Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Michigan viewers cancel cable TV in record numbers in 2022, report shows

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Martin Stett

Michigan viewers cancel cable TV in record numbers in 2022, report shows

Post by Martin Stett » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:18 am

The number of households breaking away from cable television in Michigan accelerated in 2022, with over 151,000 households dropping the service, a 9 percent drop, the biggest one-year decline.
According to an annual report issued last week by the Michigan Public Service Commission, there are now roughly 1.5 million cable subscribers statewide, down nearly 900,000 since 2009, or 37.5 percent of all households.
The peak of cable TV in Michigan was 2009, when over 2,365,000 households subscribed, or 62 percent of all households. That number held relatively flat until 2016 as people turned to streaming services and satellite providers.
https://www.bridgemi.com/business-watch ... port-shows

Good news for OTA?

Plate Cap

Re: Michigan viewers cancel cable TV in record numbers in 2022, report shows

Post by Plate Cap » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:04 am

The cable industry saw it coming a long time ago, and kept raising internet pricing. It's hard to find for $50 a month, and most are $80. A lot of people pay more for higher speeds they probably don't need.

The result is the same gross revenue as cable used to get before there was a high internet demand, plus no fees to program providers. Ka-ching. A big win for them.

We have many more options for things to view, but between the cost of the base internet and the various streaming services, we are paying more than we used to.

OTA will have a short day in the sun, but it's still expensive to throw a 30 or 40 mile radius of coverage to deliver a few channels. It's not a healthy industry.

The box that many broadcasters won’t look outside of was made in 1969 and hasn’t changed significantly since.

Taco

Post by Taco » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:29 pm

Not really surprising in today's economic climate. Not only are there alternatives such as streaming, but also I'm sure people are cutting the cord to make ends meet.

Woe to you, oh earth and sea
For the Devil sends the beast with wrath
Because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
For it is a human number
Its number is six hundred and sixty-six

high fidelity

Post by high fidelity » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:51 pm

I like cable since I enjoy having lots of channels available, on demand shows, DVR, and my provider (Comcast), throws in some extra apps like Peacock, Tubi, games, and Pluto TV. But, it is expensive.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:55 pm

Isn't worth it. For the amount of channels one actually watches, it isn't worth it. And with all the streaming services, you might as well pay the $70 for internet only.

TC Talks

Post by TC Talks » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:52 pm

I left cable in 2007. I occasionally catch it while staying at a hotel, it looks like I made a great decision.

“The more you can increase fear of drugs, crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all of the people.”
― Noam Chomsky

Posting Content © 2024 TC Talks Holdings LP.

Realist

Post by Realist » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:14 pm

I watch way too much Detroit sports (primarily the Tigers, occasionally the Wings) to ever cancel DirecTV

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:37 pm

Streaming has become more fragmented, and people are getting more frustrated with seeing their favorite content removed from respective platforms.

People want the convenience of having what they need in one place. I wouldn't be surprised if cable subscriber numbers start to tick upward in the next couple years.

What I don't understand is why people subscribe to multiple services at a time. They're wasting as much money as they did on cable. Why not sub to one service for a month, watch what you want there, then pause and sub to another servce the next month?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic