Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Poor presentation on NBC25

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
organman95

Poor presentation on NBC25

Post by organman95 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:04 pm

How much of NBC25's Severe Weather coverage was OTA?

That was the worst coverage/delivery I've ever seen. I know that weather is difficult to describe, especially when it is live.

But come on. Ahmad had one hell of a delivery. Both Leslie and Erik's deliveries were HORRID with a LOT of dead air. Not to mention that cluster fuck of talk/"noise" five minutes before the 5pm news. Ahmad wouldn't have allowed/done that. He would've ended the feed first.

Even Ron has better delivery that those two.

OnTopic

Re: Poor presentation on NBC25

Post by OnTopic » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm

Ron was trained by Ahmad directly. He has come far since he started. I wonder if he will get a full meteorologist title soon instead of forecaster.
Erik did well last week but the longer coverage seemed to wear on him today. With more time and practice he may improve. I'll give him one more chance but after Ahmad left I have enjoyed watching Chris Easlick.
What is astonishing is how they continue to allow Leslie to put on these performances. Surely more of those failures will come as they refuse to get rid of her despite multiple people leaving because of her.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:38 pm

Neille, GM Chad, and HR Ashley were afraid to discipline Leslie… fearing she would file a gender and age discrimination lawsuit like she did when she was fired from WJRT after pulling the same crap. 25-66’s lack of action only emboldened Leslie’s bad acts. Numerous people left the station because of Leslie and management who refused to manage.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:43 pm

Don’t know if WNEM cut in on air today but saw Chris and Mat did occasional Facebook updates.

I thought their tornado warning coverage on Monday was excellent together.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:41 am

Maybe I'll tune into Chris the next time severe weather is in the area. I've just never been real impressed with 5's weather graphics or weather center. Just seemed "flashy" to me for some reason.

Maybe it's the brighter lighting than 25 or 12 have.

Deleted User 15331

Post by Deleted User 15331 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:51 am

WNEM is the ONLY station in mid Michigan with their own radar system.
That gives them a H*** edge over the competition. The have the ability to switch modes and look at the radar data more closely.

Herm

Post by Herm » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:02 am

OnTopic wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:15 pm
Ron was trained by Ahmad directly. He has come far since he started. I wonder if he will get a full meteorologist title soon instead of forecaster.
Erik did well last week but the longer coverage seemed to wear on him today. With more time and practice he may improve. I'll give him one more chance but after Ahmad left I have enjoyed watching Chris Easlick.
What is astonishing is how they continue to allow Leslie to put on these performances. Surely more of those failures will come as they refuse to get rid of her despite multiple people leaving because of her.
Isn’t a degree in meteorology required to be a meteorologist? It’s not just a title that is given by a station as a reward for experience, training, and service.
Unless I’m completely misunderstanding your statement.

NoozDude

Post by NoozDude » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:54 am

Herm wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:02 am
OnTopic wrote:
Isn’t a degree in meteorology required to be a meteorologist? It’s not just a title that is given by a station as a reward for experience, training, and service.
Herm is correct. According to the National Weather Service "A 4-year degree (B.S.) in meteorology/atmospheric science is the minimum requirement for a meteorologist. They work in small, medium, and large markets. A growing number of TV stations have at least one meteorologist on station, depending on the size of the station’s market, and interest in hiring meteorologists (vs. weathercasters) by the program manager."

Herm

Post by Herm » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:12 pm

NoozDude wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:54 am
Herm wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:02 am
OnTopic wrote:
Herm is correct. According to the National Weather Service "A 4-year degree (B.S.) in meteorology/atmospheric science is the minimum requirement for a meteorologist. They work in small, medium, and large markets. A growing number of TV stations have at least one meteorologist on station, depending on the size of the station’s market, and interest in hiring meteorologists (vs. weathercasters) by the program manager."
NoozDude knows what he’s talking about.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:42 pm

NoozDude is the GOAT

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:29 am

Midlandguy wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:51 am
WNEM is the ONLY station in mid Michigan with their own radar system.
That gives them a H*** edge over the competition. The have the ability to switch modes and look at the radar data more closely.
Everyone has that data, it just depends on if they know how to use it.

Deleted User 15331

Post by Deleted User 15331 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:45 am

The other stations do not have that data. It comes from the WNEM-owned radar. The NWS radar does not provide the ability to switch modes.

Jack5o2soco

Post by Jack5o2soco » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:39 pm

Midlandguy wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:45 am
The other stations do not have that data. It comes from the WNEM-owned radar. The NWS radar does not provide the ability to switch modes.
Yes they do I've seen it on abc12 coverage

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:08 am

Virtually all professional software that uses NOAA radar data allows ability to switch to velocity, storm relative velocity, radar estimated total precip, correlation coefficient and similar modes. Heck, I can do most of that myself using a smartphone app.

Modern software packages used by TV stations also analyze NOAA radar data to plot shear measurements and estimated hail size.

Midlandguy indicated that in addition to the normal software suite that supplies NOAA radar data, WNEM allegedly has its own in-house radar system. I cannot say for sure if that statement is accurate, but I do know there are a small number of TV stations that still maintain and operate in-house radars to augment data received from NOAA's radars. This is fairly uncommon these days, as such in-house radars tend to be much less powerful (signal wise) than NOAA's radars. One important advantage - the in-house radar data tends to be closer to being "live" data. It also can act as a backup if NOAA's nearest radar is out of commission.

Deleted User 15331

Post by Deleted User 15331 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:00 am

WNEM does own their own radar system. The radar site is located just east of the MBS airport property.
The biggest advantage is the location of the WNEM radar. The NWS radars are located at quite some distance from the tri cities.
They are not able to see precip (especially in Winter) which is below several thousand feet.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic