Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sinclair holiday layoffs

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Sinclair holiday layoffs

Post by sinklair » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:49 am

Yet another example why Sinclair is the absolute worst company to work for… the Corporate Death Star just announced another round of job cuts, just in time for the holidays.

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/ ... -happening

This is the fifth round of cuts in about four years at 25-66. We’ve lost so many good people in the newsroom and other departments. Others have just left when their contracts were up because of the incompetence of management here on Pierson Road and in our Maryland HQ.

In addition, if you are “lucky” enough to keep your job, your pay raises have been limited to 1.5 percent or flat.

Plus you have to do your job without many of the basic tools because someone in IT forgot to properly install Norton anti-virus and practically took down the whole system with a ransomware attack.

And our local stations are facing cuts as the company tries to salvage the failing Bally Sports regional sports networks.

And let’s not forget, Sinclair is in a year-plus long pissing match with cable companies, satellite company and digital distributors over retransmission compensation. Instead of getting some money from these companies, Sinclair has pulled our feeds and we are receiving nothing because of their greed.

But as our HR Director/Party Planner will tell you herself, 25-66 is a great place to have your journalism career die under the mismanagement of our In Over Her Head News Director.

Happy holidays from Sinclair board chairman/lover of prostitutes David “Scrooge” Smith!

Deleted User 15555

Re: Sinclair holiday layoffs

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:23 pm

How long until managers on a local level complain they don’t have enough employees?

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:24 pm

If it is so bad, wouldn't you want to get released? Also, is there ever a good time to downsize?

Voting for Trump is dumber than playing Russian Roulette with fully loaded chambers.

Realist

Post by Realist » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Considering the skeleton on air news crew that 25/66 currently has, how could they cut any more there?

Martin Stett

Post by Martin Stett » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:51 pm

Realist wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:24 pm
Considering the skeleton on air news crew that 25/66 currently has, how could they cut any more there?
Letterman had a top ten list about cuts at his network. One of them was the then-anchor sitting at a desk with a TV saying "Now let's watch the ABC news together."

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:36 pm

BTS: you just don’t complain to corporate— people who complain tend not to have very long careers. So those in power at the local level (department heads who are the only
Ones making a decent wage) are in a self-preservation mode and will watch as the Death Star lays off everyone else until there’s no one else. Does it make any sense? No. But that’s the world we currently live in.

Matt: as a person who has watched many of my colleagues lose their jobs as a result of mismanagement at the local and corporate level, I wouldn’t wish that on you or anyone else. Why would I want to lose my job when I haven’t done anything wrong? What I want is the station to be run better. However there is a lack of confidence that our current management team can do that.

Is there ever a good time to downsize? Is that a real question… especially when you’re considering the livelihoods of people who have given their time and talents to this station… only to face layoffs right before the holidays for reasons unrelated to our work performance?

Realist: we are waaaay beyond a skeleton crew. These decisions are now just a management exercise in trying to get to the magical corporate number, regardless of the impact on our ability to deliver a daily newscast.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:02 am

At this rate, management will have to do the news be the anchor the reporter, etc at 25/66.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:00 am

Master: our fearless, In Over Her Head News Director reminds us all the time about her years as a sports anchor. So I’m sure she won’t mind not filling positions so she can save money for the Corporate Death Star. So if you’re keeping count, in the last few years, we’ve lost veteran talent like Bill Harris, Joel Feick, Jeanna Trotman, Rachelle Spence… who were driven out by the current management. And that doesn’t count all the MMJs, producers, photographers and countless people behind the scenes. How are we supposedly a better station as our mismanagement team keeps telling us???

learn to fly

Post by learn to fly » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:18 am

Just asking Sinclair but does the website list any of the on air talent at the station. Wondering what a skeleton staff looks like in numbers.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 am

Here’s the “People” page on our website:
https://nbc25news.com/station/people

We try to make us look bigger by including the bios of some of our Washington DC correspondents like Scott Thurman and Kristine Frazao.

So (without the DC team), we have 13 people producing 7 hours of news daily. ABC12 by comparison has closer to 20 people.

That streamlined staffing is also felt behind the camera. We have less photographers, producers, digital team, directors, etc. helping put on the news — literally doing more with less.

Not only does it affect the quality of the journalism we produce, but it also means when someone takes vacation or calls in sick or takes another job, it becomes exponentially harder on everyone else picking up the slack. The low pay and the unmanageable workload are the top reasons people don’t re-sign at 25-66. While ABC12 and WNEM have talent that stick around, we are turning over staff at an alarming rate.

Right now, we have 8 open positions.

https://edyy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcm ... iusUnit=KM

That doesn’t include a handful of positions that management has just decided not to fill. And Sinclair’s message to expect more layoffs around the holidays mean more staff are looking to leave and fewer people want to apply to our vacancies. The company literally makes a bad situation worse with its ominous end of year prediction.

Does the handpicked Sinclair GM with a sales background care? Nope since she’s able to keep the salary budget line item flat year to year.

Is our In Over Her Head News Director doing anything to improve the situation? Nope. She complains about the lack of staff but then drags her feet at filling open positions. When she does fill open positions, it’s usually with newbie staff who have significantly less experience than what ABC12 or WNEM are bringing in (AKA we can pay less).

You’d think an HR Director worth her spit would attempt to fix the problem. Not at 25-66. She buries complaints when the staff reports stressful working conditions and problems with our leadership team.

NO ONE trusts the GM, News Director or HR Director. They simply will not do the right thing. There was hope that when the former GM/egomaniac left that things might improve. They didn’t. And in many cases (largely as a result of corporate level decisions) things have gotten significantly worse. Our station level management only cares about following dictates from the Corporate Death Star so they save their jobs and make bonuses for keeping expenses artificially low.

Realist

Post by Realist » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:28 am

Sinklair maybe you can answer this. It seems that when someone calls in sick, Stephanie Parkinson gets called in. I’ve seen her 1/2 awake on the morning show. Is she too nice of a person or on someone’s 💩💩💩 list?

I hope when her contract ends, if she wants to remain in broadcasting, she goes to ABC12 or 5

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:20 pm

Steph is that nice of a person. She realizes the tough position the station is in. She helps out where needed.

That’s the rub that we face. We have really good people who are sh*t upon everyday. When you’re a good person and don’t complain, 25-66 management continues to abuse the hard workers. She’s not alone in being jerked around. It’s just how our In Over Her Head News Director abuses her power.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:26 am

As of this morning, Sinclair has more than 600 open positions— which equates to about 9 positions per its 70 plus news producing stations.

These are the “essential” positions that are still being filled despite the holiday layoffs that are still coming.

Who wants to take a VO position with a company like Sinclair that will continue to pile on additional work?

Of course, no word from our handpicked Sinclair GM or our In Over Her Head News Director about layoffs, hiring plans for our open positions (anchor, producer, MMJ, photographer, marketing consultant, broadcast engineer tech, etc.), or how they plan to do more work with less bodies.

If you want to apply to one of our open positions, here’s the link:
https://edyy.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcm ... iusUnit=KM

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:49 am

After a year of layoffs, working through a pandemic, and a cyberattack, we got word from nobody’s favorite CEO Chris the Ripper that we’re getting a Christmas bonus this year! A $50 gift card!

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/ ... -something

Well, I guess he’s not going to disclose the ban on company holiday celebrations aimed at saving saving the company money. It’s like a real life Scrooge McDuck sitting on his pile of money.

Realist

Post by Realist » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 pm

sinklair wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:49 am
After a year of layoffs, working through a pandemic, and a cyberattack, we got word from nobody’s favorite CEO Chris the Ripper that we’re getting a Christmas bonus this year! A $50 gift card!

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2021/ ... -something

Well, I guess he’s not going to disclose the ban on company holiday celebrations aimed at saving saving the company money. It’s like a real life Scrooge McDuck sitting on his pile of money.
How much do you want to bet that the top managers at the Death Star are still going to have an extravagant holiday party?

Reminds me of the top management at my place - completely out of touch with workers. Told the top 2 at my place yesterday that to their face, amongst other things, via video on a BS meeting. When my incompetent moron director said he didn’t like my attitude, I disconnected from the call. I can’t wait to retire as I despise my top managers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic