Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Sponsored Content

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Sponsored Content

Post by sinklair » Mon May 24, 2021 7:20 am

Last Week Tonight skewered the practice of sponsored content in local newscasts:

https://youtu.be/sIi_QS1tdFM

John Oliver took 25-66 owner Sinclair Broadcasting to task after the FCC fined it $13.4-million for airing sponsored news reports on the Huntsman Cancer Institute in its newscasts (including here in Flint) without proper sponsor identification.

https://variety.com/2017/politics/news/ ... 202647175/

Perhaps one of the biggest offender of this practice is TV5 which includes regular pay to play segments in its 9am newscasts. It’s not just whether the segments are labeled as sponsored content, it’s that these segments have little to no news value and there is no vetting of information presented as facts.

That’s what you get when you have all three local news stations headed by sales people and their news directors having no spine to stand up to sales directors.

If it weren’t true, the John Oliver segment would be great comedy. However, the practice of selling out our newscasts is just sad.

Martin Stett

Re: Sponsored Content

Post by Martin Stett » Mon May 24, 2021 8:16 am

"Brandigration" -- a new word straight from the Pit of Hell.

MasterB

Post by MasterB » Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 pm

FCC going to look at the TV group's sponsored content because of the John Oliver report. I know the MI AG office went after a business for making claims about COVID if you use it you aren't going to get it or some type of claim, they said on 8 West which Wood TV reported on it didn't mention the 8 West segment FTVLive took Wood TV to task.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 pm

25-66 has been dealing with the fallout from the FCC violation for years. Sinclair thinks everything now is OK because we are made to do extensive reports tracking our sponsored content in newscasts. However the corporate Death Star misses the point. These pay to play segments shouldn’t be in newscasts in the first place. There used to be clear separation— so much so that Account Executives (now renamed Marketing Consultants) would have been in big trouble if they were seen in the newsroom. No more. The money grubbing inmates are running the asylum and the new handpicked Sinclair GM, the In Over Her Head News Director and the Director of Declining Sales are all complicit in the erosion of trust in local news.

DAC

Post by DAC » Thu May 27, 2021 10:50 pm

On WPBN 7/4 Traverse City on Sunday night, I noticed there was something that started out as a "news report" and ended up being an infomercial during the 11 PM news. I wish I could remember what they were advertising. If my memory can pull it out of the cobwebs of my brain, I'll follow up on here. The only thing that was obvious that I can recall at the moment is that it was a Sinclair national report.

paul8539

Post by paul8539 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:41 pm

I have seen ads like that for several items. It is actually an ad, but it starts out like a news report 'This just in....'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic