Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 30 at 9:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Poor Audio

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
AuburnViewer

Poor Audio

Post by AuburnViewer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:47 pm

Maybe sinklair can answer this. Why is the audio for "Inside Edition" so bad? It's very poor when compared to "Entertainment Tonight" which is on just before it. It's almost like it's muted.

sinklair

Re: Poor Audio

Post by sinklair » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 pm

Auburn: not sure why Inside Edition has poor audio. Normally our engineers would want to know how you’re receiving the signal (over the air, cable, satellite provider, etc.). But since ET doesn’t have the same audio issues, it’s probably not a delivery issue. Call 25-66’s engineers and they can help troubleshoot.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 am

First thought... is 5.1 turned on, with only 2 speakers? And are those 2 speakers hooked up properly, as main L & R? Is your TV's compressor/leveler on? That may bring out abnormalities, normally not heard. We are also talking about a TV, right? Some PC do have 8VSB tuner cards.

I also have noticed networks are not refusing poor quality product too. Example: Mama's Family on NBC and DVD. Cleaner than an operating room. On MeTV and Logo, barely watchable. In this case, the AAC audio container within that mp4 could be low bitrate or sample rate. That can lead to artifacts. That leads me to Mama's Family again. The bitrate of that show sounds like it goes all the way down to 128 or even 92, with a variable bitrate.

Is it only during the show? What about the net spots? That observation alone can help to diagnose the issue.

Granted, I will never work for Sinclaire... but these are some thoughts and insight that may help.

AuburnViewer

Post by AuburnViewer » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:47 am

TeddyBear wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:26 am
First thought... is 5.1 turned on, with only 2 speakers? And are those 2 speakers hooked up properly, as main L & R? Is your TV's compressor/leveler on? That may bring out abnormalities, normally not heard. We are also talking about a TV, right? Some PC do have 8VSB tuner cards.

I also have noticed networks are not refusing poor quality product too. Example: Mama's Family on NBC and DVD. Cleaner than an operating room. On MeTV and Logo, barely watchable. In this case, the AAC audio container within that mp4 could be low bitrate or sample rate. That can lead to artifacts. That leads me to Mama's Family again. The bitrate of that show sounds like it goes all the way down to 128 or even 92, with a variable bitrate.

Is it only during the show? What about the net spots? That observation alone can help to diagnose the issue.

Granted, I will never work for Sinclaire... but these are some thoughts and insight that may help.
I have Charter/Spectrum so I don't TV through an antenna. This is just a recent problem, nothing has changed with our TV setup. We're also getting the sound cutting out for a second or two making it difficult to understand what's being said at times.

Deleted User 15331

Post by Deleted User 15331 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 am

The station should listen to the program in mono. I'm guessing that the audio channels are out of phase on that program.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:05 pm

Midlandguy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:06 am
The station should listen to the program in mono. I'm guessing that the audio channels are out of phase on that program.
That is a possibility also. But who's gonna take time to audition each program?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 pm

If that’s the problem, it should be getting caught by Master Control Ops who are supposed to be monitoring picture and audio quality during ingest and when it hits air.

Deleted User 15062

Post by Deleted User 15062 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:04 pm

sinklair wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:19 pm
If that’s the problem, it should be getting caught by Master Control Ops who are supposed to be monitoring picture and audio quality during ingest and when it hits air.
Hint: By that time, it's a tune-out factor. Way too late. And if it keeps happening, someone needs to find new employment or the company needs to find a new programming provider- that gets what "minimum broadcast standard" is.

Remember this as well: Most of the public has no idea on how to explain issues, nor do they ever know where or to whom to explain issues. This is really 90% of today's problems. And even more so with automation that does not need babysat by a person.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic