Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

The best music radio program in Lansing

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Greg Buben

The best music radio program in Lansing

Post by Greg Buben » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:55 am

I believe that the best music radio program in Lansing is on Sunday nights at 7. That is "The Capital City Blues Cruise"
hosted by Scott Allman on WMMQ-FM 94.9 the classic rock station. Now that LCC sold their weak station WLNZ to U-M
that means that the only blues from Lansing airs Sunday night because all music shows including the blues on WLNZ
are gone. The only LCC produced shows on the new WLNZ are a few talk shows.. Lansing could use a better non com-
mercial FM station that has more power than WLNZ and that plays music besides Classical on WKAR-FM and Christian
music on Smile FM. LCC did a disservice by selling their weak little WLNZ to U-M and it was especially distasteful to do
that in the Sparty market.

ChrisWL1980

Re: The best music radio program in Lansing

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:35 pm

More power than WLNZ... check.
Music format other than Classical or CCM... check.
https://impact89fm.org/

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:56 am

WUOM had plenty of listeners in the "Sparty" market long before WLNZ sold its airtime. A 3 to 4 share for WUOM is rather common.

That said, I largely agree with Greg regarding the Blues Cruise! Personally, my favorite is Scary Terry's Saturday Nightmare on Q106. :horns

Compared to other cities its size, the Lansing radio dial is pretty good.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:25 pm

My brother and sister-in law used to live in Lansing. I was impressed with the radio dial, more variety than what Toledo offers.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:10 pm

No shortage of options if you're a Contemporary Christian or NPR listener, that's for sure.
But on commercial radio, there's also Soft AC, Rhythmic AC and Classic Country, none of which are available in the Detroit market. WION out of Ionia is quite listenable on AM. Midwest's stations all seem to do what they do quite well, especially Q106 (and I'm not even an Active Rock listener). And there are still commercial stations with Michigan-based ownership.

Trophyhead

Post by Trophyhead » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:00 am

My wife enjoys Mike FM in Lansing, when we pass through the area on I-96.

I imagine The Fat One comes in at 930 AM, I found that one on a trip to Marshall to play some golf late this Spring.

Was glad to have cut my teeth in Lansing radio after graduating from State, in the early days of Perles. Many great memories. Took me a long time to realize our engineer, the late Larry Estlack had his own request show on WWMQ, because I rarely powered through on Saturday nights.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:41 pm

I listened to Scary Terry's show, and I liked it. WIOT won't even touch any of the music the show plays anymore.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:06 pm

Trophyhead wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:00 am
My wife enjoys Mike FM in Lansing, when we pass through the area on I-96.

I imagine The Fat One comes in at 930 AM, I found that one on a trip to Marshall to play some golf late this Spring.

Was glad to have cut my teeth in Lansing radio after graduating from State, in the early days of Perles. Many great memories. Took me a long time to realize our engineer, the late Larry Estlack had his own request show on WWMQ, because I rarely powered through on Saturday nights.
WFAT's signal strength in Lansing is somewhat listenable on a car radio. Not as good a signal as WION though. As you head west on 96, 930 comes in better. The FM translator makes Charlotte on a good day.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic