Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Local news expansion

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Re: Local news expansion

Post by sinklair » Wed May 10, 2023 6:49 am

I agree that channel identification is more of a branding issue than informative about how to watch local stations. There’s a reason why WNEM 5 and ABC12 still use call letters/network affiliation and their former channel number. But as OTA channels, cable and satellite service numbers all are different, it really is more about legacy viewing.

When WEYI NBC25 and WSMH FOX66 shedded its branding for Mid-Michigan NOW, the Corporate Death Star, egomaniac/former GM, and his lackey the Promotion Director all said NBC25 and FOX66’s News positioning was “damaged goods” and that a complete rebranding toward a 24-7 digital product was the answer toward growing its audience. Well, you’ve seen how that all worked out.

The joke about how meteorologists can be wrong all the time and keep their jobs applies to station promotion and branding “experts”.

organman95

Re: Local news expansion

Post by organman95 » Sun May 21, 2023 11:20 pm

MWmetalhead wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:44 am
Many people who watch local news have been watching the same station for news for 30 or 40 years.

In terms of OTA PSIP channel identification, the physical RF channel or former analog channel can be used.

In terms of channel number references used in video graphics and on-air branding produced by the TV station, there is little limitation aside from trademark rules. WNEM obviously cannot call itself "TV 12," but otherwise stations are free to brand as they wish.

For example, in West Michigan, WOTV calls itself "My ABC 4," even though their RF channel is 17 or 20 (I cannot remember which) and the PSIP virtual channel is 41.
Because WOTV is on Channel 4 on (I believe) all cable systems in the Grand Rapids-Battle Creek DMA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic