Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Gone after 24 years

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Gone after 24 years

Post by sinklair » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:12 am

One of the best directors in Flint is now leaving 25-66. Craig Beechler directed weekday evening shows for 24 years at WEYI & WSMH.

Says a lot when a guy who has literally made a career here, set up roots here, says it’s no longer worth it. He’s got a great gig lined up in Detroit.

We will miss you, Craig. A great Director and even better man.

NoozDude

Re: Gone after 24 years

Post by NoozDude » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:01 pm

He was one of the best I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. Sink’s correct in saying he is a “great director and even better man.” To this very day, he saved countless newscasts on Willard and Pierson Roads, without drama or need for self-praise or recognition, from sure disaster. He will be missed. All the best to him on his next chapter.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 pm

Not to rain on your Parade, but moving from Flint to Detroit seems like a career move. I mean: it's Flint

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:15 pm

TC Talks wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:23 pm
Not to rain on your Parade, but moving from Flint to Detroit seems like a career move. I mean: it's Flint
Truth bomb.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:54 am

Truth bomb.. not everyone wants to go to Detroit. Especially after 24 years at one place. If 25-66 wasn’t the dumpster fire that it is, one has to wonder if Craig would finish out his career here. Regardless, Flint’s loss is Detroit’s gain. Best of luck Craig!

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:47 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:54 am
Truth bomb.. not everyone wants to go to Detroit. Especially after 24 years at one place. If 25-66 wasn’t the dumpster fire that it is, one has to wonder if Craig would finish out his career here. Regardless, Flint’s loss is Detroit’s gain. Best of luck Craig!
Flint is a shithole. It is not a terminal market.

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:05 am

That’s YOUR opinion. I happen to agree with it, which is why I chose to get out of it.

However it is sad that someone who would want to make a career in Flint feels he can no longer do so…

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 am

Craig is awesome! The technical evolution of this industry has been moving at light speed and Craig has moved right along with it. He trained me in my first full-time director gig and we spent countless hours in the control room together. On top of being a talented and brilliant director, he’s a really good dude. He comes original and the force will be with him… always.

Now that that is out of the way, here we go again discussing the personal career moves of private individuals on a public forum.

Does Craig know you’re telling a bunch of strangers on the internet that he’s changing jobs?

jmeltonwx

Post by jmeltonwx » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:24 am

Herm wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:58 am
Craig is awesome! The technical evolution of this industry has been moving at light speed and Craig has moved right along with it. He trained me in my first full-time director gig and we spent countless hours in the control room together. On top of being a talented and brilliant director, he’s a really good dude. He comes original and the force will be with him… always.

Now that that is out of the way, here we go again discussing the personal career moves of private individuals on a public forum.

Does Craig know you’re telling a bunch of strangers on the internet that he’s changing jobs?
I'm sure he does, considering Dave Bondy put it on social media...

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:24 am

The selective outrage from Herm is amazing…

First he’ll comment on how great a guy Craig is (which mirrors my original post BTW).

Then he’ll do his Dr. Jeckell-Mr. Hyde impersonation to go out of his way to criticize me for what he literally did seconds ago.

Herm believes people behind the camera in a newsroom are off limits to discuss, despite the fact he (a director) posts all the time in the same Buzzboard discussing life in local TV.

And Herm seems to be more concerned about me congratulating Craig in a website that caters to the same 7 people… as opposed to criticizing Dave Bondy on his professional Facebook page which reaches more than 127,000 people across the country.

Stop being a hypocrite Herm. Stop making it all about you. If Craig has a problem with people wishing him well in his next gig, I’m sure he would have told colleagues at 25-66 to not mention it on air, online, and in the words of Will Smith to keep his f’n name out of your f’n mouth.

Instead, I’m going to keep congratulating Craig… and keep criticizing 25-66 management for not realizing what a gem of a man they had guiding their local newscasts. He’s saved more young producers and more newscasts than be be counted. He’s a gentle soul in a sometimes callous business. And Craig deserves every kudos coming to him. I’m just sorry that due to the ineptness of local station management he is leaving for what I hope will be an even better opportunity with hopefully a lot less bullsh*t.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:25 am

I know some people from Flint who moved to San Francisco in the 1970s, and bought an old fixer upper Victorian Mansion when it was cheap. It was worth $3,000,000 before the prices fell. They had to come back to Flint, to their childhood home, to handle elder care issues. It's 5000 square feet, in one of the best subs in the City of Flint (yes, they do exist), but is worth $170,000 to $300,000 depending on which real estate site you believe. From what I gather, Flint was looking pretty good, compared to now poopy San Francisco with its migrant and homeless and crime problems. Seems like every larger city has become a poophole.

I have to laugh when going from Flint to Detroit looks like up to some of you. It may be a better opportunity in a larger market leaving Sinclair, but the city problems are the same. You can run from Flint, but you can't hide from the problems in practically every city nationwide now. Flint was just the canary in the coal mine.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:55 am

Flint has a pretty high homelessness per capita number. Why does homelessness bother you more than say homicide, which is also very high.

I agree with you that neither Flint nor Detroit are a prize destination.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:30 am

TC Talks wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:55 am
Flint has a pretty high homelessness per capita number. Why does homelessness bother you more than say homicide, which is also very high.

I agree with you that neither Flint nor Detroit are a prize destination.
I guess I just lumped homicide with other crime. And in no particular order.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:42 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:12 am
One of the best directors in Flint is now leaving 25-66. Craig Beechler directed weekday evening shows for 24 years at WEYI & WSMH.

Says a lot when a guy who has literally made a career here, set up roots here, says it’s no longer worth it. He’s got a great gig lined up in Detroit.

What it says is, he probably doubled his salary by going to Detroit.
I don't really think it is any reflection on the station he is leaving except for the fact they can't pay a Detroit salary. 5 and 12 can't do it either. From what I understand 12 is systematically removing all the old growth trees working there (Stink, that means long term employees). Stink, I know you want to blame everything on your old station, but the truth is, Flint can't compete with Detroit. Never could, never will.

Good luck Craig!

Herm

Post by Herm » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:02 pm

sinklair wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:24 am
The selective outrage from Herm is amazing…

First he’ll comment on how great a guy Craig is (which mirrors my original post BTW).

Then he’ll do his Dr. Jeckell-Mr. Hyde impersonation to go out of his way to criticize me for what he literally did seconds ago.

Herm believes people behind the camera in a newsroom are off limits to discuss, despite the fact he (a director) posts all the time in the same Buzzboard discussing life in local TV.

And Herm seems to be more concerned about me congratulating Craig in a website that caters to the same 7 people… as opposed to criticizing Dave Bondy on his professional Facebook page which reaches more than 127,000 people across the country.

Stop being a hypocrite Herm. Stop making it all about you. If Craig has a problem with people wishing him well in his next gig, I’m sure he would have told colleagues at 25-66 to not mention it on air, online, and in the words of Will Smith to keep his f’n name out of your f’n mouth.

Instead, I’m going to keep congratulating Craig… and keep criticizing 25-66 management for not realizing what a gem of a man they had guiding their local newscasts. He’s saved more young producers and more newscasts than be be counted. He’s a gentle soul in a sometimes callous business. And Craig deserves every kudos coming to him. I’m just sorry that due to the ineptness of local station management he is leaving for what I hope will be an even better opportunity with hopefully a lot less bullsh*t.
I do believe that the behind the scenes employees deserve a certain level of anonymity. I understand that you don’t feel the same way. Agree to disagree.
Paying someone a compliment based on first hand experiences is not the same as discussing career moves. That should be obvious.
Discussing the news and newsrooms is different than discussing people’s personal lives. This should also be obvious.
We are not the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic