Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Listeners are abandoning local radio in droves in the Lansing market

Discussion pertaining to Lansing, Jackson, Owosso, and all areas from Alma to Hillsdale
ftballfan

Re: Listeners are abandoning local radio in droves in the Lansing market

Post by ftballfan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:22 pm

fairbankshockeypuck wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:11 am
What, if any stations air the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings and Pistons in Lansing area??? It is a Michigan State town...
Tigers (2019): 1240 WJIM (Lansing), 1450 WIBM/101.9 W270CJ (Jackson), 104.9 WQBX (Alma)
Lions (2019): 1240 WJIM (Lansing), 1450 WIBM/101.9 W270CJ (Jackson), 1280 WFYC (Alma)
Red Wings (2018-19): 730 WVFN (Lansing), 970 WKHM (Jackson)
Pistons (2018-19): 1450 WIBM/101.9 W270CJ (Jackson) [no affiliate in Lansing; the Pistons have by far the weakest radio network of Big Six (Big Four pro sports + UM and MSU) sports teams]

CurlyHoward

Post by CurlyHoward » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Odd how it works. Toledo's had the Pistons on WCWA for a few years but not the Wings. For a long time the situation was reversed.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Glad to see Fuel FM tearing up the airwaves..

Calvert DeForest

Post by Calvert DeForest » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:35 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:27 pm
Unlike when it first signed on, Duke's playlist maybe 12 to 18 months ago became more heavily centered on 90's era Country, and the ratings have responded favorably. I said at the start that the 90's should be the decade receiving greatest airplay.
There's just something about that era. Country music underwent a metamorphosis in the 90's. It had an updated, faster-paced sound than in previous decades, yet it was distinctly Country. Modern Country sounds closer to mainstream AC. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two genres.

I blame American Idol. :(

Shortwave is the ORIGINAL satellite radio.

Deleted User 12047

Post by Deleted User 12047 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:15 am

Calvert DeForest wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:35 am
MWmetalhead wrote:
Unlike when it first signed on, Duke's playlist maybe 12 to 18 months ago became more heavily centered on 90's era Country, and the ratings have responded favorably. I said at the start that the 90's should be the decade receiving greatest airplay.
There's just something about that era. Country music underwent a metamorphosis in the 90's. It had an updated, faster-paced sound than in previous decades, yet it was distinctly Country. Modern Country sounds closer to mainstream AC. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between the two genres.

I blame rap... Country is now a bigger seller than a lot of other genres, and have found it's way into mainstream music. I'm constantly amazed at the number of 30 something women who listen to country as pop music.

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:19 pm

You mentioned WVFN. They are one of the rare stations in this day and age that understands how to do LOCAL radio. They have many hours of sports talk radio with local hosts that people know (Tim Staudt, Mad Dog Demarco and Will Tieman). They take phone calls from listeners (what a concept). They cover high school, college and pro teams that many people follow. Yes, they have some syndicated shows from CBS sports radio, but I think the local programming is what sets them apart. It's radio the old fashioned way, not just airing generic crap from a satellite feed.

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 pm
https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb195

Look at these numbers. WOW.

Q106 just posted its worst book in over two decades' time. No wonder the playlist underwent a drastic shift in recent weeks!! WMMQ, meanwhile, recorded a very strong book.

The other big surprises:
- Terrible ratings for 90.5 WKAR-FM. A 2.9 share., with what are most likely extremely old demos. Michigan State needs to take a hard look at retooling WKAR-FM if this trend continues.
- A big dip for 97.5 Now FM. Their 6.5 share in ages 12+ is unusually low.

Unless a bunch of people are abandoning stations listed here for 96.5, 101.7, AM 1320, out of market signals, or unlisted non-comms, chances are high that Sirius XM , Spotify, Pandora, Podcast, and internet radio listening is at or near an all time high.

Another thing that caught my eye: the 1.6 share for AM 730 WVFN. That is a perfectly decent showing for such a limited signal. They are clearly benefiting from the demise of 107.3 WBBL and 92.1 The Team.

The stations listed in the published results represent less than 60 percent of total listening!!!

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 pm

The 1990s were a great period for country, with stars like Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Sammy Kershaw, Joe Diffie, Garth Brooks, etc. Today's country sounds awful in comparison. Current country is just pop music with a fiddle or a steel guitar added, then it is branded as country.

Calvert DeForest wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

Chris1980

Post by Chris1980 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:08 pm

high fidelity wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:25 pm
The 1990s were a great period for country, with stars like Travis Tritt, Alan Jackson, Sammy Kershaw, Joe Diffie, Garth Brooks, etc. Today's country sounds awful in comparison. Current country is just pop music with a fiddle or a steel guitar added, then it is branded as country.

Calvert DeForest wrote:
MWmetalhead wrote:

It seems to me as though "country" radio has become the home for wannabe pop artists who are only using their country success as a stepping stone to a possible pop career. We saw the latter with Taylor Swift and we're seeing it again as Dan & Shay, Thomas Rhett, Kane Brown, Maren Morris and Kelsea Ballerini send singles to pop stations. Even pop artists themselves are doing it (witness Bebe Rexha, who was a nobody prior to "Meant to Be" and without riding Florida-Georgia Line's coattails is once again a nobody). Many don't include even token "country" instrumentation on their work. Morris had potential when she first came out with "My Church." Now I can't tell the difference between her and Halsey, Alessia Cara, Dua Lipa or whatever other flavor-of-the-month pop starlet is burning up the CHR or Hot AC airwaves. Much of what many of us would consider closest to traditional country is lumped into the Americana genre these days.

It'll be interesting to see if the Ken Burns documentary creates a resurgence of interest in traditional country music. Some may recall that back when "The Civil War" came out back in the early '90s, its theme song, "Ashokan Farewell," got some airtime on country radio.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic