Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: WGER flips to 106.3 The Core

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:36 am

I suspect the music clock will become randomized soon. I've noticed sets of songs being played in the same sequence in different dayparts.

bmw

Post by bmw » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:59 am

They need to more than just randomize - they need to expand. As of now, it does seem like a really tight playlist. The novelty will wear off quick otherwise.

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:04 am

When we had Westwoods STORQ system for classic rock, the system was designed to run the high rotators (back in black, don't stop believin', etc) set to run 6 days a week. You could see them work through the system....00-6, one day, 6-10, the next, 10-14, 14-19, 19-00.... If I remember correctly, I counted just over 100 songs that had played 6 times in a 7 day period. I guess that's the formula for success according to WWO.

The answer, IMO, is more songs.

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Bob, if you can get yourself a signal in the Livingston/Washtenaw/SW Oakland County area, I'm all ears. I want to reach over to my dial and go "Oh hell yeah!" and crank it up. See my signature line. If I have to grab my phone and stream, I'm gonna put on what I want. The rest of the dial is 96% garbage. If I took a shot every time I heard Bon fucking Jovi, I'd be passed out by 7am!

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:46 pm

Is this going to be the next hot format trend like Classic Hip-Hop was a couple of years ago? Seems like a number of alternative stations have totally eliminated currents lately although the flavor is different in different markets. A more active lean makes sense for the Tri-Cities. 91X in San Diego has plenty of '80s and new wave. 103.3 in Indianapolis plays a lot of the Modern AC stuff like No Doubt and Third Eye Blind; many on this board would very likely dismiss it as too wimpy. Whatever the flavor, it's nice being able to hear the rock songs I grew up listening to sans Glass Animals and Billie Eilish.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:15 pm

The absolute funniest thing is that I’ve heard the mid day chick twice ask for people to call in to tell her what they think of the new format. You’d think if they got a positive phone call, they’d play it back on the air. Instead, it appears that NO ONE called in.

I question, given their half assed effort since their launch, how long this will last. Reason I say that is way too long commercial breaks, way too tight playlist and repetition and a upcoming morning show that goes over the edge and is obsessed with the word penis (what are they, middle schoolers?)

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:37 am

I still remember when WGER was on 102/5 and had the 'good music' format. Any stations in the area, or even in the state, play beautiful music today?

bobhuge

Post by bobhuge » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:17 am

Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:24 pm
Bob, if you can get yourself a signal in the Livingston/Washtenaw/SW Oakland County area, I'm all ears. I want to reach over to my dial and go "Oh hell yeah!" and crank it up. See my signature line. If I have to grab my phone and stream, I'm gonna put on what I want. The rest of the dial is 96% garbage. If I took a shot every time I heard Bon fucking Jovi, I'd be passed out by 7am!
Love to! You never know, our company has done some interesting things with its money at times! lol. Unfortunately, yeah, streaming WIDL is the only way you're going to get it. As one poster said, we do get a little deep. ;)

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:05 am

The absolute funniest thing is that I’ve heard the mid day chick twice ask for people to call in to tell her what they think of the new format. You’d think if they got a positive phone call, they’d play it back on the air. Instead, it appears that NO ONE called in.

I question, given their half assed effort since their launch, how long this will last. Reason I say that is way too long commercial breaks, way too tight playlist and repetition and a upcoming morning show that goes over the edge and is obsessed with the word penis (what are they, middle schoolers?)
The old 106.3 had a predominantly female audience, and the audience (at least on an AQH basis) was fairly small. Basically, the station needs to replace its old audience with an entirely new audience. I suspect many local listeners have no idea 106.3 even flipped.

If I were Alpha, I'd be advertising the new station on my non-Urban stations in the region (The Moose and WSGW AM & FM) and I'd also be doing digital marketing (i.e. ads on YouTube, for example).

I don't think the playlist is too tight at all for a brand new launch, but I agree that the numerous lengthy commercial breaks are nauseating.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:24 am

MWmetalhead wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:05 am

The old 106.3 had a predominantly female audience, and the audience (at least on an AQH basis) was fairly small. Basically, the station needs to replace its old audience with an entirely new audience. I suspect many local listeners have no idea 106.3 even flipped.

If I were Alpha, I'd be advertising the new station on my non-Urban stations in the region (The Moose and WSGW AM & FM) and I'd also be doing digital marketing (i.e. ads on YouTube, for example).

I don't think the playlist is too tight at all for a brand new launch, but I agree that the numerous lengthy commercial breaks are nauseating.
One of the few ways they’re going to get attention that they flipped is to spend $$$ on billboards in the area. Otherwise people won’t know they exist

bmw

Post by bmw » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:51 am

bobhuge wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:17 am
Mega Hertz wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:24 pm
Love to! You never know, our company has done some interesting things with its money at times! lol. Unfortunately, yeah, streaming WIDL is the only way you're going to get it. As one poster said, we do get a little deep. ;)
Did you ever get your broadcast power issues fixed? Your signal in the Tawas area is still nowhere near as good as it was when you first moved to your new tower. You said something a year or two ago about a part kept burning out.

audiophile

Post by audiophile » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:05 am

Why didn't they drop a microphone next the metal lathe of the local machine shop...they might have more listeners.

Ask not what your country can do FOR you; ask what they are about to do TO YOU!!

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:56 am

That's not nice. 😜

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:37 pm

audiophile wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:05 am
Why didn't they drop a microphone next the metal lathe of the local machine shop...they might have more listeners.
So says the Jesus freak broadcaster buying up struggling stations 🙄🙄🙄

There is an audience for their music, otherwise they wouldn’t have tried to take on Z93

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:58 am

WGER needs to remove the Matchbox 20 and Nickelback cuts from its playlist. That crap should've been tossed in the garbage can with the rest of Mix 106.3's music & formatics.

That, the lengthy commercial breaks, and the limp DJ mic processing I heard the first couple days are my only grips so far.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic