Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Monica Harris Retires from Radio

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
gotigers

Monica Harris Retires from Radio

Post by gotigers » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:26 pm

On Friday, Monica Harris announced she's leaving WFMK to pursue other career opportunities. She and Danny Stewart have hosted mornings on 99.1 since 2007 but worked together before that at WVIC.

Danny's story on the WFMK website: https://99wfmk.com/the-end-of-an-era-da ... to-monica/

Her husband David Andrews (of WILX) also posted a nice tribute on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DavidAndrewsWi ... 6218834560

Trophyhead

Re: Monica Harris Retires from Radio

Post by Trophyhead » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:02 am

I am sure Calvert DeForest can specify, but Monica was, as I recall, the midday presenter on LS102 when I worked there in the Summer and Fall of '84.

I think the late Tim VanHouten was afternoons there, at that time and went by Tim Wilson. Filled in once on a midday shift, the day after the Tigers won the World Series, otherwise weekends, evenings and board opping, that was my role at WILS-FM and AM.

Regardless, a good long run on the market's airwaves for Monica, best wishes with her next opportunity.

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:49 am

Trophyhead wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:02 am
I am sure Calvert DeForest can specify, but Monica was, as I recall, the midday presenter on LS102 when I worked there in the Summer and Fall of '84.

I think the late Tim VanHouten was afternoons there, at that time and went by Tim Wilson. Filled in once on a midday shift, the day after the Tigers won the World Series, otherwise weekends, evenings and board opping, that was my role at WILS-FM and AM.

Regardless, a good long run on the market's airwaves for Monica, best wishes with her next opportunity.
You remember well. I first worked with Monica the summer and fall of 1983 at K92. The FM was co-located with WQTK-AM (now WWSJ) in the art-deco building on Parks Road south of St. Johns, where the AM station still resides. Monica had already moved over to WILS when I landed there in late '83. Fast-forward to the mid-90's when we worked together again at WIBM-FM (now WWDK). Monica did news for the morning show and I was weekends & part-time fill-in. Our paths would occasionally cross when I worked a Sunday overnight shift and she was in to prep for Monday morning drive. We often waxed poetic about the old days on Cavanaugh and the many stories therein.

Monica is one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to work with. A classy lady who has always dedicated herself to work and family. She has maintained a local presence in a rapidly-changing business and has done very well. I wish her all the best in whatever endeavor she wishes to pursue going forward!

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:44 pm

I will second that, Calvert. I only worked with Monica briefly at the New95FM in the late '80s (gosh, we were so young then!), but she was definitely a great talent and a great person. Can't say everyone I crossed paths with have/had both those attributes.

richmichaels

Post by richmichaels » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Monica was amazing to work with. She didn't have a personal agenda ... never tried to highjack the direction of a bit or be a downer, like - I won't say. She was a star at 95FM and helped us OWN the market in the 1980s. Then later, in the '90s and through 2005, she helped lightning hit again as the PERFECT intelligent 'foil' at 97.5. We were blessed to go #1 again there in the '90s and the 2000s. I remember us on the morning show talking and crying, describing the unfolding of 9/11. I have the recordings. All of them. She was the person who lit up mornings again at WFMK, and they will suffer from her loss. I know they treated her like a POS intern all those years at 99. The headcases at TSquare really know how to lose talented people. I have heard some of them over at MidWest ... However, they did it. Nice work!!! By the way, Randy Stine, you still sound fantastic and fun and helped carve the soul out of WMMQ, which I see is doing worse than ever and should just go back to a peashooter antenna [Hey, I haven't been on here and years and need to get a lot out quick!!! .... ha, ha]. When you take away the personalities, the controversy, the great promotions and then get a competitor (with half the signal) playing the same music, you have nothing to hold people's attention. ........ Anyway, Love you, Monica. Thank you for making us successful 1984-1993 and 1997 to 2005! I am sure that noone ever thanked you because that's how they treated "talent." I knew radio was truly dead when the great Paul Harvey died (practically on the air) and Shitadel had ZERO CLASS nor EMPATHY and said NOTHING about Paul's passing. NOTHING. No eulogies on air or off!! First, Paul Harvey was right of center, so the New York crowd hated his folksy Conservative opinions. More, they could never appreciate talent because they were so bereft of any talent or skillsets themselves (the suits). These corporate maggots did not understand how one human could speak so trustingly and be loved by so many people. Rant Enough? Anyway, Thank You Monica!!! xoxoxoxoxoxo Rich
p.s. - one more: I have to congratulate all who have survived the gut-wrenching hedge funds, private equity, and others who sucked the life out of local radio (like that fat greaseball Farid Suleman - is he dead yet?), bankrupted Citadel, then came back and rewarded that POS ceo (small caps on the original pig vomit) $50million and each board member $9million - while firing more colleagues ..... Well, that should be enough of a rant to last me another 5 years.

Frosty

Post by Frosty » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:12 pm

Oh, come on, Rich -- you're just getting started! Rant on, my brother. Love it! You're just saying what many of us are thinking.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 pm

So Rich, you’re saying that Randy Stine screwed WMMQ as badly as his brother Scott did to Saginaw’s WHNN? Both stations stink now…

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:22 pm

Monica probably got sick and tired of all the Townsquare BS. SHe probably decided to retire before she got budget cutted (let go).

Sholmes

Post by Sholmes » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:59 pm

This could be an interesting idea. Monica Harris joins the News10 Today team along with her husband as Co anchors

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fairbankshockeypuck

Post by fairbankshockeypuck » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:05 pm

Realist wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 pm
So Rich, you’re saying that Randy Stine screwed WMMQ as badly as his brother Scott did to Saginaw’s WHNN? Both stations stink now…
or was Scott just a puppet or messenger having to order the troops via corporate?

richmichaels

Post by richmichaels » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:52 pm

Frosty wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:12 pm
Oh, come on, Rich -- you're just getting started! Rant on, my brother. Love it! You're just saying what many of us are thinking.
One of the best stories is how we got you from WFMK!!! That was a blast!

richmichaels

Post by richmichaels » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:55 pm

Realist wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 pm
Randy is with MidWest and I hear him on 92.9 - a better version of "Classic Rock." The Classic Hits format was the direction I wanted for 97.5 back in the day. Randy is just a nice guy and is pleasant on the radio. And underpaid.

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:23 am

I've worked with both Randy & Scott many many years ago. They're good guys.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:25 pm

Willie108 wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:23 am
I've worked with both Randy & Scott many many years ago. They're good guys.
Since Scott is the Operations Manager of Cumulus Saginaw, is he the person responsible for the horrible decision to flip WHNN from classic hits to AC?

Willie108

Post by Willie108 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:47 pm

It was Cumulus.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic