Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

WNEM Sweeps

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Luke

WNEM Sweeps

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:19 pm

Just saw an ad on WNEM for a David Custer sweeps piece about a school shooter drill. It ended the ad by asking if such a drill helped save more lives at the Oxford shooting.

I couldn’t believe it. I get it’s sweeps but using a local school tragedy as a ratings ploy is despicable. This is why the media gets a bad reputation.
Last edited by Luke on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke

Re: WNEM Sweeps

Post by Luke » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:21 pm

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:19 pm

It's as if Meredith is still running things. It is quite tacky and way too soon for a story like this.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:15 pm

Luke wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:19 pm
Just saw an ad on WNEM for a David Custer sweeps piece about a school shooter drill. It ended the ad by asking if such a drill helped save more lives at the Oxford shooting.

I couldn’t believe it. I get it’s sweeps but using a local school tragedy as a ratings ploy is despicable. This is why the media gets a bad reputation.
The ad, along with Custer’s Facebook post promoting this, is completely tacky and offensive. Then again, I would expect nothing less from both Custer and TV5.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:43 am

The hard on some of you have for David is incredible.

What about that is offensive? Oxford is a current event that happened in our own state. Active shooter drills are becoming common in schools. Is it not relevant to find out whether those drills are working?

Maybe you all are more comfortable with the journalism integrity that’s happening on Parler on Pierson Rd.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:21 am

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:43 am

What about that is offensive? Oxford is a current event that happened in our own state. Active shooter drills are becoming common in schools. Is it not relevant to find out whether those drills are working?

Maybe you all are more comfortable with the journalism integrity that’s happening on Parler on Pierson Rd.
We’ve discussed Custer’s lack of journalistic integrity as nauseam.I stand by my statement.

My issue is they are COMPLETELY exploiting this incident. These kids in Oxford just physically came back to the building and a news operation wants to intrude with this? Sickening. Let these kids heal in peace.

I take the political spin from the Pierson Rd operations with a grain of salt as I’m more than aware who runs that operation.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:32 am

Realist wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:21 am
BehindTheScenes wrote:

We’ve discussed Custer’s lack of journalistic integrity as nauseam.I stand by my statement.

My issue is they are COMPLETELY exploiting this incident. These kids in Oxford just physically came back to the building and a news operation wants to intrude with this? Sickening. Let these kids heal in peace.

I take the political spin from the Pierson Rd operations with a grain of salt as I’m more than aware who runs that operation.
So you would prefer to open the wound back up a few years down the road rather than talk about it when it’s a relevant topic?

No one had to talk to David. They chose to. So maybe it’s not as crazy as you think Ed Murrow.

Luke

Post by Luke » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:57 am

If Custer did an investigation into the safety protocols at Oxford and discovered something significant, like protocols that were being ignored or skipped that could have helped prevent deaths and injuries, that would be a story. I would still tread very lightly, but that would be good journalism. This isn't that. It's literally a lazy fluff piece used to bring in ratings during sweeps. It's disrespectful to the victims and the community.

I also hate the political spin on Pierson Rd, but that's another thread.

Realist

Post by Realist » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:17 pm

Luke wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:57 am
If Custer did an investigation into the safety protocols at Oxford and discovered something significant, like protocols that were being ignored or skipped that could have helped prevent deaths and injuries, that would be a story. I would still tread very lightly, but that would be good journalism. This isn't that. It's literally a lazy fluff piece used to bring in ratings during sweeps. It's disrespectful to the victims and the community.

I also hate the political spin on Pierson Rd, but that's another thread.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:40 pm

Never forgot the Dale Kildee hit piece.
A mistake in ethics, judgement or journalism standards? Does it matter which?

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:27 pm

Martin Stett wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:40 pm
Never forgot the Dale Kildee hit piece.
A mistake in ethics, judgement or journalism standards? Does it matter which?
Great memory on that. Absolutely no ethics or standards in running that 💩💩💩. It was pretty obvious when watching that piece that the alleged victim was very mentally unstable

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:53 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:32 am
Realist wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:21 am
BehindTheScenes wrote:

So you would prefer to open the wound back up a few years down the road rather than talk about it when it’s a relevant topic?

No one had to talk to David. They chose to. So maybe it’s not as crazy as you think Ed Murrow.
What the hell is wrong with you?

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:26 am

DAC wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:53 pm
What the hell is wrong with you?
What did I say that was incorrect?

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:24 pm

It had a Goodrich spin to it. Good typical fluff piece from TV-5.

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

dirtymind410

Post by dirtymind410 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:08 am

hard hitting fluff journalism...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic