Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Easy 93 flips to Christmas music

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
radioandtventhusiast

Re: Easy 93 flips to Christmas music

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:33 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 pm
Calvert DeForest wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:46 am
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:34 pm
100.5 The River in GR was going all-Christmas after Thanksgiving as early as 1998. So was 101.5 The River in Toledo. If I'm not mistaken it was 920 WOKY in Milwaukee, then a standards outlet, that pioneered the all-Christmas format around 1995. But it didn't seem to really become a widespread thing until 2001.
I was unaware that 100.5 The River had started the format that early. Makes sense that it would originate with an AM Adult Standards station as it would be a perfect niche for that format. A friend of mine worked the 7-midnight shift at WGHN in Grand Haven during the early 90's when the station aired all Christmas music in the evenings between Thanksgiving and Christmas. As I recall they also programmed it in all weekend dayparts. The local merchants were big on it because it was something they could play in their establishments during peak business hours. I remember visiting him in the studio and thinking what an odd concept it was at the time. Little did I know....

Some stations have stunted with the All-Christmas approach between format flips dating back to the 90's (perhaps even before then). WLS-FM in Chicago flipped to Christmas music for a month while transitioning from Talk to Country. Think that was around 1995-96. Before the format became a staple it was more of an indicator that a new format was coming after the holidays.
I had completely forgotten about WGHN doing all-Christmas in the evenings around that time. If memory serves that was the default all-Christmas station for Muskegon as well until Star 108 started (now WMUS) making the switch, which I think was in 2001, the same year as Star 105.7.

If I'm not mistaken, WRVF in Toledo started it in 1995, which was the year they changed from being WLQR. I'm not sure if they still do it but 96.1 WMTR in Archbold, Ohio has also done it in years past, an interesting move for a station that is basically Classic Rock.
I think 96.1 did it last year. I Kind of like their regular playlist better as it's slightly deeper than other stations.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 am

Looks like there are now four all-Christmas stations in Lansing. In addition to WXLA, WFMK and Shine.FM (95.3 and 100.7 HD2), 94.1 Duke FM is now playing what it calls "Country Christmas." Actually, only about five songs an hour could be considered country; the balance includes such "country icons" as Gloria Estefan, Ariana Grande and 98 Degrees. Still, the increased number of country titles in comparison to the competition gives it a slightly more unique flavor.
Is Midwest trying to compensate for 106.5 going "Jack" to keep Star 105.7 from having a Christmas music monopoly in the Battle Creek market? Or could this mean a flip at 94.1 after the holidays? I don't recall 94.1 doing all-Christmas since the Soft Rock 94.1 debacle.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:22 pm

Yeah, I was very unhappy with what I heard on WWDK while driving through the area earlier this afternoon.

TERRIBLE move on their part.

radioandtventhusiast

Post by radioandtventhusiast » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm

ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 am
Looks like there are now four all-Christmas stations in Lansing. In addition to WXLA, WFMK and Shine.FM (95.3 and 100.7 HD2), 94.1 Duke FM is now playing what it calls "Country Christmas." Actually, only about five songs an hour could be considered country; the balance includes such "country icons" as Gloria Estefan, Ariana Grande and 98 Degrees. Still, the increased number of country titles in comparison to the competition gives it a slightly more unique flavor.
Is Midwest trying to compensate for 106.5 going "Jack" to keep Star 105.7 from having a Christmas music monopoly in the Battle Creek market? Or could this mean a flip at 94.1 after the holidays? I don't recall 94.1 doing all-Christmas since the Soft Rock 94.1 debacle.
Reminds me one time of when I heard Mariah Carey's classic on CKWW, didn't fit in well with the rest of the oldies format.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:42 am

That's baffling. I'd think Duke would stick to what it does best. Filling the Classic Country niche has made it successful in the market. I could see rotating Christmas songs from core artists in the standard format, but deviating this far from their brand with music from artists not related to the genre doesn't make sense.

That being said, I think a post-holiday format flip is unlikely. The format has respectable numbers in its target demo and the audience is loyal provided people hear what they tune in to hear. I don't see how this is a positive for the Duke brand, but then again I'm just an ex-radio fart with an opinion. :razz

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 am

radioandtventhusiast wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 pm
ChrisWL1980 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:17 am
Reminds me one time of when I heard Mariah Carey's classic on CKWW, didn't fit in well with the rest of the oldies format.
WDRQ (as Nash/New Country) has also played the Mariah and other ill-fitting Christmas records. Nothing like hearing "Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy" next to the latest hick-hop monstrosity by Sam Hunt.
The Carpenters had a Top 10 country hit with "Sweet, Sweet Smile," and "Top of the World" got successfully covered by Lynn Anderson; and Amy Grant is married to a country star, so I guess one could stretch the definition of "Country Christmas" to include those artists. But Mariah Carey? Ariana Grande? Mary J. Blige? Not seeing the country connection there, but all three of those are being played on Duke.

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Duke is still playing all Christmas but have adjusted their mix to remove a lot of the pop stuff that didn't fit. It's probably 85% country or country-styled rock/pop now (including some real "oh wow" songs), and the pop stuff that remains is mostly oldies.
Sounds a lot better to my taste, but I still miss the regular music.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic