Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Frank Turner

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
Deleted User 15555

Re: Frank Turner

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:20 pm

I’m stunned the integrity police on the board don’t know why Frank is no longer in the Detroit market.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:17 pm

Here’s some background on Frank’s past:
https://wcrz.com/wnems-frank-turner-new ... hor-video/

I don’t understand how Turner’s stance led to his firing… or why he would push it to the point he did. Frank wants to remain safe, and it sounds like the station has pretty good COVID protocols. Why wouldn’t the station look for reasonable accommodations to social distance in the studio?

There has to be more to the story.

Regardless, I think it’s a big loss for TV5. Frank brought maturity to an anchor team that sometimes lacks it.

As for his prospects across town at 25-66… don’t bet on it. The GM and In Over Her Head News Director’s marching orders are to cut salary expenses. Bringing in someone’s tenure like Turner costs money.

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:34 pm

I’d love it if 12 hired him to anchor weekend nights to replace Cheri “I can’t talk coherently while anchoring to save my life” Hartman….

Realist

Post by Realist » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 pm

sinklair wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:17 pm
Here’s some background on Frank’s past:
https://wcrz.com/wnems-frank-turner-new ... hor-video/

I don’t understand how Turner’s stance led to his firing… or why he would push it to the point he did. Frank wants to remain safe, and it sounds like the station has pretty good COVID protocols. Why wouldn’t the station look for reasonable accommodations to social distance in the studio?

There has to be more to the story.

Regardless, I think it’s a big loss for TV5. Frank brought maturity to an anchor team that sometimes lacks it.

As for his prospects across town at 25-66… don’t bet on it. The GM and In Over Her Head News Director’s marching orders are to cut salary expenses. Bringing in someone’s tenure like Turner costs money.
I’m guessing that’s why, in part. Lia Kimona left this week. The rats are bailing from your rudderless ship…

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:17 pm

BehindTheScenes wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:20 pm
I’m stunned the integrity police on the board don’t know why Frank is no longer in the Detroit market.
Nice passive aggressive comment. A++

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Realist: Lia is well liked. She has some health issues she’s dealing with that played into her departure. But the stress from station mismanagement definitely plays a role in the large turnover. Neille has no support in the newsroom. Now let’s see if the GM will make the hard decision to clean house to improve morale. I doubt it since Neille is a Sinclair supporter through and through.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:55 pm

There are some others who have passed through or been associated with both markets, who have had their past completely scrubbed, including a story in a coworker's autobiography, that had the story disguised, and then completely removed in a later edition. No internet trail remains, either.

In that case, I found the defense story very believable, and I won't mention who it is. They wouldn't have been so lucky today though.

But there seems to be one unforgivable sin, and that's using certain words, even in private. I don't think that one's career will ever recover.

Disagreeing with Communists is NOT an impeachable offense.

Never eat Sushi past its expiration date.

Those who refuse to drain the swamp are doomed to drown in it.

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:16 am

Realist wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:17 pm
BehindTheScenes wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:23 pm
Looks like a pretty typical corporate statement smalls. And not David, just find the obsession that you all have with him somewhat concerning.
Because David’s on air persona is of a “I’m better than you”, know it all, pre Madonna ass
It's PRIMA DONNA, not Pre Madonna, which would be before 1983.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/diction ... ma%20donna

DAC

Post by DAC » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 am

TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:16 am
Realist wrote:
BehindTheScenes wrote:
Looks like a pretty typical corporate statement smalls. And not David, just find the obsession that you all have with him somewhat concerning.
Because David’s on air persona is of a “I’m better than you”, know it all, pre Madonna ass

I was going to say the exact same thing. It cracked me up when I read it. But, in fairness, David seems like a boi who probably adores Madonna. A double-billed concert featuring both Cher and Madonna would likely make his head explode, or perhaps need at least a week off for the concert and the necessary recovery time to come down from the high.

Regarding Frank, I often wonder if anyone at 5 (or any of the other stations, for that matter) ever even watch their own news shows. Frank was the best they had. I have never figured out why he wasn't anchoring at 6PM and 11 PM. David sucks, Meg is so-so (but still good given the overall market condition). She still seems young, unseasoned, and green. Pairing her with a seasoned, professional like Frank would probably up her game considerably. I may be crazy, because there are so many others posting who don't see it. What am I missing here?

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:25 am

Frank is and was a very good news anchor, but the guy seems to create drama.

Won't lie - he lasted at WNEM longer than I expected.

Deleted User 15555

Post by Deleted User 15555 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:17 am

DAC wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:11 am
TC Shuts Up wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:16 am
Realist wrote:
BehindTheScenes wrote:

I was going to say the exact same thing. It cracked me up when I read it. But, in fairness, David seems like a boi who probably adores Madonna. A double-billed concert featuring both Cher and Madonna would likely make his head explode, or perhaps need at least a week off for the concert and the necessary recovery time to come down from the high.

Regarding Frank, I often wonder if anyone at 5 (or any of the other stations, for that matter) ever even watch their own news shows. Frank was the best they had. I have never figured out why he wasn't anchoring at 6PM and 11 PM. David sucks, Meg is so-so (but still good given the overall market condition). She still seems young, unseasoned, and green. Pairing her with a seasoned, professional like Frank would probably up her game considerably. I may be crazy, because there are so many others posting who don't see it. What am I missing here?
I’ll save my Custer comments since my thoughts are known, but Meg is the furthest thing from green. Meg does everything by the journalism book and is one of the hardest working people in that building when it comes to making sure every loose end to stories are tied up. Meg doesn’t need Frank Turner.

mr v

Post by mr v » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:29 am

TC Shuts Up

Post by TC Shuts Up » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:55 am

I personally find Ms. Ciccone calling herself "Madonna" to be sacrilegious. People now associate the Mother of Jesus with this woman given to "Histrionic Personality Disorder". Look it up.

I distinctly remember that it was 1983 when Madonna Ciccone emerged. I had a client in Rochester who had come in to the business I worked at at the time, early in 1983. No one knew who Ms. Ciccone was. I asked Anthony if he was related to another rocker, the now late Don Ciccone, who formed The Critters. He kind of hesitated, and denied it, but some say it's a second cousin. So I knew it was after that, or I would probably have asked about "Madge". I called his name as "Tony Ciccone", and he corrected me that I should only call him Anthony, and that I had mispronounced his last name. We all know his story. We had the address and phone number on file, and the newspapers soon reported some of the identifiable details later that year. He called the business a few times after that and one of the staff asked if he was related to "Madge". He denied it, even though he had the same address and phone number as "Madge". I prefer Madge to calling her a sacrilegious name.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:04 pm

If Frank wasn't terminated, and he didn't quit, then what happened?

smallwonder

Post by smallwonder » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm

The bigger question is which employee ratted him out to Ken and Jayne?

turn up the radio! mighty in might!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic