Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Ron Hilliard exits Pierson Rd

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Soundchaser

Re: Ron Hilliard exits Pierson Rd

Post by Soundchaser » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:25 pm

sinklair wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:42 pm
Soundchaser: nice try. You “conveniently” ignored that much smaller markets like Lansing and Traverse City have much less turnover than 25-66.

Here’s that information since you have a hard time staying on topic…

“Smaller markets like Lansing and Traverse City have veteran metrologists who have been forecasting at the stations for DECADES. It’s not rocket science. You just have to be willing to pay to keep veteran talent like Andy Provenzano and Darin Rockcole at WILX, David Young and Jim Geyer at WLNS, Joe Charlevoix at WPBN, Tom O’Hare at 9&10 News.”
Stink! I'm proud of you! You compiled the useless information above all by youself! Nice!

You're not the only one here with a voice, and when you use this 'staying on topic" bullshit it makes you sound foolish.

Most, if not all of the meteorologists (correct spelling) from your old station left and went to bigger markets, for more money. Logical moves. They had got to a point in their careers where they were able to command more money. If these other guys you mentioned are stuck in Lansing or Traverse City maybe they can't get out. Maybe any move would be lateral, or maybe they really like where they are.

Who the fuck knows?

Certainly not you.

12 lost 2 decent meteorologists recently. Why didn't 12 pony up to keep them? Most likely because they couldn't or wouldn't compete salary wise. They can't compete with Detroit and markets like it.

While it is hard to keep good people in this market it gets back to the root of the problem. This has become a start up market.

ShempLives

Post by ShempLives » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:07 am

Jennifer Valoppi is an example of a weather-person from WEYI going on to a larger marker. (I don't believe she qualified as a "meteorologist.") Despite what the Wikipedia entry states, she was at WEYI as early as 1980 - I was there.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Valoppi

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:10 am

Soundchaser: the 2 decent meteorologists you mention… Colton Cichoracki and Brad Sugden both left for WILX and WSYM in LANSING. A smaller market that ponied up more money than Flint. Your argument is illogical at best.

12, 25-66, and 5 all can and should do better when it comes to paying its people better. It’s a choice. Kind of like your choice of ignoring the facts before you.

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:28 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:10 am
Soundchaser: the 2 decent meteorologists you mention… Colton Cichoracki and Brad Sugden both left for WILX and WSYM in LANSING. A smaller market that ponied up more money than Flint. Your argument is illogical at best.

12, 25-66, and 5 all can and should do better when it comes to paying its people better. It’s a choice. Kind of like your choice of ignoring the facts before you.
Yes Stink, I know they are in Lansing. What difference does it make where they went? The point you can't seem to grasp is that THIS MARKET DOES NOT PAY. And by the way. Money is not the only reason peole leave. Work/living enviorment, schedules and an assorted number of other factors come into play when you make a decision to leave for another job.

If you look at Lansing stations they are stacked with people much like the number of employees 12 use to have.
Sometimes you just want to work in a community that is doing well and not have to worry when the next round of cuts are comming.

As far as 12 goes, it was once a place where careers could be made. Now it's just a stepping stone, as are the rest of this market's stations.

Lightning from the TV Gods is not is not going to stike this market and make it all better.

There are plenty of jobs around here. If you're looking to get you feet wet in the broadcsting business this is the area to do it.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:59 am

Keep up soundchaser, I’m not coming back to broadcasting. Been there, done that, have seen the light that there are better managers outside of Flint TV stations.

12 stopped being a place where careers were made more than a decade ago. It coincided when GM Tom Bryson left and News Director Jim Bleicher was fired by SJL. Good managers replaced by Pete Veto, a notoriously bad manager, who made lots of really bad cuts (Harris, Feick, among others) and ran the station morale into the ground. It’s never recovered. Byron Allennis not making it better. It is no longer a place where people want to stay. Not because it’s a start up market. People don’t want to stay because it’s a bad station run by bad managers with no apparent plan to change or improve.

I’d encourage others to stay away from Flint TV as well. If you want to “get your feet wet” as you call it, go to better run and better paid stations like Lansing or Traverse City. Maybe one day Flint stations will get their sh*t together, but today is not that day.

And here’s a point that we both agree upon… there are many reasons why people leave a station… work environment, station culture, work scheduling, etc. Those are all areas that management have control at the station level. Which gets back to my point: if you have good managers, you can retain good talent. If you have bad managers, you have the loss of good people that you’re seeing at 25-66, 5, and 12.

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:20 am

sinklair wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:59 am
Stink- "Keep up soundchaser, I’m not coming back to broadcasting. Been there, done that, have seen the light that there are better managers outside of Flint TV stations."

I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to young people that want to get into broadcasting.
Once again, you make it about you.

Stink- "12 stopped being a place where careers were made more than a decade ago. It coincided when GM Tom Bryson left and News Director Jim Bleicher was fired by SJL. Good managers replaced by Pete Veto, a notoriously bad manager, who made lots of really bad cuts (Harris, Feick, among others) and ran the station morale into the ground. It’s never recovered. Byron Allennis not making it better. It is no longer a place where people want to stay. Not because it’s a start up market. People don’t want to stay because it’s a bad station run by bad managers with no apparent plan to change or improve."

Very ooooolllllddd history here. I think we all know what happend, yet you have to keep puking out the same thing over and over again.
Thanks for proving my point!

Stink- "I’d encourage others to stay away from Flint TV as well. If you want to “get your feet wet” as you call it, go to better run and better paid stations like Lansing or Traverse City. Maybe one day Flint stations will get their sh*t together, but today is not that day."

I think when you are looking for or need a job you go to where they are hiring. Depending on your level of experience dictates the offer you accept.

Stink- "And here’s a point that we both agree upon… there are many reasons why people leave a station… work environment, station culture, work scheduling, etc. Those are all areas that management have control at the station level. Which gets back to my point: if you have good managers, you can retain good talent. If you have bad managers, you have the loss of good people that you’re seeing at 25-66, 5, and 12."

Good managers are nice to have, but you think that they can save the world. The reason you have high turnover is because most people out grow the enviroment. If you're only in the business for money then you probably made a bad career choice getting into broadcasting. There are a lot more people making less than more. And that's not just in this market.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:03 am

I thought Gray made TV12 a better workplace once they bought it from SJL.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

Soundchaser

Post by Soundchaser » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:00 pm

MasterB wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:03 am
I thought Gray made TV12 a better workplace once they bought it from SJL.
You must not have worked there. Working for Gray was not that much different than working for SJL. Same lousy local management. People were looking to jump at any oppourtunity then, and still are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic