Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 26 at 9:00p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WJRT Changes

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
whitebalance

Re: WJRT Changes

Post by whitebalance » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:40 am

Through the years, I have seen a number of anchors and reporters who never improve. Do stations ever coach and work with them to get better?
Kent should be getting better. Dawn Jones needs to be more enthusiastic. She comes across bored and tired. Now, she shows lots of life doing the Crim with Terry. She needs to channel that energy to the news desk.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:58 pm

From my time in Flint, the answer is “ no” — news directors in Flint don’t coach up their staff. You are more likely to find that in smaller markets. But Sean, Jayne, and Karin (and their predecessors) either don’t care or don’t put any substantial time toward coaching, feedback, show/story reviews. I guess they just assume that if you’ve “made it” to market 74, you should know the job.

nonewsgoodnews

Post by nonewsgoodnews » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:51 pm

They should still be coaching but yeah I don't think alot of coaching is happening anywhere anymore. Mostly, because there isn't enough staff to get the job done.
Curious to see how things will shake up at WNEM with the so called investigation into the ND there. Jayne shouldnt't been given another chance. From what I hear she is a bully, gossips and if you don't gossip she is mean to you. WJRT has good content and could keep up with 5 that way. Alyssa still there best reporter and should be promoted into anchoring and take Dawn's place. Dawn is terrible.

TheWayItIs

Post by TheWayItIs » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:55 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:49 pm
That’s not the reporters’ fault. Station managers, news directors, HR directors can hold the line on quality and experience… and pay better to get and keep veteran reporters. They choose not to. They choose to lower the bar. Don’t blame the reporter if you’re unhappy with the low standards at local stations. Blame the station and corporate managers.

THIS. 💯💯💯

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:19 am

Jayne will either find a way to keep her job or land someplace else— the problem is no one wants the news director job anymore. It’s all about cost control, managing HR issues, deflecting endless sales related requests from the GM, and on and on and on. The News Director doesn’t really focus on daily newscasts anymore. There’s little concern for quality. It’s all about doing more with less. Find me a news director that actually cares about people and the journalism (and wants to live and work in Flint/Saginaw) and I’d be glad to eat my words.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic