Acceptable registrations in the queue through March 16 at 11:00a ET have now been activated. Enjoy! -M.W.

Terms of Use have been amended effective October 6, 2019. Make sure you are aware of the new rules! Please visit this thread for details: https://www.mibuzzboard.com/phpBB3/view ... 16&t=48619

How bad are Sinclair’s Michigan TV stations?

Discussion pertaining to the Tri-Cities, Flint, Mt. Pleasant, and Bad Axe
sinklair

How bad are Sinclair’s Michigan TV stations?

Post by sinklair » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:35 am

Michigan has been the focus of a lot of national news coverage lately — from presidential politics to COVID to this week’s announcement that there was a plot to kidnap Gov. Whitmer.

So you’d think that Sinclair would share out the coverage from 25-66 in Flint or WWMT in Kalamazoo... right?

Nope. The mothership in Baltimore shared this story nationally that quoted WJRT’s coverage:

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/nation-wo ... n-michigan

That shows how poorly the company thinks of the work being done on Pierson Road by the In Over Her Head News Director...

sinklair

Re: How bad are Sinclair’s Michigan TV stations?

Post by sinklair » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:16 am

In recent years, 25-66 partnered up with WWMT and WPBN to hire a Lansing reporter to cover happenings at the State Capital. Mikenzie Frost, Nick Minock were able to cover elections, state legislation and its impact on our local communities. Now? (Crickets)

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:37 pm

What are you doing to make the situation better if everything sucks so much?

What's more pathetic: harassing an old man who is paying to do a radio show or supporting a grifter like Trump?

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 pm

Matt: good and fair question.

I go to work every day. I do my job well. I suggest improvements to my supervisor. I go well above what is required of me. So do my coworkers. We’ve played the game... only to see management constantly make poor decisions that have driven the station into the ground.

I had a supervisor who listened and supported us and change... only to have the former GM/egomaniac/accountant in chief push him out the door.

Luckily the old GM is gone. But many of his minions remain: including the ASSistant GM/Promotions Director, the In Over Her Head News Director, the Director of Declining Sakes and the HR Director/Party Planner.

There was initial hope that the new GM would make some much needed changes, but so far she’s been unimpressive. Low pay, low morale, high workload, lots of turnover, little diversity remain.

I do my job. My coworkers and I are waiting for management to start doing theirs. We’re not going anywhere. As regional manager Lame Michaelson tells us, “don’t suffer in silence.” So I’m not... even though Lame probably didn’t mean for us to go posting on the Buzzboard!

DAC

Post by DAC » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:31 pm

7&4 in the "tip of the mitt" area is horrible; somehow "sister station" 29&8 is even worse. 7&4 is the same type of hack operation as 25/66, except with talent that graduated from college last May, and 29&8 doesn't even provide any kind of news, unless you count 30 minutes of pre-taped weather at 11 PM each weeknight from the 7&4 crew. But, hey.. Hannah Cumler isn't bad looking, and might have the best name in TV news history. I wonder what she will change it to should she ever move up-market.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:37 pm

WPBN is a small market training ground. They’re small enough where they get overlooked. However the good ones —like Kristen Lowe — only need to survive a contract cycle before moving on up. WPBN has always been second fiddle to 9&10 and will continue to be until Sinclair is out of the picture.

If 25-66 is any indication, you’re not judged by doing quality work... only keeping cost down and airing all the corporate must run propaganda.

MWmetalhead
Site Admin

Post by MWmetalhead » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:21 pm

I haven't watched 7&4 News up north in a while, but a year ago, I thought the product was halfway decent. I actually preferred WPBN to WWTV, although not by a big margin.

WWMT on-air has been a pretty solid news organization for years, although their web site at times has left something to be desired.

YpsiGuy

Post by YpsiGuy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:57 pm

I see news out of Toledo, Detroit and Tri-cities.

IMO, the best local newscast is out of WTVG Toledo ABC 13. Lee Conklin and Diane Larson are veterans to local news.

WTVG is a Gray Television O&O.

The only reason to watch a Sinclair station is for the national content.

sinklair

Post by sinklair » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 am

WTVG is a good station, especially for its size. Gray tends to let its stations run themselves without the level of micromanagement that you see from Sinclair. However that means you need competent local GMs... unlike WJRT’s Pete Veto who ruined ABC 12 by letting go top talent and popular news Director Jim Bleicher. It’s never recovered.

As for Sinclair’s national content... it all blows. We either have to run the one-sided corporate propaganda or David Smith niece’s hard hitting investigative For Pet’s Sake stories.

https://nbc25news.com/features/for-pets-sake

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:45 pm

Sinclair should change his name to PAM (Piss and Moan)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic