Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Q106 interference

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
Mega Hertz

Q106 interference

Post by Mega Hertz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:15 pm

Just saw on FB the following message:

Grand Rapids area listeners! It has come to our attention that a station has gone on the air in the 106.1 frequency and has overstepped its allowed coverage area creating interference with our signal in your area. We've raised a ruckus with the FCC.

Now it's your turn: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/e ... m_id=38844

Fill that out and let's get Q106 back on your radio loud n clear in the Grand Rapids area.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Realist

Re: Q106 interference

Post by Realist » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:05 pm

Don’t blame them - once you start getting towards the Ionia / Kent Co line on I 96, Q106 is gone as it’s heavily interfered with by the Ticket. It’s BS but I’m sure there was some malicious intent on the part of Cumulus to do so as it would cause people to tune into LAV

ftballfan

Post by ftballfan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:20 pm

If they want the sports format on FM, they should get a hold of Goodrich as they have two translators covering pretty much the exact same area. If I were Goodrich, I'd offer Cumulus 95.3.

Grand Rapids has to be the market with the most translators and LPFMs in the country (if not, it's very close):
92.3 - two LPFMs which are short-spaced to each other
92.9 - WFUR (AM) translator
93.3 - WMJH (AM) translator
94.9 - WYGR (AM) translator
95.3 - WPRR (AM) translator
96.5 - WPNW (AM) translator [Zeeland]
97.3 - LPFM
98.3 - WVHF (AM) translator [Allendale, heavily directional and short-spaced to WLCS]
98.9 - WPNW (AM) translator [Holland]
99.5 - WYGR (AM) translator [Lowell]
99.9 - WSLI (FM) translator
100.3 - WION (AM) translator [Lowell]
102.5 - WPRR (AM) translator
103.7 - LPFM
104.9 - WNWZ (AM) translator
106.1 - WJRW (AM) translator

There is no more room for any full-city translators in GR, unless you were to shoehorn a translator on 94.1 (Townsquare tried that and learned the hard way)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 am

Very happy to see Q106 take action on this!!!

The station previously had an OK signal in Gaines, Cascade, Caledonia, Bowne, and Lowell Townships, and even portions of Kentwood. Now, it's predominantly 106.1 The Ticket or a mish-mash in those areas. And, yes, the interference easily extends to the Ionia County border.

I must note - the folks at Q106 need to be aware that FCC action will occur MUCH MORE QUICKLY if their chief engineer collects and verifies listener complaints and forwards them to the FCC directly.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

New rules went into effect yesterday. None of those areas complaints will matter anymore with the exception of much of Ionia County. For example: Ionia, Saranac, Clarksville are protected but Lowell, Alto, and Caldonia are not protected anymore. A rough idea of the line can be found by viewing radio-locator's magenta circle.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:09 pm

Is the 48 dBu contour the cutoff point for valid complaints or is it the 50 dBu?

ByteMe

Post by ByteMe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:25 pm

My understanding is that protection from translators now extends to the 45dBu contour. It's easy to see using the advanced coverage maps at fccdata.org. Lowell, Alto, and Caledonia are all within WJXQ's 45dBu. Is this not correct? If Cumulus wants to be a good neighbor on the frequency, they should their engineer out and drive past the orange circle listening to 106.1. If there's interference to WJXQ within its 45dBu, Cumulus should reduce the power of their translator and file an STA with the FCC.

It's also possible for the FCC to look into interference beyond a station's 45dBu contour. Per FCC:

44. Waiver requests. We will consider requests for waiver of the 45 dBu contour limit where the requestor demonstrates the existence of a sizable community of listeners outside the 45 dBu contour limit. We recognize that in certain circumstances a radio station may serve a community outside its 45 dBu contour with programming that by its nature attracts “determined listeners”—listeners who may tolerate poor reception (or purchase a higher quality antenna) to receive the desired station.165 Although often formats are duplicated in different markets,166 there is nonetheless evidence on the record that, in some markets, listeners may rely on programming that is not available locally.167 We are persuaded by comments advocating a high burden of proof of listenership outside the 45 dBu contour that such requests must include at least 20 complaints from listeners outside the 45 dBu contour of the desired station in lieu of—or, optionally, in addition to—the required number of complaints within the 45 dBu contour.168 We will also take into account other relevant factors such as: (1) whether geographic features or power/directionality enhance reception at the relevant listener locations (supported if possible by field strength testing); and (2) how established the listener expectation of service is—i.e., how long the desired station has served the relevant communit(ies). As with all waivers, each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must demonstrate special circumstances.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:50 pm

45 dBu.

I mistakenly had drawn a 48.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 pm

I don't really have a dog in the fight since I'm on the Eastern fringe of the service area. My signal here is damn near perfect, even with WDMK right next door. I had no idea anything like this was happening on the other side.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Yes, and you have to wonder why Clear Channel, which changes its name more than some people change underclothes, let the owners of WDTW 1310 put a translator on their WNIC tower on 107.9, which intereferes with WCRZ, which repeatedly shaved 0.1 to 0.3 points off WNIC's ratings over the years, and interferes with WCRZ well within their 45 dBu contour, and interferes with it over a large part of their service area. I hope somebody looks closely at the that translator's power level and modulation level to see if it's within its licensed legal parameters.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:49 pm

As I stated during the 94.5 MHz interference debacle, engineers employed or engaged by fully licensed stations need to collect & submit complaints of interference to the FCC. The FCC will not act on complaints submitted to the agency directly by consumers!

I confirmed the above by attempting to submit a complaint directly using the form provided on Q106's Facebook page.

The FCC, to its credit, replied within 48 hours of my submission and provided the following informative response:
Re: Destructive interference to 106.1 WJXQ ("Q106") from Grand Rapids co-channel translator

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your submission. Your complaint provides the FCC with important information we can use to develop policies to protect consumers, remedy violations of the Communications Act, and encourage future compliance with the law.

In the license application process, there are very strict engineering studies required before a station can be licensed and begin broadcasting. The studies are designed to prevent interference. In those rare instances when a problem might occur, the station(s) experiencing the problem can often work a cooperative solution. Conditions of non-reception, poor reception, and/or electrical interference to radio/TV sets do not generally indicate an FCC rule violation and the FCC will not investigate these conditions. If you believe a licensed broadcast station's signal is experiencing interference, you may consider contacting the affected station.

If the station operator believes an interference condition exists, the operator may contact the FCC. The FCC will investigate interference complaints SUBMITTED BY BROADCASTERS.

As such, no further action is required by the FCC. Your complaint was closed as of today.
So, there ya have it.

If you are a listener of Q106 and submit your complaint directly to the FCC - you are wasting your time!!!

Reaching out to Q106's management and providing a reception interference report would be much more productive! The station can then use this information in filing of a formal motion with the FCC.

CK-722

Post by CK-722 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 pm

If any of you have FIM meters or spectrum analyzers that show quantified interference of translators to stations, or evidence of illegal operation of such, I think the FCC would have to act on that information. That would be more than a listener complaint. A broadcaster or engineer would have more standing, but anyone should be able to submit such a complaint if they have technical evidence demonstrating such interference or unauthorized operation. I think the FCC has opened a can of worms here.

Is THAT where they got the idea for the 486-SX?

Same (x, y, z), different (t)

Your bullet missed my trial balloon.

RTN Price. Not guaranteed. As of 12:30, 157.71 Down 0.22.

Artificial Intelligence is a Child that needs a Parent to guide it through.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:13 am

The response I received is consistent with my longtime understanding of how interference complaints to the FCC must be made.

All of this was well documented during the 104.7 WIOT / Smooth Jazz 104.7 saga years ago.

fuzzpower

Post by fuzzpower » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:17 pm

You would be surprised how far east the signal goes. I was getting good reception in western Ann Arbor, even with 105.9 not too far away.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:49 pm

105.9 is directional from the Oak Park tower. It pulls in to the West.

https://www.fccdata.org/?lang=en&facid= ... =70404&i=2

It's about 45% of maximum power to the West.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic