00 pm

This could be a recreation of a lost thread, but call it what you will. Let's talk about the latest news about Blarney Stone and their new stations.

As of right now:

- 99.3 (finally with better sound quality) and 100.3 (with a weaker signal) are simulcasting (with a h*** delay, though).
- 92.3 briefly aired sports programs, but has mostly been silent.
- Haven't got anything from 100.1 in a while, but they were previously simulcasting 99.3/100.3
- I can't speak for 101.1 because I don't live in their coverage area, and the WJML translator on said frequency.

Anyone else have anything to say on what's been going on?



organman95
Posts: 182
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by organman95 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:05 pm

If this were the 1980s, I'd call it tropo events...



ftballfan
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by ftballfan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 am

Where is 99.3 broadcasting from (I'm guessing somewhere in/near Traverse City)? I got a 99.3 playing Van Hagar's Right Now last night coming home from a basketball game. That song is not something WOWN in Shawano would play. How much are 99.3 and 100.3 delayed? I tried checking 100.3, but it was all Neenah-Menasha.



TVC_DX5678
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 am
Location: Traverse City, MI
Contact:

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by TVC_DX5678 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:10 am

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:02 am
Where is 99.3 broadcasting from (I'm guessing somewhere in/near Traverse City)? I got a 99.3 playing Van Hagar's Right Now last night coming home from a basketball game. That song is not something WOWN in Shawano would play. How much are 99.3 and 100.3 delayed? I tried checking 100.3, but it was all Neenah-Menasha.
AFAIK, they're broadcasting from their normal tower site. 99.3 comes in strong in TC, but I can't speak for anywhere else. I got both WQON and WNCY on 100.3 last night, both sounding pretty weak. It's strange, because WQON has always had a decent signal where I live.

As for the delay, I didn't really count the seconds, my guesstimate is probably about 20-30 seconds.



hunterw
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: Ludington, Fort Myers Beach FL

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by hunterw » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Was driving back from ludington yesterday and saw a billboard for 101.9 wldr on US31 between ludington and Manistee. Still can’t get it in very well in northern mason county.



Nelson
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:48 pm
Location: East Jordan, MI

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by Nelson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't know what's going on with 100.3 but their signal has been up and down. They were unusually weak most of November. At one point last week, I tuned them in and found they were back up to full power. The last couple of days, though, they've been weak again.



WC8KCY
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:09 am
Location: 44° 14' N 86° 18' W HAAT: 10m ERP: 5W

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by WC8KCY » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm

hunterw wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:42 pm
Was driving back from ludington yesterday and saw a billboard for 101.9 wldr on US31 between ludington and Manistee. Still can’t get it in very well in northern mason county.
I saw the billboard too, facing northbound US-31 traffic a couple of miles south of the Manistee/Mason county line.

Just tried tuning 101.9 in on my home receiver. Dead air.


Hamming it up on 2m and 70cm

ftballfan
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by ftballfan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:38 pm

I was up in Kaleva yesterday afternoon and 92.3 WBNZ was broadcasting CBS Sports Radio // to 101.1 WGRY (which I was surprisingly able to get there considering WIXX and WJML's translator). 92.3 was about 5-10 seconds behind 101.1. 99.3 WQAN was // to 100.3 WQON (which was mixing with WNCY).

92.3 has to be running 50kW or close to it since it was strong in Kaleva, with 99.3 being noticeably weaker than 92.3. If I had to guess, 99.3 might be broadcasting with a few thousand watts from somewhere in or near Traverse City proper.



sfpcc
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:05 pm

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by sfpcc » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 am

This might be an odd tangent but is Blarney Stone Broadcasting related to The Blarney Stone Group that owns several gas stations / convenience stores in The Northern Lower Peninsula and the U.P?



Milk
Posts: 318
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by Milk » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:52 am

sfpcc wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 am
This might be an odd tangent but is Blarney Stone Broadcasting related to The Blarney Stone Group that owns several gas stations / convenience stores in The Northern Lower Peninsula and the U.P?
You're thinking Blarney Castle.



ftballfan
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by ftballfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Milk wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:52 am
sfpcc wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 am
This might be an odd tangent but is Blarney Stone Broadcasting related to The Blarney Stone Group that owns several gas stations / convenience stores in The Northern Lower Peninsula and the U.P?
You're thinking Blarney Castle.
No relation between Blarney Stone and Blarney Castle (Blarney Castle has over 100 convenience stores/gas stations all over Michigan)



User avatar
SpartanAM
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:51 am

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by SpartanAM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:11 pm

ftballfan wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:20 pm
Milk wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:52 am
sfpcc wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:10 am
This might be an odd tangent but is Blarney Stone Broadcasting related to The Blarney Stone Group that owns several gas stations / convenience stores in The Northern Lower Peninsula and the U.P?
You're thinking Blarney Castle.
No relation between Blarney Stone and Blarney Castle (Blarney Castle has over 100 convenience stores/gas stations all over Michigan)
Are they related to the Coyne Oil and Propane corporation? http://www.coyneoil.com/


She's got the tower... She's got the power...

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:19 pm

101.9 WLDR seems to have taken on a decidedly softer & older sound in recent weeks. I am not suggesting recent & more upbeat titles have been eliminated, but they comprise a smaller percentage of the playlist than they once did.

The blend of music resembles 96.1 in Bay City.


Memo to WGRD: You need to sound a LOT more like your phenomenal sister station in Davenport, IA.

I-Rock 93.5 f*cking rules!!! https://irock935.com/playlist/

User avatar
TC Talks
Posts: 2261
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 am

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by TC Talks » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Those old Buick/Cadillac/Lincoln driving farts need something to listen to.

We are a retirement mecca with very little "Office" listenership.

Good move.


© 2019 TC Talks ltd. Assembled in U.S.A.

User avatar
MWmetalhead
Site Admin
Posts: 4931
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:23 am

Re: Blarney Stone Broadcasting and Roy Henderson

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:07 pm

A number of AC stations seem to be gravitating in that direction.

Reportedly, WLIT in Chicago is considering morphing into a Soft AC (much like the old Windy 100) once its Christmas Music marathon concludes.

New music pickings are slim at the moment - in terms of stuff that will have long-lasting adult female appeal - and I think folks are getting burnt out on Kelly Clarkson, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, et al.

WLDR is beginning to sound like the Sunny 102 of old, and that's probably not a bad thing.


Memo to WGRD: You need to sound a LOT more like your phenomenal sister station in Davenport, IA.

I-Rock 93.5 f*cking rules!!! https://irock935.com/playlist/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic