Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Storms 6/26

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Re: Storms 6/26

Post by sinklair » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 pm

Where was Kirtek, Bachman, Toldo? Isn’t it supposed to be all hands on deck when there’s a severe weather outbreak?

km1125

Post by km1125 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:30 am

I'm surprised at how many semis were caught on the expressways in Detroit. Have they given up on the CB band?

ChrisWL1980

Post by ChrisWL1980 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:53 pm

I cut the cord not long ago and installed XCIPTV, which apparently does not carry WLNS, so my choices for Lansing-area storm coverage (of which I had an interest, having family in Okemos, which was directly in the path of the tornadic cells coming out of Eaton County - they came through it fine, not even losing power) were either WILX or WSYM. WSYM started continuous coverage late after airing a Big Bang Theory episode (already a minus for me, but even more so when there was dangerous weather in the area). WILX seemed to have only the weekend meteorologist on duty and he did the best he could but seemed overwhelmed.
Did any of the radio stations pre-empt local programming? In tuning around I didn't hear anything other than EAS alerts, at least not on any of the Lansing stations. I tuned into WLEW-FM's stream to see if they had any Port Austin information; heard no weather info aside from the pre-recorded forecast.

organman95

Post by organman95 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:55 am

sinklair wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:46 pm
Where was Kirtek, Bachman, Toldo? Isn’t it supposed to be all hands on deck when there’s a severe weather outbreak?
Depends on the station. In Michigan, I don't think the continuous coverage during severe weather has ever been the forefront. Some stations have had that policy in place for many years, but being that the type of severe weather typically isn't "H***" as in say the midwest, it's mostly been semi-short bulletins. The first continuous coverage I recall was WOOD-TV in Grand Rapids back in 2006. I had not seen anyone else until 7&4 started doing it after Sinclair bought the station.

I think the concept has increased over the past two decades. H*** storms such as Hurricane Katrina, the massive tornadoes in the midwest over the last 10 or so years have contributed to re-thinking how the weather and news are being sent to the population.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:26 pm

mr v wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 pm
Maybe I was doing it wrong, but at 6:35 PM Saturday when I clicked on the ABC 12 Livestream link on their website I had to watch a commercial, then it played Kevin Goff's 6 PM weather report. I was getting no up to date info on the approaching storms. Do live steams only take place at newstime?
See my post in the Neighbor States/Ontario section. Same exact problem- different location.

https://mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... =9&t=57994

Gray is not switching to live WX coverage. This could be a fatal problem, especially with cord cutters, who don't have antennas.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic