Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

Remote Control

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

Remote Control

Post by sinklair » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:26 am

There used to be an unsaid rule that you had to live in the DMA where you were reporting. It enabled you to better understand the issues, gave you a chance to make more contacts, allowed you to participate in community events and charitable causes, etc.

However, management at last place 25-66 doesn’t believe this rule applies to them. The In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales, the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, and the HR Director/Party Planner all live in the Detroit DMA. No wonder why they are out of touch with how to connect with our local communities and advertisers since they don’t live here.

MasterB

Re: Remote Control

Post by MasterB » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:45 pm

You live in Flint Sinklair, I know Wood TV weather anchor Ellen Bacca lives in Kalamazoo that is where she grew up there former weekend weather anchor Kelly Smith for WXMI Fox17 lived in Richland while she worked for the station. Not everyone lives in the city where they work some commute to work.

Go Pistons, Let's Go Redwings.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 pm

Master: but they live in the DMA where they broadcast. That’s the difference here. They “run” (term used very loosely for the 25-66 team of man agent yahoo’s) a TV station in the Flint-Saginaw TV market but live in the Detroit TV market.

The In Over Her Head News Director doesn’t watch her station or the competition. She comes in and critiques the Detroit stations — not helpful — but we all hope she gets “promoted” out of her current job.

It’s hard to be involved in your local community and develop the relationships needed to grow a last place station if you’re not involved in the local community.

The new GM is handicapped by a management team that is not connected to the communities it is supposed to serve. And that’s why the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales and the HR Director/Party Planner need to be shown other opportunities in the Detroit market.

Are they breaking any laws by living outside the market? Nope. But are they exhibiting the type of leadership that will get us out of the ratings basement? Nope. It’s their actions that have run morale into the ground.

DAC

Post by DAC » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:10 am

lovinlife101 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:19 am
sinklair wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:26 am
There used to be an unsaid rule that you had to live in the DMA where you were reporting. It enabled you to better understand the issues, gave you a chance to make more contacts, allowed you to participate in community events and charitable causes, etc.

However, management at last place 25-66 doesn’t believe this rule applies to them. The In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sales, the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, and the HR Director/Party Planner all live in the Detroit DMA. No wonder why they are out of touch with how to connect with our local communities and advertisers since they don’t live here.
It’s unconstitutional to force anyone to live anywhere.

Next unfounded accusation, please.
101 is right, although it could have easily been said without the pointless snark at the end. To my knowledge, this was originally challenged by city employed school teachers, firefighters, and police when they were forced to live in the city/township of their employer. It is in fact unconstitutional, a battle that was won some time in the mid to late 90s if memory serves. For me, if I had to live in the place of my employer, I wouldn't have ever had a job, dating back to being 16 years old. It's helpful to know your audience, of course. But it's not acceptable to dictate employee's place of residence. Now, with TV/Radio stations that cover multiple communities, one would think it wouldn't be that hard to find talent from their general area. This points to two things: a lack of local talent, causing stations to woo talent from other markets who don't want to move their residences, and broadcasters being so damn cheap that they'd rather import low paid talent from other markets to cover shifts at their station. I'm trying to think of the name of the female weather person at TV 5 who had kind of a long face, who was also working weekends in the Grand Rapids market, but I can't remember her name, other than she used a different last name depending on which station she was on at the time. I think she's permanently in the GR market now.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:54 am

DAC: low paid describes everyone at 25-66.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:45 pm

They get what they agreed upon when hired!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:00 pm

Dudley: then you also get the low quality news programs that you frequently complain about.

Regardless of what we initially agreed to, we as employees have every right to advocate for better pay, better work conditions, and to have managers who create a culture that allows us to create the best newscasts possible.

If 25-66’s managers don’t want to do their jobs, then they should expect low morale, high turnover and more posts on the Buzzboard and FTV Live. You might not think this is an effective way at creating change on Pierson Road, but I can guarantee that the new GM, ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the HR Director/Party Planner are obsessed over what we are writing daily on the Buzzboard. They can’t figure out who it is (they have multiple suspicions which have been wrong and can’t prove anything since it’s all being done off the clock and on private devices — sorry Chris and Mark).

So until things dramatically improve or several managers get fired/move on, we will be here and continue to post our concerns in an effort to improve working conditions for the news, production, master control, and promotions teams. Full stop.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:07 pm

I don't watch your unlocal news!

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:11 pm

Then why are you commenting on a media Buzzboard?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic