Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Vaccine mandates

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Vaccine mandates

Post by sinklair » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:09 pm

With more virulent strains of COVID-19 emerging, I still don’t understand why the Sinclair Corporate Death Star has not followed the science and mandated COVID-19 vaccinations like our colleagues. While other stations have returned nearly back to normal operations, we continue to see disruptions to our core business operations.

This is not an argument over people’s right to determine what to put into their bodies. This is about an employer choosing to take every step to keep our colleagues healthy and safe so we can earn a (meager) living.

Our jobs force us to interact with people at the station and our in the community.

Yes, I’ve been vaccinated and received my booster shot due to underlying health conditions. But with the very real possibility of break thru cases and more transmissible strains, it is irresponsible for Sinclair not to take that next step.

25-66 managers say it’s not their call, which seems like a cop out since they make all sorts of local rules for us to follow. But even if it’s a higher up call, they should be advocating for what many of us have already done… get the shot.

We even received criticism from (anti-vaccine) viewers who made fun of colleagues for wearing masks and gloves while cutting up turkey dinner for the staff on Thursday… that’s how insanely political this has gotten.

If there’s a medicine that could literally save your life or prevent a family member, friend, or work colleague from becoming ill, why wouldn’t you?

sinklair

Re: Vaccine mandates

Post by sinklair » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:08 am

Reagan: while your statements may be technically accurate, you also know that infection, transmission and fatality rates are many times much lower for the vaccinated versus unvaccinated. There are also long term health consequences for many persons who get COVID but survive. And the pandemic has had a major economic impact, meaning employers have a financial responsibility to play a role in protecting their employees, customers and core business by advocating employment conditions like vaccine mandates. It’s proven successful with other broadcasters. Why is Sinclair resisting other than for a misguided political stance when most of its employees have already weighed in by getting the shot? It’s the few that haven’t that are causing concern for the rest of us. While I can get vaccinated to protect myself, my family, friends and colleagues, the unvaccinated can still pass the illness on to me and disrupt how we do our jobs.

As for my happiness, I am doing just fine. Thank you very much for your concern. As our shorttimer GM will tell you, I’m not bending the knee to others who insist that if we stop posting that everything with magically improve.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:21 am

Reagan: no apologies necessary. I appreciate the clarification.

As for the virus, people want to believe the vaccine is like a light switch… either it’s on (100% effective) or off (0% effective).

Vaccines don’t work like that. A bad example for illustrative purposes might be more like the vaccines are like layers of clothing for protection against the cold. The more layers you put on, the less likely you are to get cold. (Like I said, it may be a bad analogy…)

Because of my own risks, I want as much protection as possible from getting the virus. If everyone around me is vaccinated, it’s not 100% effective, there are breakthrough cases. I could get it or pass it on to others… or vice versa. But at much lower rates.

My personal belief is that a business has the responsibility to create as safe of a working environment as possible for its workers. We interact with a lot of people at the station and out in the community, therefore we have to be careful. If a vaccine mandate provides another layer of protection that allows the paychecks to continue to flow, broadcasters should make it mandatory (again, just my view).

I see the difference the mandates (albeit controversial) have made in both the operational functions and overall morale at the stations that have implemented vaccine mandates. They’ve been able to return to more normal functions (in person, without masks, less quarantines) and employees are happier that everyone has that additional layer of protection.

There might be businesses that are more insulated from the public that might make a different choice. But for the public service we provide, I think vaccine mandates are a good thing for broadcasters like Sinclair to consider.

I appreciate your perspective and that you’re willing to listen to mine. That’s really all I can ask for… more deliberative consideration by the people who make these important decisions.

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:24 am

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:04 am

Nexstar doesn't have a mandate on the vaccine either I'm sure there few others but for the most part, most broadcasters are mandating you get vaccinated from COVID.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 am

Sinclair sent the following email to all employees…

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/ ... ot-the-jab

Here’s the problem… it’s clear that the higher ups at the Corporate Death Star don’t care about the vaccine mandate. They say ad much multiple times in the email. They’re just gauging how many workers have taken the responsible step to get the shot… and how many of our colleagues would be potential super spreaders. Word is there are several Sinclair stations in the south and west that the majority of the staff are unvaccinated and corporate is worried that a vaccine mandate means they would have massive layoffs if President Biden’s vaccine mandate goes into effect.

As I’ve stated, I’m glad that many of my colleagues at 25-66 are protected. It protects me, my family/friends and the people we interact with out in the community.

But do I trust the company or my managers with my medical information? Hell no.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:54 pm

Mandates take away my freedom of choice! You come at me with a needle filled with whatever is in it and I will stop you with a shot of my own!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:20 am

Dudley: it doesn’t eliminate any choice. You can choose to work where you want. If you don’t want to work at a company that has a vaccine mandate, then don’t. Go and work where you want.

But I should also have that same choice and work at a company that values protecting the health and safety of its workers.

You see, freedom of choice works both ways.

km1125

Post by km1125 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:40 am

sinklair wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:20 am
Dudley: it doesn’t eliminate any choice. You can choose to work where you want. If you don’t want to work at a company that has a vaccine mandate, then don’t. Go and work where you want.

But I should also have that same choice and work at a company that values protecting the health and safety of its workers.

You see, freedom of choice works both ways.
So much for facts and science.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic