Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

MAB Awards

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

MAB Awards

Post by sinklair » Mon May 01, 2023 4:53 am

There used to be a time when the Flint stations could compete with Grand Rapids. No longer.

It was an embarrassing weekend for 12, 5, and 25-66 who for the most part were shutout in the annual Broadcast Excellence Awards put on by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters.

Meg and David had a couple of nominations. 12’s 6pm producer was runner up in the best newscast category. 25-66 had nothing nominated… which seems right since they no longer have locally produced newscasts.

https://www.michiganmedia.com/broadcast ... ce-awards/

But any thoughts by journalists that you’ll ever be able to compete with the big boys in quality journalism? Look elsewhere than the Flint market.

OnTopic

Re: MAB Awards

Post by OnTopic » Mon May 01, 2023 11:50 am

A journalist must also submit work to be considered. This may not be a matter of competing, but of journalists just not submitting any work. Same situation as with the EMMY awards. If you do not send in work, then you cannot be considered for an award.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon May 01, 2023 7:50 pm

I can’t speak for the other two stations, but at 25-66, they used to pay for any submission that won an award or was nominated.

So either there wasn’t any quality journalism done under Karen/Neille… or the cheap a** station refused to support underpaid journalists.

Either way it looks extremely bad for Sinclair.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed May 03, 2023 1:27 am

MAB I pay to get the award and flexing which Dave loves to flex with his awards along with that ugly sweater LMAO.
Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed May 03, 2023 1:43 pm

I’m told that NONE of the local news directors bothered to show up. Pretty sad state of affairs when even GMs and news directors don’t support the state’s broadcasters association. No wonder why this industry is in the sad state it’s in. It starts at the top.

Be better Ken, Jayne, Karin, Brock and Sean.

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Wed May 03, 2023 3:59 pm

sinklair wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 1:43 pm
I’m told that NONE of the local news directors bothered to show up. Pretty sad state of affairs when even GMs and news directors don’t support the state’s broadcasters association. No wonder why this industry is in the sad state it’s in. It starts at the top.

Be better Ken, Jayne, Karin, Brock and Sean.
When you have to pay and submit your own work it really kind of takes the importance of the award away.
These mean nothing, just like the Emmy's for local news. Wow! Look at the trophy I bought.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed May 03, 2023 7:32 pm

You missed the whole point… not a surprise for you, Soundchaser.

When the heads of local TV stations and their news divisions can’t even be bothered to show up to an event put on by the state broadcasters association celebrating quality work, that’s f’ed up. Just an indication of how seriously any of them truly care about the profession.

I do agree with you on having to pay for entries. If you truly want the awards to mean something, encourage entries from all stations with no fees attached to truly get the best of the best… not just the best of whoever is paying the entry fees. (It won’t happen, but it would be an improvement.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic