Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WBMI will soon be all-Smiles

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe

Realist

Re: WBMI will soon be all-Smiles

Post by Realist » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:18 pm

Another commercial radio station bought by the God Squad 🙄

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:42 pm

With Prime and an Echo I can listen to radio stations from around the world, and in this area, it's a life saver.

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:43 am

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:56 pm

Ya know, I was thinking...why not just have one set studio to air everything out of, and just buy up any and all frequencies on the FM dial. Imagine the money that could be saved!

I still say if the 88-92 part of the dial is supposed to be non-comm/religious/college/whatever, if the K Loves and Smile FMs are gonna buy up commercial frequencies, then commercial formats should be allowed left of the dial.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Graham Wellington

Post by Graham Wellington » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:50 pm

Mega Hertz wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:56 pm
Ya know, I was thinking...why not just have one set studio to air everything out of, and just buy up any and all frequencies on the FM dial. Imagine the money that could be saved!

I still say if the 88-92 part of the dial is supposed to be non-comm/religious/college/whatever, if the K Loves and Smile FMs are gonna buy up commercial frequencies, then commercial formats should be allowed left of the dial.
Was there anything stopping a commercial owner from buying this frequency? God squads are buying these frequencies because there is no longer good money to be made with them.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:43 pm

What a waste of a frequency...

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:14 am

Matt wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:43 pm
What a waste of a frequency...
👍👍👍

Colonel Flagg

Post by Colonel Flagg » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:43 am

Mega Hertz wrote:

I totally agree. You should read an old court case called NPR vs. FCC. I was tangled up in that for years. It still pisses me off. It took 11 years to wrap up that mess. The jesuscasters are only part of the problem.

"Pretty soon, every kid in America will wish he were me"

Mega Hertz

Post by Mega Hertz » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:57 pm

Colonel Flagg wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:43 am
Mega Hertz wrote:

I totally agree. You should read an old court case called NPR vs. FCC. I was tangled up in that for years. It still pisses me off. It took 11 years to wrap up that mess. The jesuscasters are only part of the problem.
I wanna know who the hell you are. You've had some great stories and if I heard your name I bet I'd know you.

"Internet is no more like radio than intravenous feeding is like fine dining."
-TurkeyTop

Ben Zonia

Post by Ben Zonia » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:54 pm

It's not just "religious" broadcasters that have crossed over to the 92-108 MHz band. In the early days of FM, Channel 6 TV stations objected to stations in the 88-92 reserved band. In Michigan in particular, there were three Channel 6 stations. WJIM-TV 6 was in the middle of the state, which put Grade B Fringe service in or near many major cities, including Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids, and Kalamazoo. This slowed the development of the more powerful stations, and WDET, WFBE, WVGR, and WMUK all ended up on the non reserved 92-108 MHz Band.

If you notice, the most powerful noncommercial stations hug the top of the reserved band, 90-92 MHz. WUOM, once 230000 watts, is practically out of the reserved band at 91.7, and WKAR-FM was once 125000 watts on 90.5. However, even on 90.5, WKAR-FM was very close to WJIM-TV (now WLNS-TV on a physical UHF Channel) physically in Okemos, which limited the interference ratio. 10 watt educational stations with limited interference to channel 6 hugged the frequencies close to them, 88-90 MHz.

Later, the FCC authorized vertical only polarization and high V ERP vs. low H ERP elliptical polarization with some VERY complicated rules, which slowed the development until head scratching engineers were able to buy reasonably priced allotment software. Before, these stations thought they had to locate on Channel 6 transmitting towers, due to the way the rules were written. These were based on the H Polarization Only Channel 6 stations, and simple, slightly directional H Polarization antennas including rabbit ears and simple outdoor Yagis to pick them up. When digital TV Low VHF problems caused all but a handful of stations to abandon physical Channel 6, it opened the floodgates for many more stations in the NCE-FM band.

"I had a job for a while as an announcer at WWV but I finally quit, because I couldn't stand the hours."

-Author Unknown

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:02 am

What are they now? All frowns?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic