Acceptable registrations in the queue through April 25 at 5:30p ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Non Commercial Radio in Flint

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Greg Buben

Non Commercial Radio in Flint

Post by Greg Buben » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:30 am

Although I grew up in the Grand Rapids area I've always had family ties to the Flint area and therefore I have studied
the TV and radio there since the 1960's. I must say that non commercial radio in the Flint area sux worse than in other
significant parts of Michigan. All you have are religious non commercials and NPR from "Michigan Radio". I have nothing
against the religious broadcasters there however there should be a non commercial FM that's listener supported that
offers more than just religion and NPR. When WFBE became a commercial station that was a big blow to non commer-
cial radio in Flint. Hopefully someday somebody can start a good non commercial FM with atleast 1,000 watts that can
offer more than NPR, religion, or the overdone commercial formats such as Top 40 CHR, Adult Contemporary, Urban
Contemporary, and the modern country hits of the 2000's and the major record labels Nashville offices.

Kennelly Heaviside

Re: Non Commercial Radio in Flint

Post by Kennelly Heaviside » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:50 pm

WFOV-LP 92.1, WFAH-LP 102.1, and WKUF-LP 94.3, all have Variety type noncommercial formats of various description. All are limited to the equivalent of 100 watts from 30 meters however. WFOV and WFAH lost their lease at the former Powers HS, and the Flint Board of Education reportedly didn't want their towers at the former NWHS. They are seeking a new site. Presently, they are operating on STA with just 10 watts from a short spaced site not usable for LIC facility use.

Kennelly Heaviside. The best Technical Consultant no money can buy.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Re: Non Commercial Radio in Flint

Post by MWmetalhead » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:47 am

All you have are religious non commercials and NPR from "Michigan Radio".
Not true. WKAR-FM from East Lansing and WUCX from Bay City deliver very usable signals to the Flint area. To boot, WKAR-FM's programming is quite similar to that of the former WFBE.

Kennelly is right; WKUF-LP is a neat little station.

Morgan Wallen is a piece of garbage.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic