Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WCMU Public Radio to go all news

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
JimmyKeller

WCMU Public Radio to go all news

Post by JimmyKeller » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:25 pm

On Wednesday March 1st, after 50 years on the air, WCMU will be changing format and going all news. No jobs will be lost due to this change. The HD2 station will be 24 hour classical.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WCMU Public Radio to go all news

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Thanks for the info.

I think this is a smart move, personally. I'm surprised this move didn't occur sooner, frankly.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:45 pm

I have mixed feelings about this. It sucks to lose programming like Nightside Jazz and Blues which has been on the station since virtually the beginning of time. On the other hand this brings some of the best NPR news and talk programming to areas that didn't have access to it previously unless they were within listening range of the HD2 news/talk service (89.5-2, 91.7-2, 103.9-2, 90.1-2) or of WICA/WHBP. I can't get a good signal from 90.1 or 91.5 at my uncle's place near Gaylord and his Internet is not the most reliable so it's nice to not have to be tied to an HD radio or Internet stream to hear The World, 1A etc. when I'm vacationing there.
Wouldn't surprise me if WIAA/WIAB adds some jazz programming for those disenfranchised listeners.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:15 am

I'm glad CMU didn't toss student-run AAA station 91.5 The Mountain to the curb in favor of boring Classical music.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:21 pm

The inside story is that at least one very influential CMU board member and Classical fan has retired, and the broadcast group saw it's opportunity to do something they've been wanting to do for years. Interlochen with a low power stick in Mackinaw has proven the point that News/Talk smokes Classical when it comes to listenership. CMU has a flame thrower signal up there and was beat hands down.

Given the landscape they own with no competition, it should give them a slew of new listener/donors.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:40 am

Do you think there is any chance of Interlochen considering placing its NPR-heavy news/talk format on the 88.7 stick, or at least swapping the formats of 88.5 & 90.1 in the tip o' the mitt?

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:40 am
Do you think there is any chance of Interlochen considering placing its NPR-heavy news/talk format on the 88.7 stick, or at least swapping the formats of 88.5 & 90.1 in the tip o' the mitt?
Classical music is the core of Interlochen. This is what they do and they're one of the best in the world at teaching students classical music. I don't see them de-emphasizing that on their most powerful signals.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:57 am

Maybe the Interlochen News stations could put any nonclassical music on during some day parts. Interlochen stands to benefit from CMU moving to a format that is the equivalent of Air America on FM, which will not appeal to a lot of listeners, in fact, will turn them off.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:10 pm

Ben Zonia wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:57 am
Maybe the Interlochen News stations could put any nonclassical music on during some day parts. Interlochen stands to benefit from CMU moving to a format that is the equivalent of Air America on FM, which will not appeal to a lot of listeners, in fact, will turn them off.
Funny, the ratings (via RRC) show NPR news stations hit in the top 5 stations in most markets (including Traverse City). Where do you get your bullshit ideas?

― Noam Chomsky

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:41 am

I'm certainly unaware of any example of a full power FM public radio station in any ranked market that has gone the news-talk route that later regretted it and reverted to music.

Even most of the fine arts intensive stations air some or all of Morning Edition and All Things Considered daily.

Michigan Radio has a crappy signal east of Telegraph Rd (except in higher terrain) in the Detroit market yet regularly outperforms some in-market commercial FMs here. I see they also edged ahead of WJR in the January rating survey, and I suspect in A25-54 that WUOM is ahead of WJR by a significant margin.

Greg Buben

Post by Greg Buben » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:04 pm

I think a better idea for CMU Public Radio if they choose to run NPR news/ talk would be to have it on in the daytime
until 7:00 pm. I would put classical music on from 7- 11 pm each night followed by Nightside from 11:00 pm to 5:00 am.
That way the classical people and the listeners of Nightside who like jazz with some blues mixed in could still get their
music and the NPR people could get their programs. By the way I wonder what CMU will do with all of their vinyl and
cds that they have because they have a vast library of classical, jazz, blues, and other music from what I've been told.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:01 pm

Something like this?

― Noam Chomsky

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:43 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if they donate all the classical recordings to Interlochen. CMU HD2 is, from what I understand, just a relay of the national Classical 24 feed (which I believe is also heard on IPR overnights).
I like classical music, but I echo M.W.'s sentiments that they should leave WMHW alone. They're a unique island in the sea of Country and Classic Hits that is Central Michigan. A large part of WMHW's coverage area can probably pick up either WIAA or WKAR-FM anyway.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:52 am

Does WCMU still have a 'read to the blind' SCA sub-channel? My aunt's neighbor had a dedicated SCA receiver for it many years ago.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic