Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Fan Boy Custer

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Rate This

Re: Fan Boy Custer

Post by Rate This » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:34 pm

ng040 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:33 pm
He's be an asshole even if he wasn't a faggot.
Are you trying to set a land speed record for getting banned?

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:28 pm

The one thing that always stuck out to me about Custer, more than his terrible holiday sweaters or conflict-of-interest station coverage of his salon, was the commercial that aired in spring 2020 when covid lockdowns started.

The other WNEM anchors filmed brief videos of themselves talking in their cars or at their desks. The videos were selfie-quality, done on a whim. They talked about the difficulties of being separated from loved ones and tried to convey a sense of empathy for people who were less fortunate and hit harder by lockdowns.

Custer's video was a perfectly framed shot of the inside of his house with him holding a dog and tacky red telephone booth behind him. It was a rather humorous indicator of his vainglorious, narcissistic qualities. For a video that was meant to say, "We're in this together," Custer had obviously missed the point.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:51 am

tmurphy90 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:28 pm
The one thing that always stuck out to me about Custer, more than his terrible holiday sweaters or conflict-of-interest station coverage of his salon, was the commercial that aired in spring 2020 when covid lockdowns started.

The other WNEM anchors filmed brief videos of themselves talking in their cars or at their desks. The videos were selfie-quality, done on a whim. They talked about the difficulties of being separated from loved ones and tried to convey a sense of empathy for people who were less fortunate and hit harder by lockdowns.

Custer's video was a perfectly framed shot of the inside of his house with him holding a dog and tacky red telephone booth behind him. It was a rather humorous indicator of his vainglorious, narcissistic qualities. For a video that was meant to say, "We're in this together," Custer had obviously missed the point.
Decorations in someone’s home indicate narcissism now? Boy some of you need a hobby.

Also, how do you know David wasn’t told to shoot in his home? You do realize these things are planned by production departments, right?

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:54 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:51 am
tmurphy90 wrote:

Decorations in someone’s home indicate narcissism now? Boy some of you need a hobby.

Also, how do you know David wasn’t told to shoot in his home? You do realize these things are planned by production departments, right?
:roll:
I didn't say having decorations makes him a narcissist. I said that the elaborately staged clip with Custer holding his doggo among his tacky decorations was a stark contrast to all the other anchors who basically recorded potato-quality selfie videos with their phones sitting in their cars or against a wall. Instead of creating a simple video message like his coworkers did, Custer couldn't resist the urge to indulge his vanity.

The commercial aired constantly for a couple months in spring 2020. If you don't remember it then you won't understand. Then again you probably wouldn't understand anyway, as my post criticizing Custer seemed to really upset you.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:13 pm

Doesn't generally working in the media require some form of egotism anyway?

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am

tmurphy90 wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:54 pm
BehindTheScenes wrote:
tmurphy90 wrote:

I didn't say having decorations makes him a narcissist. I said that the elaborately staged clip with Custer holding his doggo among his tacky decorations was a stark contrast to all the other anchors who basically recorded potato-quality selfie videos with their phones sitting in their cars or against a wall. Instead of creating a simple video message like his coworkers did, Custer couldn't resist the urge to indulge his vanity.

The commercial aired constantly for a couple months in spring 2020. If you don't remember it then you won't understand. Then again you probably wouldn't understand anyway, as my post criticizing Custer seemed to really upset you.
What if I told you Frank Turner shot his in his Cadillac Escalade? Would you criticize that? I wouldn’t because I’m not a moron and realize people have nice cars. Doesn’t make them any less sympathetic in a pandemic.

And how dare Custer have the nerve to make something look nice, right? And a good chance the Wnem creative service department told him what they wanted.

This coming from the same board who criticize things that look like garbage.

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am
tmurphy90 wrote:
BehindTheScenes wrote:
tmurphy90 wrote:

What if I told you Frank Turner shot his in his Cadillac Escalade? Would you criticize that? I wouldn’t because I’m not a moron and realize people have nice cars. Doesn’t make them any less sympathetic in a pandemic.

And how dare Custer have the nerve to make something look nice, right? And a good chance the Wnem creative service department told him what they wanted.

If Frank Turner shot his video standing in front of his Escalade with a gold chain around his neck and cigar in his mouth you might have a point, but he didn't so you don't. Frank's video was a low-quality vertical selfie sitting inside his car IIRC. Being an angry Custer fanboy doesn't change that.

LOL why would management tell Custer to film his 10-second video like that and tell the rest of the employees to film potato quality videos? They were told to make short videos talking about how the pandemic affects people and how "we're in this together". Custer's narcissism demanded that he go above and beyond to flaunt his terribly decorated home and his little doggy. I think he was even standing there with one leg raised on a stool or something. A perfectly framed shot for a vainglorious egomaniac.
BehindTheScenes wrote:
I’m not a moron
(citation needed)

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:00 pm

Vainglorious egomaniac?

Perfect description of David.

Wish he’d move on from TV5. I wonder if reports of his ego have prevented him from making the jump to the Detroit market.

Luke

Post by Luke » Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:08 pm

Realist wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:00 pm
Vainglorious egomaniac?

Perfect description of David.

Wish he’d move on from TV5. I wonder if reports of his ego have prevented him from making the jump to the Detroit market.
I think lack of talent is preventing him from making the jump to the Detroit market.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:07 am

tmurphy90 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 pm
BehindTheScenes wrote:
tmurphy90 wrote:
BehindTheScenes wrote:
tmurphy90 wrote:

If Frank Turner shot his video standing in front of his Escalade with a gold chain around his neck and cigar in his mouth you might have a point, but he didn't so you don't. Frank's video was a low-quality vertical selfie sitting inside his car IIRC. Being an angry Custer fanboy doesn't change that.

LOL why would management tell Custer to film his 10-second video like that and tell the rest of the employees to film potato quality videos? They were told to make short videos talking about how the pandemic affects people and how "we're in this together". Custer's narcissism demanded that he go above and beyond to flaunt his terribly decorated home and his little doggy. I think he was even standing there with one leg raised on a stool or something. A perfectly framed shot for a vainglorious egomaniac.
BehindTheScenes wrote:
I’m not a moron
(citation needed)
Anchors were anchoring from home. How dare he film it from the place people were seeing him most often during that time? You’re literally talking shit about someone for their house decorations and a promotion. Might be time for some self reflection loser.

tmurphy90

Post by tmurphy90 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:35 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:07 am
tmurphy90 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:33 pm
BehindTheScenes wrote:
tmurphy90 wrote:
BehindTheScenes wrote:
tmurphy90 wrote:

BehindTheScenes wrote:
I’m not a moron
(citation needed)
Anchors were anchoring from home. How dare he film it from the place people were seeing him most often during that time? You’re literally talking shit about someone for their house decorations and a promotion. Might be time for some self reflection loser.
Custer fanboy suffers unhinged meltdown over someone observing Custer's narcissistic, egomaniacal behavior, then tells other person to self-reflect. :rollin

First you used the strawman of, "Bu bu bu maybe management told him to do film his short message like a fully produced commercial!" Now you use the strawman of, "Bu bu bu they were supposed to film at home!" while complaining, "Bu bu bu stop commenting on his decorations!" Your rage doesn't change the facts.

All the other anchors filmed simple, straightforward, modest videos in an impromptu manner. Custer spent hours or even days framing and setting up the shot - what to wear, what to exhibit, how to stand (with one foot elevated on a stool or something), what to hold, etc.

(I don't think your fanboy-addled brain can handle the following thought:)

If Custer doesn't want someone making fun of his tacky home decor (phone booth... lol) maybe he shouldn't have gone to such great lengths to showcase it.

bbb85

Post by bbb85 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm

The hate for David on this thread is just wild. I can't imagine what it is about him that makes you all dislike him so much compared to other (egotistical) anchors in the market. Hmmm. What could it be? 🙄

David is a lovely human. He's thoughtful and generous, he's incredibly smart and is talented (despite what many of you seem to think). News is a high pressure situation and he absolutely expects the best possible out of his colleagues, so if there are stories of him getting frustrated or angry at work... yeah, that makes sense. Show me one anchor who hasn't gotten frustrated at work. I've worked with many and I can't think of one. I've known David for 7 years and I've never seen him be unkind or cruel to anyone, unlike many of you here.

My point being, if any of you actually knew David, you wouldn't be here saying these things. And the fact that you don't know him but decide to pass such vitriolic judgment against him for things like (gasp) filming a clip at home during Covid with decorations you don't like, is actually pathetic. Take your homophobia elsewhere.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:33 pm

bbb85 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 pm
The hate for David on this thread is just wild. I can't imagine what it is about him that makes you all dislike him so much compared to other (egotistical) anchors in the market. Hmmm. What could it be? 🙄

David is a lovely human. He's thoughtful and generous, he's incredibly smart and is talented (despite what many of you seem to think). News is a high pressure situation and he absolutely expects the best possible out of his colleagues, so if there are stories of him getting frustrated or angry at work... yeah, that makes sense. Show me one anchor who hasn't gotten frustrated at work. I've worked with many and I can't think of one. I've known David for 7 years and I've never seen him be unkind or cruel to anyone, unlike many of you here.

My point being, if any of you actually knew David, you wouldn't be here saying these things. And the fact that you don't know him but decide to pass such vitriolic judgment against him for things like (gasp) filming a clip at home during Covid with decorations you don't like, is actually pathetic. Take your homophobia elsewhere.
Completely agree. The obsession is weird. And likely some undertones on why that exists.

Everyone has different tastes in news talent. But some of the stuff on here is blatantly false or over exaggerated.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 pm

Here’s an idea - maybe his smarmy attitude and ego just come off wrong.

I frankly could care less that David is gay. I have co workers that are. So is a main anchor and former weather anchor at ABC12 who I really like their work. It’s just his completely arrogant on air presence.

bbb85

Post by bbb85 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:58 pm

Realist wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:21 pm
Here’s an idea - maybe his smarmy attitude and ego just come off wrong.

I frankly could care less that David is gay. I have co workers that are. So is a main anchor and former weather anchor at ABC12 who I really like their work. It’s just his completely arrogant on air presence.
He's definitely not smarmy or arrogant, but you absolutely can have an opinion about an on-air presenter and how he comes off to you. What I was specifically referring to is the level of criticism he receives on this board that seems to vastly outweigh anyone else, almost to an obsessive level. He basically can't breathe without someone here having something to say about it. I'm all for having preferences for certain on-air talent and even offering valid critiques of their performance, but David consistently receives personal attacks that are out of line, particularly from people who largely do not know him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic